Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jason koonce, Oct 17, 2018.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Obviously there can only be one correct answer here and that is of course the venerable Williams!!!! I mean how can you not like a soap that is a classic?
    Others to consider are Palmolive, either the stick or the tube. Derby actually makes a great cream that lathers wall and offers great protection. Tabac, again, it is a love/hate with this one, not on performance, but moreso on the scent.
    Taylor of Old bond street is a tried and true classic, and for a long time other than arko and Williams, those were the only 3 that I had. Also, one more company to consider would be "Regiment" they make great soaps, last a long while and when you are done, the tin has a nice thread on it, so you can use it to store more soaps. To finish off, have you considered Soap Commander?

brit and Frijolero like this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap
    $2.29
    https://tinyurl.com/yc4j5hdl

Also available in brick and mortar stores, and other online outlets.

It is available directly from Van Der Hagen for $2.99, still a very good deal.
    https://tinyurl.com/yc3vnpr2

Dirt cheap and an excellent shaving soap.

brit likes this.
  3. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I would suggest Barrister and Mann Reserve base. Outstanding slickness.

john zeiger likes this.
  4. Slivepe

Slivepe New Member

Recently I opened for myself cool shaving soap "Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap". I want to say this soap is the best of ever I have tried. That's free of parabens and preservatives and is purpose-made for sensitive skin. It's hard for me to find soap, after which I have no irritation, but after using this soap, everything is fine

5. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I agree.

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Recently i've been experimenting with a mix of Williams and Dove bathe soap. I've used Williams and Old Spice shave soaps for many years. They stopped making Old Spice soaps and Williams changed the Formula that I didn't like. A kilo of Cella is mostly my main soap, also VDH and Col. Conk. But in the past few months I've been trying a mix of Williams and Dove, I shave a puck of Williams ($1.49) and a half bar of a Dove soap ($0.60) on my grater into my shave bowl, I put the bowl in a fry pan filled with water and melt and press the 2 soaps together, put the bowl in fridge to harden. So far I have tried Dove Tangerine, Shea Butter, Cucumber and the Mens Brand. This Tallow based mix have made a fantastic shave soap. Works up a fast lather (clouds if you want) long lasting, very hydrating, very slick shave soap. I work up my lather right on the soap with soaked then shaken brush. I think this mix surpasses VDH and Col. Conk and I'd say is a close match with Cella and is very economical, I also like the choice of scents.