Soaps you have a love/hate relationship with.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Sep 28, 2018.

1. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Soaps I've tried & can't use are Stirling soaps. I've had irritation on my face using many of Stirling soaps & AS splashes. It's not a love/hate relationship, I'm just disappointed I can't use what is regarded by many to be such a wonderful line of soaps.

Joewa, RyX, Screwtape and 1 other person like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I already discussed my choice in a post long ago, but it still counts for this thread. I had the Clubman Shave Soap and would say I "loved" it because it was Clubman, but "hated" it because it was described in the website as having the Clubman Vanilla scent, but the puck didn't say "Vanilla", as I think it should have. I thought I'd try it anyway, as the Clubman Vanilla A.S. has received a lot of 5-star reviews in Amazon, and in the Clubman website itself, and later said, "where's the word 'Vanilla'. Perhaps a pet peeve here, but I call it a Great Dane peeve.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I like your concept of rotation.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    One thing that the 4+ years of traditional wet shaving has taught me...have whatever you want in your den as long as it is of high quality and facilitates a great shave. I have lost significant $$ weeding out the products that do not fit that criteria. Some things I definitely regret selling, but that's another thread.

5. yellowgiallo

yellowgiallo Well-Known Member

Uncle Jon's soaps. Love the soaps hate the labels. I know its just a label and it doesn't matter but it still bothers me. His barbershop scent might be my favorite scent in my collection.

6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

There are some soaps I won't purchase due to the label or the name. Some people won't understand, but I simply feel there is a standard that needs to be met.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

7. yellowgiallo

yellowgiallo Well-Known Member

Yea I get it for sure. It's just my OCD or something. Looks like it was made with a Windows 95 clip art. I understand smaller companies not wanting to spend a lot of money paying artists, they would be better off with basic universal labels like Mike's Natural or CRSW. Each to their own though.

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Dr Jon's Flowers in the Dark. Best Lavender scent I have smelled or used. Label is freaking awesome. Performance of the soap is mid-Tier. I will continue to use it, and probably buy more because I love the scent so much, but I wish it wasn't as drying and was slicker.
    Ogalla Bay Rum Sandalwood. Scent is fantastic. It made my face burn for hours. I don't seem to get along with Sandalwood.

One of the things I have realized on artisan soaps, is that some companies have scent blends that I love almost every one of them, (Jeeves of Hudson Street,) some that are about 50/50 (Barrister & Mann, Stirling,) and some companies that I have yet to find a scent that is fully in the "love it" category (Cattie's Bubbles and Blackship Grooming Co.) I won't keep a soap in my rotation that I don't love. I got into wet shaving mainly because I loved using artisan soaps. If I find a maker that seems to be pretty compatible scent wise, I tend to go nuts.

9. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

My only hate relation is it takes forever to use a tub ha ha. All soaps are great.

10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used to love Proraso Green but now I can’t stand it.

SharptoothC likes this.
  11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

LPL. For me, hard to lather, lather breaks down in even a mildly warm scuttle. I have several and they mainly draw dust.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Yehuda D and SharptoothC like this.
  12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

No love for the cherry almond scent of a lot of Italian soaps. I don't care how good they are, I won't use them.

Yehuda D, SharptoothC and brit like this.
  13. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I get a great shave from Cella but use it almost never because of the scent. I'll forget this and use it again.

Yehuda D, SharptoothC and brit like this.
  14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm o.k. with Valobra Menthol, pretty good stuff.

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Tabac.

16. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Arko

Like the price, ease of lather and I'm able to get along with the scent. But it burns my face.

WSP formula T

I'm one of the few that like the non tallow version better. Like their scent selections, lather well. But I almost get a weeper or two when I shave with it and post shave is a little lacking for my skin type.