[SOLVED] Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic Injector

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Dec 17, 2019.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day Den,

I need your help, please, because I've never owned a Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic Injector and no knowledge or experience about these type of razors.

I have two different types of injector blades a Personna PTFE Coated Key Injector and the Schick Proline B-20 without the key injector. I'm told to hunt down the Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic Injector, because, they've told me that I can manually load the blade by hand without any issue.

However, I'm completely confused and totally lost. How do I remove the base plate before I added the injector blade into the Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic Injector see pictures below?

Thank you.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Hydromagic feature is for cleaning with a blade in place, not for hand loading a blade as in the D or some E2 razors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chuck Naill and gorgo2 like this.
  3. SpeedyPC

Are you saying the base plate remains as part on the razor? so I just loaded the blade on top of the base plate??

Edit:- When I release the lever I can see two pins when through the base plate is that normal??

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

That’s not a base plate. It’s a dummy blade that comes with a new razor or it’s a blade.

Put the lever in the down position against the handle and inject one of the Personna blades. The new blade will push out the old one.

Look for a how to video online

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The picture you presented of the base plate is the blade itself, to remove the blade all you do it clamp the blade and eject with a new blade. It is very easy and a nice feature for cleaning your razor after the shave. I would use the Personna injector blades first because they are designed for your razor were the Schick proline B-20 are designed for Shavettes and are just different blades.

gorgo2 and SpeedyPC like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

NOW!!!! I fully understand.... I thought I suppose to release the lever first before loading the blade.

8. John Beeman

9. John Beeman

Just be careful not to force the blade. Sometimes they will jam a little bit and you don’t want to run the edge against the blade stops on the razor. Also you don’t want to find out how much blood can come out of your thumb.
    The plastic loaders are more finicky and prone to malfunction than the metal ones.
    As many times as I’ve done it I still have a blade that doesn’t want to load occasionally.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Long ago I once Dremeled something out of a Hydromagic so I could load blades by hand, but it wasn't worth it when the E-2 already does it as is.

SpeedyPC and Ron R like this.
  11. SpeedyPC

Problem solved, Thank you.... Thank you and Thank you.

Have a great Christmas all and a Happy New for 2020.

12. SpeedyPC

I’ll keep my eyes open for the Schick E2 model

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Happy Christmas Everybody!

Yo Speedy....thats a beauty you got, right there!!
    I think the I2 Hydro-zilla was the apex of injector design. Although, I never met a Schick I didn't LOVE

BUT if there could be only one! A Highlander Razor if you will...Mine would be the Hydro-magic...for many reasons on too many levels to get into here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SpeedyPC likes this.
  15. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

But it should be pretty easy to load a blade manually with a Hydromagic. I have one, but haven't tried it yet, neither for loading nor shaving.

In today's world, being able to remove a blade and trasnferring it to another razor without ruining it is an extremely useful feature. I guess when they designed these, they didn't anticipate us crazies who would have so many razors in our rotation that we would want to stick the blade in a different razor almost daily. I'm not sure they would have even known what a "rotation" was in the context of shaving!
    ;)

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You can't just open the I2 to load or remove a blade. There's a piece that holds the blade in place while the head is opened for cleaning. You'd have to clip that piece if you wanted the I2 to behave like a Schick D or E2.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

17. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I just looked at the Type 'I' I have -- I see those prongs that move up to go thru the holes in the blade when you open it up. That being said, I'll need to try it with a blade, but it certainly looks like there is enough space to load a blade manually, and when you close it, those prongs move back down. I can see an issue with removing a blade manually, though. I also have a '500' with the same mechanism -- I'll take a look at that one, but in both cases, I'm sure that when I received both of them, they had old blades installed that were easily removed.

My E has a fixed spring -- I don't have any with moveable springs.

I guess the people in the 30s, 40s, and 50s had butter fingers -- as much as I like the way injectors shave, I think the loading mechanism was an overly complicated design that solved a problem that didn't really need to be solved. But what do I know? To me, that mechanism probably dulled more blades before the first shave than people back then realized.

I like being able to expose all parts of the razor for a thorough cleaning. I don't subscribe to the theory that loading a new blade is all the cleaning that needs to be done to those inacessible parts -- especially when you buy a used razor.

I load my Supply razor manually -- but that's just me. YMMV.

Edit: You were right -- I was wrong. My 500 has a dummy in it -- I can't remove it! :p My 'I' is empty -- not sure how I emptied it or if it came that way. My 500 was probably never used -- it came in the original case, with a full pack of 7 blades. It says "Krona Comfort Edge" on it -- red, white and green.

I see why they designed it that way, yet that design doesn't fit my needs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    jmudrick likes this.