Some great pricing moves by Gillette

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Not to mention they have to go back on almost 40 years of marketing that more blades is better.

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Perhaps you think you are the last word on cart users, far from it, just ignorant. I've been shaving for 60 years now and have used about everything ever to hit the market, my technique is better than most due to all that experience. I happen to use a cart because I get as good a shave as with any other tool out there, the cost is quite reasonable and I got fed up with the PIA changing of blades every three days along with safely disposing of them. I also have some age and medical related issues that make carts the safest way to shave. I don't give a darn what you or anyone shaves with but get off this bovine manure of belittling anyone who does not do it your way, it simply highlights your ignorance.

brit, gorgo2 and Badgerstate like this.
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I was gonna say 'a rats behind' but well put.

I am wet shaver Libertarian. :cool:

PickledNorthern and Badgerstate like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I think cartridges and disposables are good for many people. I also believe that _at base_, the DE, SE, and straights _will_ give a closer shave, more easily, than either a disposable or cartridge. That has nothing to do with sharpness - just the physical reality of 'blade against skin' vs 'blade held slightly away by plastic'.

That's it. So, if you've worked out how to shove a cartridge razor against your face correctly, you'll get a good shave. You just have to work at it a bit more to get full coverage.

Cart/disposables are simply much more wasteful. Iron is easier to recycle than plastic, and the SE/DE blades being disposed of are much less volume than the same number of plastic disposables.

Me? I tried disposables and I tried cartridges. More damage from those than my trusty SuperSpeed. That's it. That's _me_.

5. Badgerstate

That's my issue with them. I can shave with a disposable/cart and get very good shaves but I hate that they aren't recyclable. I hate that you use them 3 or 4 times and then they sit in a landfill for the next 1000 years or so.

brit likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Gonna be kinda hard to pull that rug out from under people.

Badgerstate likes this.
  7. Badgerstate

Yup, that's why they'd have to spin it as some kind of novelty.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yup.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lol. Love when you get riled. Dont like my post ignore me. There is zero skill in carts. If you like them fine...or rather if you need to use them. Don't like my post either ignore me or start your own forum and ban me. But it's ok to sit and growl too I enjoy reading it.

brit likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I know what he wanted to say :innocent

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The best way to answer that is a simple ...yep. I agree. Carts just suck though. Kinda like auto parking on a car. Much more satisfying to do it myself.

brit and Kilgore Trout like this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Sensor 3 is newer than the Mach3. However, the Mach3 has just had an upgrade and the Gillette3 has special new coatings.

• New Gillette3 and Gillette5 razors: To meet the needs of the growing number of men who want high quality refillable razors for a lower price, Gillette will introduce two brand new razors: Gillette3 and Gillette5. For under $10, these new razors provide the trusted quality of Gillette at an unbeatable value for men. These razors deliver an ultra-close and comfortable shave and a new soft Aqua Grip™ handle that provides strong grip and total control, even when wet. Gillette5 also features Atomic Carbon and Telomer coatings that enhance blade durability shave after shave. Priced* at just $7.99-$9.99, these three- and five-bladed razors allow guys to enjoy Gillette’s unparalleled blade quality at keenly competitive prices.
    Gilette's PR release.

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Yeah, they go rusty and you have to strop them with paste. They also give you nasty weepers and deep cuts if you are not concentrating. Oh wait, that's the other kind of razors. Carts along with the injector are convenient and idiot proof whilst delivering a BBS shave.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I see why you use carts.

15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like a BBS shave.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

When you get ready to lose the training wheels come play with the big boys. We have the more fun toys.
    I am at work. Gotta get back at it. Latersssssssss.

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I got more cuts with carts than DE's. Especially when you were trying to get the clogs out.

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have shaved with straights, shavettes with DE and injector blades, sifters with cabinet and propriety blades, Feather AC, Weck's, Durham Duplex, DE, Injector, Gem, and One Blade with Feather SE. What toys am I missing?

I have more razors than you can dream of.

19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

How do you have a clogged razor?

20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Hmm... "enhance blade durability shave after shave"... Does that mean that the blade gets *more* durable with each shave? As in, if I use the cartridge enough times, then it will last forever? Somehow, I don't think Gillette would want that.

As for "Atomic Carbon", that sounds more like the name of a band or a car color. :) Never mind that "Telomer" just sounds like the gratuitous use of a scientific term.

brit likes this.