Some help deciding

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bbaker, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bbaker

bbaker Active Member

Alright...thanks to the generosity of @wristwatchb edwin jagger is on the way! (among some other things! Thanks again!) What are the top 5 blades I should try in the jagger? Right now I have a AoS Black acrylic handled pure badger travel brush. Is there something better that I can get for $15? Is a standard ceramic bowl from the kitchen okay to build a lather in?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

️Brush, try an Omega 10066 around $10, great brush.
    Blades, I'd go with a sampler pack. Check out TryABlade.com
    You can face lather, or use the bowl from the kitchen.

Boojum1 and wristwatchb like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:Face lathering is the way to go. Good for the skin, quicker, less to clean up...
    You might also try...
    ZCOLDWATER.jpg

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Would you look at that...the generocity of the den always amazes me. Good on you wristwatchb. I agree that a blade sampler is the best way to go. I have been impressed with some of the Rapira blades recently.

Boojum1, SRNewb and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Not only is a blade sampler a great way to start out, I am finding it is rewarding to try out sampler further down the road to reassess blades with more experienced eyes. I have been working through a sampler I got as a gift over the holidays, and I am surprised how different my response to some blades is. I am liking blades I hated and hating blades I liked. Plus it's fun. I may make it a yearly tradition!

Boojum1 and bbaker like this.
  6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

You definitely want to have at least one (if not all ) of the following blades in your sampler. This is obviously not an exclusive list and reflects my bias towards Russian blades.
    Astra SP
    Rapira ( I prefer PL)
    Voskhod
    Gillette (I prefer black, Silver blue is great, Yellow)
    Super Iridium
    Bolzano

Tryablade.com would be a great place to sample some of these.
    YMMV

RaZorBurn123 and Boojum1 like this.
  7. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

A sampler is a good idea. Of the blades I've tried and love, though, not all of them are in samplers.
    Astra SP
    Crystal or Israeli Red
    SuperMax Platinum

Of these, only the Astra comes up in samplers regularly. But most of the sampler packs contain enough variation that you should find something that works well for you. You can try the others, and any more you might want to, later.
    I would second a good boar brush. Omega is a solid choice, but I'd recommend Semogue for consideration as well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

+1

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Face Lathah!
    And pick a sampler pack of blades, but in that baby I prefer Reds.

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Don't forget a shaving bandanna.

Lexicon Devil and wristwatchb like this.
  12. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

upload_2015-1-10_0-38-21.jpeg

Semogue makes great boar brushes. All brushes in the photo are around $20 with the exception of the Owners Club which is around $45. I just use regular bowls and mugs for lather. You'll pay 10x the price if something is made specifically as a shaving item. Definitely an area where you can get creative to save some money

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I believe you can still get the SOC boar brush for $26 shipped from vintages cents with the 10% discount code that expires in 2018

14. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I own the 1438, 1460 and 1470. They are awesome brushes. If I had to pick just one, the 1460 would get the nod, because I like the painted handle. But the 1470 is the same knot in a slightly different handle. Both of mine are well broken in, and softer than my softest badger. The 1438 has a slightly lesser grade knot, but not so different as to be inferior in any way. And the handle colors and styling are just classic. Lovely brushes, Semogue.

15. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Deleted. Duplicate.