Some soaps you won't buy again?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Arko-I am fine with the scent, it just doesn't have the post shave feel that I like. It leaves me too dry sometimes. That being said, the four sticks I have left are going to take me well into 2019 or so, so this isn't an "I'll never use Arko again because it's smelly" kind of thing. There's just too many other great soaps and creams out there-Mystic Water for example.

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Castle Forbes Lime EO shaving cream (scent)

Primotenore likes this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Williams. Unless I'm in need of a urinal cake.

Terry, Metro, impetus and 1 other person like this.
  4. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Amen all day about the GFT. Acquired a puck of the coconut scent soap last Christmas. Tried desperately to get it to be even 5% useful to no avail. It's still sitting in the closet collecting dust. Even the trash can doesn't deserve this catastrophe.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Arko and Fume - for some reason these two Turkish soaps cause my face to burn. To bad cuz I like the scents/performance of them.

6. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

Williams, Even when I really work at it and get the lather to cooperate my face feels angry after the shave. The vintage formula (before Combe tampered with it) was great.
    Col. Conk Santa Fe Cedar. Same reason, which was surprise because my first soap was Col. Conk Bay Rum and I liked it.
    Marvy. Big bubbly mess.

I'm trying to reduce the number of soaps I use, so there are some I actually like that I probably won't buy again. I'd like to use just Cella and an artisan soap or two for a change of pace.

7. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

Van Der Hagen. Lathers fine but leaves my face feeling pretty dry compared to my other soaps and the smell is not nearly as good as my other soaps either.

8. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

This is an odd thread.. Maybe odd isn't the correct word. Definitely a lot of cases of YMMV. I see a lot of major brands that I see getting a lot of love and recommendations in the SOTD yet are listed multiple times in multiple "never again" posts.

While I have not tried them all, I have had excellent lather/results from Crabtree & Evelyn and WSP. Two of my favorite soaps at the moment. C.O. Bigelow's is very similar to C&E to me and also a favorite.

Ones I will add to the list of never again, due to lack of and disappearing lather are...

Sweedish Sea Salt "shave soap"
    Lightfoot's Pine "shave soap"
    Captain's Choice

I understand people's lack of love for Williams and VDH, but I have no problem with them. But I do know there is better out there.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Soaps:
    VDH- I can't get the lather to where I want it.
    Col. Conk- that soap is just terrible.
    TOOBS- the soap's lather is lackluster, much like the previous two.
    Yeti Snot- again, the lather sucks. I lathered it up and it immediately dissipated. I rinsed my brush out and re-lathered with Palmolive Menthol.
    HTGAM/Phoenix/whatever the name of that company is now- the whole company is a sham and the lather sucks.
    Proraso soap- I really love the blue cream in the tube, but I can't stand the soap. The lather is too airy, lacks slickness, cushion, and skincare.
    Cella- something in it irritates my skin which is a shame because I love how it lathers up.

Creams:
    Proraso Green- that cream irritates my skin so badly and the menthol is nothing to brag about compared to Ingram, Lea Menthol, and Palmolive Menthol.
    La Toja- it has no slickness and irritates my skin.
    Apis Ice Rain- the lathering properties are non existent.

10. StephenG

StephenG New Member

MdC
    Cella
    B&M
    Razorock
    Stirling
    MWF
    Tiki
    St. James
    PAA/HTGAM

11. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

All of my favorite brands :(

Any particular reason why you are getting away from these labels? Just curious

Spyder likes this.
  12. StephenG

StephenG New Member

Yes all of these burned my face. PAA is owned by a disreputable person who will never see one dime from me.

Mike Brown likes this.
  13. damnitgoose

100% agree with you on PAA. Same with Crown King

14. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Okay I will jump on the Williams band wagon as well. But two soaps I am really on the fence about are the La Toja Stick and the Spieck Shave Stick. Others rave about them, but to me they are just "meh". Neither of those two sticks are terrible, just not WOW.
    In the "artisan" line. I am disappointed that my face is irritated by most of the Chiseled Face products. It is an amazingly slick and luxurious soap, but based SOLELY on the skin irritation, I probably will have to pass on future purchases.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  15. SoCal326

SoCal326 New Member

MWF, the stuff won't lather when using San Diego tap water and I'm too lazy to buy bottled water for lathering. If I move I'll try it again.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I wonder if a couple of drops of glycerin on the puck would help it lather?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Interesting thing I observed so far. Dr Harris ( soap) makes the list a lot & I agree. However the DR Harris cremes are outstanding IMO. Not as good as CF but very good.

18. damnitgoose

On the flip side, I use that sea salt soap as my bath soap and use it all the time. Very nice bath soap, but a soap that should not be used to shave with.

Mustache likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Catie's Bubbles Icean Breeze. My skin turns bright red when I use it.

20. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

Trumpers and Crabtree and Evelyn were terrible performers, wouldn't produce a stable lather at all.

Cella, burned my face.