Some soaps you won't buy again?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 3, 2015.

1. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Had to revive this thread. After close to 3 years i finally had to throw away what was left of my cella. There was probably 85 percent remaining. Unfortunately the scent had all gone away, leaving a very animalistic scent that was very off putting.

If all you have is a couple soaps then cella is great but i have to many to get through all of them.

I dont know what it is about cella but its the only soap ive seen do this.

tuxxdk and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Won't buy Body Shop Maca Root shave cream again. When I started using it I enjoyed it very much. Great scent and a great lather. However, I started developing a sensitivity to this soap after a while...burned my skin. Pity...I really liked it...

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Well I can't stand seeing sooo many of you hating this many soaps.. I'm going to help you all. Pm me and I'll send you my address. I'll take these retched soaps so they don't have to ruin another shave again.
    :)

Terry, brit, David Green and 3 others like this.
  4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Hahaha...brilliant move sir. If your postman starts to complain send them my way

Jorvaljr and BigCabDaddy like this.
  5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Cella has very few ingredients. Perhaps some of the "unpronounceable" in many other soaps helps keeping them "fresh".

I've read stories like yours before, so it has made me use my Cella more often now. Would hate to see it go rancid or loose it's precious almond scent. :)

theFAT98 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

You might be right. Its a great scent and great performer i just have to many soaps.

I dont know why it goes bad. Ive had Mike's Natural for even longer and havent seen a change. It has a small ingredient list also.

BigCabDaddy and tuxxdk like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Late to this, but don't give up on a great scent. Get some unscented Kiss My Face (KMF) cream and add a bit to the Trumpers lather. The KMF will boost the lather without covering any of the scent you like. KMF is vastly underrated. It lathers up great!

theFAT98, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  8. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Here we go again. KMF was one of my first soaps post Williams and I didn't like it at all. ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What didn't you like?

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

1. Relatively thin lather
    2. Lack of glide or protection
    3. Post shave feel or lack thereof
    I'm just a tallow kind of guy.

11. K-zone

K-zone Well-Known Member

When I crossed over from the cartridge three years ago (and initially bought way too much stuff) I ordered probably four or five shaving soaps, one of which being:

The Men's Soap Shop
    Shaving Soap #5
    Bergamot

YMMV you know the deal - Others may like it, but it just wasn't for me.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. K-zone

K-zone Well-Known Member

I like Cella and will keep that in mind, I bought a brick a few months back. I filled a tub for the rotation, a couple tubs for gifts, and keep the yet to be used portion in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Robyflexx and tuxxdk like this.
  13. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

The Soaps I won't buy again are good performers I won't buy them again because of the scents
    Arko
    Wilkinson sword
    VDH Deluxe...only because the luxury is nicer.
    Proaso white

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  14. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

DR Harris - dries quickly and does not seem to have a lot of lubricity at all to it.
    Conk soaps - tried an Almond soap and it was just "meh".

Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  15. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Southern Witchcrafts
    Soap Commander
    PAA
    Strop Shoppe
    MDC
    Caties Bubbles
    WSP
    MLS
    Stirling
    Chiseled Face
    RazoRock

MDC for the cost per ounce and the lather I get (drying) not worth it for me.

Strop Shoppe was a huge buy for me at the start but the performance compared to newer soaps is terrible. However, the scents she was able to produce are simply top notch.

I never do well with vegan soaps and why SC and PAA make the list. I do love the performance of SC balms.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    CastleShave likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

cella,williams, wilkinson tub.. cella- not an almond or food scent guy unless its citrus, williams-5 pucks, wilkinson sword tub- smells fake, prefer the stick..

jtspartan likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Arko
    RazoRock
    Krampert's
    WSP
    Meißner Tremonia
    DR Harris
    Castle Forbes
    Myrsol
    Catie's Bubbles
    Tabula Rasa
    Brutalt Bra
    Chatillon Lux
    Saponificio Veresino
    PAA
    Cyril R. Salter
    Simpson
    MdC
    Czech & Speake
    Dusy Kabinett
    Palmolive
    Fine
    Mystic Water

Nicked, CastleShave, bayercy and 4 others like this.
  18. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

Southern Witchcraft - I don't remember which scent it was but it smelled like wet dog before lathering and wetter dog after.

Cella - Can't stand the scent

MDC - Left my face feeling dried out everytime I used it.

B&M - This one's not a definite but I have found that at least 90% of the time I don't care for the scents and even if I do like them at first I'm ready to move on after the 3rd or 4th shave.

Bay Rum or Marzipan Scented Soaps - Only one in my den currently is Mystic Water Bay Rum and that might not last much longer.

brit and jaxstraww like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Only one soap that was memorable enough to stick in my mind - Marvy. Maybe it was setting on the shelf too long. Smelled like spoiled ham. Perhaps the tallow went rancid?

I've purchased a couple of soaps from small time local Artisans. Kept thinking I might "discover" the next big thing. Hasn't happened yet. Their bath soap might be acceptable, but none have impressed me with their shave soap.

Linuxguile, brit and jtspartan like this.
  20. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

D.R. Harris
    ToOBS
    Cella (only because of the scent)
    PAA
    Razorock

brit likes this.