Some thoughts on honing razors..

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Oct 1, 2009.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hmmm...I've done that with the sand paper I get in the automotive section. I'll bet the film is even better.

2. Blade

Blade Member

What a great post - I wish I'd said that! I agree 100% with the original statements - I get so many guys asking me which hone to use for different jobs and now I can just point them to this post! As someone who makes his bread & butter from honing for others it might seem odd for me to want to give advice to guys wanting their own razors but it isn't - there will always be the ones who haven't time or simply don't want to do it. Too, knowing how to take care of a thing gives that thing greater value in the eyes of the owner - and it gives me a kick to see all the newcomers sticking to SR shaving - and posts like this are one reason they do!

As a rider - my hone 'battery' is quite extensive and one thing I find is that diiferent hones work better with some blades than others, so if you do find that a razor won't 'take' on a particular hone just try another if possible - the results may surprise you.

Keep up the good work!:happy096

3. sffone

sffone Member

Thank you so very much for this information. As a newbie to straightrazor shaving, yours was by far the single most important source of information I've come across about honing. I've been shaving with straights for a couple of months, but have not yet mastered the art of honing. So far, my honing efforts have done more harm than good. A lot of my problem was the confusion that stemmed from all the discussions, debates, and opinions about the countless hones, pastes, etc.

One question -- what's the function of chromium oxide? Is it useful for putting the final polish on a straightrazor? I've attempted to use chromium oxide to put the finishing touch on a couple of freshly honed razors and it seems to actually dull the blades. Classic Shaving says of its chromium oxide that "it takes the "bite" out of a very sharp, aggressive edge. Over-use will decrease the closeness of the shave." So, it seems to me that chromium oxide should not be used to put the final polish on a blade -- your thoughts, please?

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Classic Shaving should stick to selling products, and stop putting descriptions for "use" up on their website... Sorry but I actually have written them a few times about their mis-leading descriptions, with no changes, nor even a response back... Nuff said there...

Paste is a funny thing the CrOx is the most universal I have used along with the CeOx but to much of a good thing is bad... Too much actually on the stropping surface, or to many laps, either one can do more harm than good...

I always start at 10 laps,,,

As to how much to use??? Josh Earl over at SRP put up a great illustrated series about it long ago... Simply put, start off with just drawing X's down the stropping surface, and go from there...

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. sffone

sffone Member

Thanx for the information -- I really appreciate it, and I'm sure other newbies do, also.

6. traditionalist

traditionalist New Member

ok.....you lost me here....what do you mean "final stropping"? so there is 2 parts to the stropping? or do you mean as far as grit size goes?

great post btw.

7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Yes there is a stropping progression also... I would never think of shaving off a pasted strop....

Keep in mind much of this is totally un-necessary for the daily upkeep and shaving of straight razors, our Father's, Grandfather's, and various ancestors would most likely laugh at us ...

That being said this is a hobby to many of us not just a way to get hair off our face...

Also keep in mind that my way of doing things, is my way, it ain't everybody else's way....

But after the hones I decide what/if paste I am going to use on this razor...
    I do the pasted laps then go to Illinois Linen and do 50 laps... At this point in time is when I check the edge under a 40X loupe for micro-chipping or any other problems, the linen will bring out problems if there are any...
    Then come 75 laps on a smoothed Illinois #827 then my HHT then 25 laps on a SRD Premium I strop then a test shave... Then 25/50 on the SRD webbing and leather and off to the customer or in the drawer if it's mine...After that every time I take a razor out to shave they get 25/50 before a shave on the SRD...

Again I will say this is just my routine, you are more than welcome to try it....

8. traditionalist

well thank you for explaining it a little more. well it sounds like you get the sharpest edge possible and thats also what im looking for so sorry if i ask so many questions. but that helps a lot thanx.

9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Please ask away, You have to understand I love this hobby, and I will blab and blab about it :D

10. traditionalist

good to know. :D

11. Foodle

Foodle New Member

Nice read thanks... that really helped allot!

12. turbine712

turbine712 New Member

Thanks Glen.
    Everyone, Glen has been on of the gentlemen who has helped me with questions about everything from shaving to honing. There are a lot of people who have a wealth of information and I hope people who have questions, search these people out. they are the experts who have spent hour and hours developing this art of SR shaving.
    As Glen does say, "this is my way of doing things", it may not be the best way for you but his information is golden. Soon people will spend time to figure out what works best for them. That is the key to this straight razor shaving journey.

13. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Thanks Glen,
    All new straight razor users need to see this post :)

14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Note to New readers, this list of info was done before Myself and Lynn Abrams did the "One Stone Hone" experiments, so please keep in mind that many of these stones have much more use than what is reflected here...

I have an entire Video set on how to do that on my YouTube Channel as well as how to use many of the Systems I have outlined here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/gssixgun?feature=mhee

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow really detailed and help full, I'm gonna try honing this year thats for sure great piece of info. with a good break down of requirements.

BillP2000 likes this.