Something wrong with my Gillette Guard?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DonMac, Oct 20, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

A while back I ordered 2 Gillette Guard razors with 20 extra carts online for $11.00 with free shipping. I really didn't know what to expect, and basically was simply curious after reading many positive reviews. I didn't expect much, and thought worst case scenario, if I didn't like it, I have lots of wet shaving friends to gift it to.

We'll now after over 30 shaves, I am still on the same original cart, and it still shaves like it's never been used.

Although the razor is very light, which is easily remedied by hot gluing a bolt into the hollow handle, and is very basic in design, I have come to the conclusion that Gillette has done something very special with this razor.

After researching how they perfected this razor for cutting heavy whiskers using minimal water, and an open back preventing clogging I believe Gillette is using some technology on the blade of this particular razor they are not using on other blades.

I have what I would consider to be average whiskers, and with this razor, one pass with a little buffing provides me with a BBS shave each and every time. I have no other razor that will do that!

I have been wet shaving many years, and have a very extensive collection of vintage and new production razors of every type and flavor. I have never experienced anything like this particular razor.

Either I have a magic razor, Gillette is producing a blade on these razors with a technology they are not using on other razors, or there is something wrong with my particular razor, in that I seem to have a blade that is not diminishing in shaving quality even after dozens of shaves?

How is this possible?

engrsaks and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I can shave 2, max 3 (normal 3 pass shaves) with a cart and it's done. I like the Guard, but only for emergencies on vacations etc. I mean, I could properly push the cart for more shaves. Perhaps it stays at it's level after 3 shaves for long, who knows?

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Isn't the guard also marketed/used for prevention of ingrowns?

5. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Yes.
    Well, after reading the posts on longevity from the individual in Bombay receiving 130 shaves on the first cart, I guess my 30+ shaves is just the beginning.
    I loaned one of my Guards to my buddy who is from India, and after using it once, he won't give it back. LOL
    Obviously, everyone has different experiences with different razors and blades, but personally, I am thrilled with this simple inexpensive little piece of plastic.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    engrsaks and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's bad.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

:sad024: And they are not marketing this in Pakistan, the country right next to India.