SoS: April 15, 2013 - April 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Thursday
    Pre: Proraso Preshave
    Cream: Proraso Green
    Brush: Omega 49
    Razor: G8 injector
    Blade: Schick (4) and 3 passes
    Aftershave: Proraso Green
    Cologne: Old Spice

A great shave

Gairdner, ohpaos, youngunn and 9 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

2013 Muhle R41 - Voskhod
    Omega 42 - Klar Kabinett
    Alum - Superior 70 - Nord Ost ASB

The new R41 has much less blade exposure than the 2011 version, but still provided a nice close shave.

Gairdner, ohpaos, Shawna and 10 others like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

CREME-A-RASER-TUBE-60-ML2g.jpg 444_gel_01-340x340.jpg 223796453.jpg Thursday:

NXT Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing:
    #6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/Rapira day 4
    Aquabarba SC :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    444 AS Balsam :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Grey Flannel EDT

This shaving journey took me to Tunisia where this nice Aquabarba cream is from - great lather with a minty scent, and plenty of menthol. After that, a lay-over in Portugal for the wonderful 444 balsam which really gave me a strong menthol kick, and finally back home where Aqua Velva is found, and we all know how cooling and soothing that stuff is. What a fantastic shave! ;) :D

Gairdner, ohpaos, Shawna and 12 others like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

J. Rogers & Sons
    D. R. Harris Eucalyptus SC
    23mm WSP HMW

Crazy busy week so far. Nice shave this morning. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]
    tinypics

Gairdner, crackstar, ohpaos and 10 others like this.
  5. Richard Jackson

Richard Jackson Well-Known Member

i love skin bracer, its so manly. have a nice day!
    002.JPG

oscar11, Gairdner, crackstar and 9 others like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Thursday From Florida!

The dusting off of neglected gear continues:

Hot shower
    Marvy mug
    Vintage Williams
    Rubberset aluminium / TGN synthetic re-knot
    Sir Grapfellow Injector G
    EMS blade (1)
    Cold water rag
    Aqua Velva

3-passes = DFS+!

Have a great day Ya'll!

image.jpg

oscar11, Gairdner, crackstar and 13 others like this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Is it just the weight of the handle that makes the difference?

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

AHHHH Sir Grapefellow's long awaited reappearance.....:happy096:

Thursday's Shave
    Arko SS/Omega 10029
    Gem OC Micromatic/Gem SS d1
    Arko-Nem moisturizer/Old Spice AS

Man this Micromatic has been taking 'no-prisoners'....everyday it knocks them out of the park and in such an effortless irritation-free fashion.
    Yesterday was shave 8 on that blade and I was a little cautious at the start of today's shave, as it was my first with a Day1 blade in this razor...After 2 strokes I realized no need to worry...In fact...it was even faster and more effortless and such a pleasure...

I am now officially a raving fanatic in the Micromatic Camp....This OCMM is the real deal...one of the hippest razor designs of all-times...

Great Shaves Everyone

9. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

OK, first outing with the Fat Boy. Tried to keep everything 'normal' so only change was the razor and blade.
    Warm shower, RSC face scrub, chamomile&glycerine soap
    Home made pre-shave oil (loving this stuff)
    Palmolive stick whipped up with a Vuvfix 404
    Fat Boy and Gillette Super Thin (1)
    The plan was to do three passes: 5;3;3
    However, due to not wearing glasses in the bathroom, I actually had: 5;7;3 (doh!!)
    Cold splash followed by alum block
    Armani Aqua de Geo ASB

Result: not quite the shave I was expecting due to turning the dial the wrong way. Setting 3 is very mild and 5 was fine too.
    Tomorrow I try: 7;5;3 and will have my glasses with me!

oscar11, Gairdner, ohpaos and 9 others like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thursday - another day closer

Prep: Hot shower, AoS pre-shave oil
    Coffee: Maxwell House French Roast, BLACK
    CD: Glenn Kaiser ~ Blues Heaven, Vol. II
    Soap: TSD SOTQ B1, Winter Pagoda + 4 drops TSD M Bomb
    Brush: Omega 11574
    DE: Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: Astra SP, day 4, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, Dickenson's WH, B&BW Noir, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: Steve's Own

Darn near BBS. Great shave.

11. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Thursday
    Kent BK*8/Ayars Bowl
    hot shower
    Proraso PrePost Cream (Green)
    Ach Brito Lavanda SC
    Joris 1912T/Perma-Sharp Super (2)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cool water rinse
    Thayer's Lavander WH
    Ach Brito Lavanda I added some RazoRock King Louis Aftershave Wax while my face was still moist and it worked out great.I should add I only used a tiny amount.

12. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Wednesday:

First day with my Gillette Slim Adjustable. It was strange... with it only set to "1" I felt a lot more blade than I think I'm used to. With my Merkur I hardly notice the blade is there. Stranger still, after I finished my full regimen I felt NO irritation. Not a BBS but I knew not to push it. Still feels good, as it is.

Pre: Shower, normal mild scrub with Shea Moisture Facial Cleanser, Anthony Logistics Preshave Oil
    Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Blade: Wilkonson Sword Classic
    Cream: Arko Moist
    Post: Warm rinse, Styptic pencil, cooler rinse, Oil of Olay Toner, Anthony Logistics A/S Balm, Captain's Choice shave 417.jpg Lime A/S (this stuff is GREAT!)

13. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Thursday morning, April 18, 2013

Schick E2 Injector with Personna blade (7)
    Semogue 1250 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

Arko 6.JPG

oscar11, Gairdner, crackstar and 10 others like this.
  14. Bird Lives

and what a fantastic global tour....I love getting my world tours vicariously through C-S's shav-a-log's....I can feel the minty Tunisian breezes and the cool Portugesian Freezes...lol.....You got style, my friend...:happy096:

crackstar, PanChango, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Man...it sure is great seeing you back.....:happy096:....you keep healing and we'll keep sending the prayers....deal?

Man...I never would have believed it...but you did it...you survived your RAD and settled down with that sweet little R41....How long has it been now? We should have an anniversary celebration....any excuse to celebrate anyway....:happy097:

crackstar, ohpaos and macaronus like this.
  16. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

IMHO, I think it's more blade exposure than the handle weight. When you look down at the top plate, there is a lot of blade exposed. (Slightly more than the Grande.) I think this extra blade exposure in combination with the short, skinny but heavy handle works to increase the aggressiveness of the Piccolo. I think it feels rather head heavy as well. Although the handle is solid and heavy, the weight seems to be forward causing the "heavy head" feel due to the short handle grip area.
    BTW, that's interesting about the new (2013) R41. Is there a noticable difference in the blade exposure between the 2011 and the 2013? Does the new geometry change the head angle relative to the (2011) R41? (Which for me was almost a perpendicular rake head angle for the 2011.)

17. Stroker

SOTD Thursday 4-18, 2013

Gillette Fat Handled Tech w/Feather
    Proraso PSC
    Al's SC - Boheme
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Semogue 1460 Boar
    Thayer's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve ASL

A 30's Tech with a Feather is a smooth operator! The Al's Boheme SC and the Pinaud SR really go great together! Excellent shave this morning.

Shave Photo 192SM.jpg

oscar11, Gairdner, crackstar and 8 others like this.
  18. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Thursday:

Cetaphil Face Bar
    Shave Secret Oil
    Williams Mug Soap
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    Afta Fresh
    Old Spice
    Omega Boar
    Shumate 5/8
    :happy036:

oscar11, Gairdner, crackstar and 8 others like this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Interesting. I didn't think there would be different Fatip heads. I think I will have to pick up a Piccolo to compliment my Grande.

There is definitely a difference in blade exposure between the 2011 and 2013. I was surprised to see how little blade poked out from under the cap. IIRC, the width of the top cap was increased from 18mm to 22mm. There is more curvature on the blade which requires a different angle. It's not nearly as perpendicular as the '11 version and has less aural feedback as well. I only have one shave with the new version, but it seems to be slightly tamed from the last version which was too much for me to handle on a daily basis. In my opinion, it will be just as effective, but easier to use. These are only my initial impressions as the razor was delivered last night after work.

20. Stroker

That's good news about the new version of the R41. The 2011 version was way too aggressive for most folks so, the newer version will be easier to use on a regular basis and have a larger following. I agree; I can't use the (2011) R41 on a multi-day basis either. I use it every now and only when I want a very very close shave but, when I do use it, I have to use extreme caution. (Not a comfortable feeling!)

BTW, the FaTip Grande head and the FaTip Piccolo head are definately different not only in blade exposure but the threads to the handle are different as well. I haven't found a larger (Bulldog type) handle to use with the Piccolo due to the thread differences. (The Grande and the Piccolo handles cannot be switch between the two because of this thread difference.) If I knew what handle would accept the threads of the Piccolo top plate, I would switch to a larger handle on the Piccolo for a more secure handle gripping area. This may tame the Piccolo's aggressiveness a little bit. (?)

crackstar, macaronus and PanChango like this.