SoS: April 2020

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

April 14th SOTN

A very comfortable and wonderfully scented proraso red shave tonight with my Rocket finished off with Thayer's and Barbasol Brisk. The Guinness wasn't too bad either. Happy shaves all.

Josh [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April

April 14
    Razor - Soviet Consul
    Blade - [​IMG]
    Soap - Russian Shave Cream - "Apple Blossom"
    Brush - Stirling Two Band Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Let's have some fun, shall we? Last night I gave the Russian Shave Cream from @Keithmax a quick run. Wasn't bad but wasn't spectacular. However, a quick run really isn't fair. I can do better than that. I've seen me do it. So, day two with the gear is going to be a full run down of this cream. I have had little luck in getting my usual translators to work on the tube, so I went old school and contacted some Russian blade contacts. One pointed me to the following description of the cream.

Shaving cream "Apple blossom", 40 grams
    The cream provides a gentle and thorough shaving while also caring for the skin.
    Contains extract of St. John's wort, natural glycerin.
    The cream creates an abundant, firm and fragrant foam, provides a gentle and effective shave.
    The cream has a soothing and anti-inflammatory effect on the skin, relieves irritation.
    Recommended for sensitive skin.
    Perfume composition of a fantasy direction with a pronounced flavor of an apple.

Well, that helps a bit. Good description in bad English but it adds some knowledge. However, the name still won't pull up in a translator for me so I got sneaky and typed "Apple blossom" into Google translate to Russian and.....that's the name.

[​IMG]
    The three green words under the main lettering translate as "cream for shaving". That much I knew as every tube of Russian shave cream I've seen has those and my translator tools will convert that. So....Apple Blossom Shaving Cream. From the Motherland. I'm sure someone will ask, does the scent really smell like apple blossoms? Since I've never been around apple blossoms I have no idea. I tried to figure out the scent and even had my wife take a shot at it. I decided it was definitely a floral type scent. She thought a bit baby powderish - but.....she wasn't really trying. (Don't tell her I said that). A floral type scent and it's called Apple Blossom with pictures of blossoms. Works for me.

So, let's give it a full test. I stayed with the Stirling synthetic brush so I'd have better control over the water etc. Here is the amount I put in the bowl to work with, along with the brush after trying to work it into a lather.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The cream is about almond sized if it wasn't spiraled, and you can see that I got a really decent load in the brush. The cream was starting to lather up a bit in the bowl too. For size reference, that's a VDH bowl which I know many of you have. Well, with that kind of a decent load let's finish it up with a face lather.

[​IMG]
    Not bad at all. It's not really peaky here but it does provide that "snowman" effect that I like to go for. Very good coverage, plenty of cushion and it's persistent. Didn't dissipate any while I tried to take that pic and until I started the shave. So, let's start the shave. The gear again is the Soviet Consul on 9. Much more aggressive than the Slim it is based on. It's a Voskhod blade so the full Russian shave is in effect. I did three passes, with a fresh lather each pass. Here's what I will say about this cream. Not only does the lather provide a great slick surface and a cushion, it also gets better with each pass. I always wet my face for each pass and each time the lather was thicker and added peaks. Clearly some extra water didn't hurt it. In fact, it definitely improved it for each pass. I'm thinking that adding some extra water in the first lather attempt in the bowl would probably pop up a nice bowl full of lather. Something to try at some point. Honestly, I was quite surprised at how well it performed and how much I enjoyed using it. I'm a soap guy through and through, so not that experienced with creams, but this one could easily stay in my den to compete with the soaps.

One final item to share. After three passes, how much was left in the brush? Well, here you go. I squeezed the brush and scraped it into the bowl from my hand.

[​IMG]
    I would say I could have turned that into at least two more passes if not three. That's a lot of lather from such a small amount of cream. I'm a happy camper and quite impressed. The finish on the shave - three passes with no blood, quiet alum and BBS. Yep. A winner for sure. Hope you had a good day and here comes Wednesday!! Make it a great one!

[​IMG]

3. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Tueday shave.

Unseasonably cold here in Dallas, so - my least go at 63 till next fall...

PdP 63 soap, cream, ASB, EDT, oil, lotion
    Att S1 c Personna Red ⚁
    Paladin 28mm Lotus

See you all on hump day

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

4. brit

brit in a box

awesome set ups ,shaves and pics gentlemen..

TommyCarioca, Ron R, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  5. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Wednesday Barbershop Shave;
    • Blackland Blackbird SS (OC and SB)
    • Personna Lab Blue (4)
    • Zenith Manchurian
    • Stirling Soaps Barbershop Shaving Soap
    • VDH Bowl
    • Fine Lather Bowl
    • Nivea Deep AS
    • Barbasol ASB/Lotion
    • Homemade Hair Tonic
    • DSC Deo
    • Clubman Original Body Powder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Thank you.

brit likes this.
  7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Stephan Bay Rum is some amazing sauce.

ilts and BigD like this.
  8. Tim Spencer

I'm thinking later this year when it gets cold again I will get this PdP #63 set.

TommyCarioca and brit like this.
  9. Tim Spencer

WEDNESDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Man in Black perfumed by:
    Alberto Morillas
    [​IMG]

Sangre de Drago Perfumed by:
    Douglas Smythe
    [​IMG]

Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable) (Fully Screwed Down/Lowest Aggression Setting)
    Blade - [​IMG] *4th shave
    Brush - Satin Tip "The Purest"
    Razor/Brush Stand by Royal Shave
    Lather Bowl by Royal Shave
    Soap - Cyril R. Salter "Sandalwood" cream style
    Aftershave/Cologne - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Sangre de Drago
    Deodorant - Sam's Natural "Tobacco"
    Fragrance - Bvlgari Man in Black

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. Tim Spencer

And....Happy Birthday BigD! I had a birthday 3 days ago myself. :D

TommyCarioca, brit and BigD like this.
  11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks, Gary

brit likes this.
  12. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Cool..Thanks Gary :)

brit likes this.
  13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Well, Happy Birthday, belated of course. I wonder what happened 9 months ago? I mean there are a lot of Birthdays in September. We all know what happened 9 months before then. New Years and too much drinking. September babies would like to believe their parents loved each other deeply, but it was just booze.

14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date:- 15 April 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
    Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Ravish
    Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Wizamet Super Iridium #11
    Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

15. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Yes Its !

brit likes this.
  16. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 04/15/20

Ever-Ready 1912
    Gem Personna (3)
    Erskine 3103
    Williams
    Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF4594.JPG

17. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Hello,
    SOTD 15 april
    CG lvl 3
    Stirling pearberry
    Mühle silvertip
    IMG_20200415_113722_661.jpg

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

April 15th
    Razor: H&S NO75 LE
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Brush: Maseto 30mm Finest
    Pre-shave: PAA The Cube
    Soap: CF Pine Tar
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    PAA unscented Star Jelly
    AS: CF Natural

Good morning!

[​IMG]

19. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

2020-04-15, Wednesday

Although living in the country has in my eyes, a number of positive aspects, like any coin has two sides!
    Can you believe it's all locked up in here? Bars, pools... But where's the entrepreneurial attitude?
    How can we hope to raise Italian economy if we do not get busy?

So I can't go to get a tan and the summer will find me white as a mozzarella cheese, acquiring, this way, an incredible amount of Aryan Fidelity Points in the eyes of the racist, but in my leopard thong I will look awful!
    I think I'm gonna go for the nude look...

Whitish and bored. By all the talk that any media is bewitching us with monotonous repetition.

I've never understood the point of talking about things you can't, reasonably, influence. I understand the emotional outburst, but not the obsessive iteration of concepts, statements, analysis... which, on top of everything else, I'm convinced are properly manipulated and therefore... sterile to evaluate.

The news they pour on us, might induce those with religious beliefs suspect the world is coming to an end, but who said it had to be a reverse Big Bang? It can be something much more subdued.
    Is it possible Thomas Eliot was right?

This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper

And in a lot of talk, I'd add...

I, loving loneliness, have always had the habit of talking to myself, so I do chat too: with myself... Which is criticized by most people who however don't look at it in the right way!
    First, I'm on such good terms with myself that I speak to myself and reply.
    Second, even if there's an argument, no matter how it would go... I'd be right!
    And that's not a little thing.

So I feel satisfied, a feeling increased by the pleasant shave: Valobra soap, C&S fragrances, Petrucciani music. What can I desire more?
    Cloudy weather, but... you can't have it all!

[​IMG]

Sapone PS: Valobra Glicerolanolina
    Sapone: Czech & Speake, Oxford & Cambridge
    Pennello: Zenith, Silvertip, 26 mm
    Rasoio: Maggard, MR 8
    Lametta: Gillette, 7 O’Clock, Permasharp Stainless
    AS 1: MilMil, Biensur
    AS 2: Ai Monasteri, Balsamo
    EdT: Czech & Speake, Oxford & Cambridge
    ST: Michel Petrucciani, Dreyfuss, da The king is gone

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod200415.JPG
    Williams Wednesday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Williams Mug Soap
    Jayaruh #397
    RazoRock Black Hawk
    Feather Professional
    CWR
    PSC Caffeinated After Shave Balm

The Williams Mug Soap face-lathered well with Jayaruh #397 brush. Two passes and touch ups with the RazoRock Black Hawk with a Feather Professional blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with PSC Caffeinated After Shave Balm. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.