SoS: August 11, 2014 - August 17, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 10, 2014.

1. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Gillette Toggle (S5)
    Blade: SuperMax SP Tiger (D9)
    Brush: FS Faux Horn 24mm Pur-Tech
    Bowl: Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle
    Pre Shave Soap: MRGLO Lime
    Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Cedar-Lavender
    Shave Soap: Tiki Soap Fougère
    Aftershave: Tiki AS Lotion

Forgot to charge the camera battery so no picture today. Have a great one gents!

2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

iKon Slant Shave Three
    This was the best shave so far with the iKon slant. I got a smooth comfortable shave by slowing down and really focusing on no pressure. My HIS is a truly amazing brush - it makes better lather faster than any other I've used, including the Plisson Synthetic. Today was no exception, as the Chocolate Bourbon soap became optimal lather almost instantly.
    Having said that, I do have a tender area on my left jawline... A place that is usually problem free. This makes me think that the slant needs a very different angle on this area than my other razors.

Prep: warm shower (water heater survived the flood!)
    Soap: Synergy Chocolate Bourbon
    Brush: HIS Lather Monster
    Razor: iKon Slant
    Blade: Personna lab blue (3)
    AS: Synergy Bay Rum Tonic
    [​IMG]

3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Thor's Day:

Prep: Hot Shower, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub
    Brush: Simpson 56 Best Badger
    Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood Shave Stick
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Big Ben SS (4)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (8, 9)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails AS splash
    Cologne: Gigember Estragone by Dr. Vranjes

Apparently, if I 1. skip the preshave balm, then 2. load the brush with the shave stick as if I were using a puck, and then 3. rub the shave stick across my face as you'd expect from any video tutorial, THEN I can get enough decent (not good, decent) lather for a two-pass shave. So, it's got that going for it. I skipped my shave yesterday, so there was plenty of stubble for the Big Ben to tackle, and between its age and the lather, it was a bit of a challenge, but I managed a DFS without any injuries or irritation, other than a bit more than the typical amount of burn from the Cat o' Nine Tails.

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Revisor Mungstener Brucke 8/8
    Oscar11 synthetic brush
    LASS Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint soap
    Tuscany AS

IMG_3239.JPG

5. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thursday

Prep: CeraVe facial cleanser
    Soap: HTGAM "Non Scents"
    Brush: HIS synthetic
    Razor: Feather ASD2
    Blade: Feather
    After: Cold rinse, CeraVe lotion

First time with my new Feather razor. Feels lovely in the hand, nice to look at. The shave was smooth, easy, and comfortable. I'll use it with Feather blades the first few times and then try some others.
    [​IMG]

6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Thursday 08/14/14

Prep: Gaia face scrub
    Oil: Shave Secret
    Brush: 20mm Whipped dog set deep
    Scuttle: Georgetown Pottery
    Razor: GEM SE
    Blade: Gem Blue Star
    soap: french soap mix
    Witch Hazel: Generic unscented

Today I used my new GEM instead of my EverReady 1912. These are virtually identical razors, the handle's decorative pattern being the only noticeable difference, and they both give great shaves. I took 3 passes and received a 95% BBS.

Very nice blade.

Why is it that men are so attracted to shiny sharp objects? :signs002: I think there is something beyond "simple toys for simple minds" here.

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Planned shave:
    [​IMG]

Executes shave:
    [​IMG]

First time using/trying I use the famous Mitchells wool fat. Lathered up twice, but I wasn't confident I would get a good shave. No slickness and tugging from the blade.

Switched the blade and the soap. In my last shave I used Razorock and it was awesome. Today not so much, that's why I think the fault was within me. The new Astra blade was tugging too, so I'm a little confused haha =) maybe it was the prep. But I did shower as usual though

I shaves, but it was certainly not a close nor a comfortable shave. No worries, next shave will be better =)

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

It takes practice. BTW - Try adding a little water on top of the mitchell's tonight - a TBS or so should be enough. It will soften the soap for tomorrow's shave.

9. Omelmad

I know, it was a bit disappointing though. I did that yesterday per Kerry's advice. Thanks for the tip though =) I was VERY excited to use MWF for the first time, that's why I was so disappointed. But it was kind of expecting that outcome

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You wouldn't be the first wet-shaver who was disappointed in the first number of uses with the MWF. The puck can be challenging to yield good lather, particularly, it seems, due to the hardness of the water being used. Keep at it—eventually you'l find the right mix of water to soap ratio & you'll be rewarded with some great lather. MWF is worth the early hassle, IMHO.
    [​IMG]

11. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

You know what they say Guy; when you get old your memory goes and your battery runs down. :D

12. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I resemble that remark

13. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Thursday 8-14-2014

5/8 Mayflower Works, Full Hollow, Spike Point
    Proraso PSC
    PC Homme L' Occitane SS (Thanks Guy)
    Georgetown Scuttle
    Semogue 820 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Gold Bond Moisturizing Lotion
    Brut Classic ASL

Great shave this morning as I am getting over this head cold that has bugged me the last few days. The PC SS is a great performer. Great cushion and glide with this SS. Looking forward to a normal day for a change. :cool:

Shave Photo 1009SM.jpg

14. Omelmad

The water here in Sweden is as soft as it
    Can be. We drink it ;)

I will not give in. I knew there might be a potential learning curve with is soap, but it's gonna be well worth it I know =)

Thanks to Kerry I have the chance to shave with an awesome soap. One thing that I got confirmed though is that I'm not allergic to lanolin WUHOOO hahaha

PatrickA51, Ryan B, crackstar and 5 others like this.
  15. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Razor: ER 1924
    Blade: GEM
    Brush: Muhle Black Fiber
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat

One pass DFS. Opened up another bar of Stirling bath soap. It smelled weird because of the mutton tallow at first but I really like it now.
    [​IMG]

16. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Thursday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Cella Extra Extra Purissima & suribachi
    Brush - Omega 40033
    Razors - Gillette Single Ring & Champlin 6/8
    Blade - Feather (16)

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

:eatdrink013:

17. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

DSC03052 (800x600) (800x600) (800x600) (2).jpg
    Rooney 3/1 Ebony/Pure
    vintage Culmak soap
    F1 Fat Boy
    NOS vintage Schick Krona-Chrome (2)
    Three smooth passes
    Alt Innsbruck

18. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SOTD - Thursday, August 14, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Lime & Tea Tree PSO
    Brush: WD 24/47 silvertip
    Cream: TOBS Eton College
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
    Aftershave: Floid Mentholado Vigoroso

My first use of the Spanish Floid. This stuff is top notch. Refreshing menthol chill with a barbershop type scent that leaves a great face feel upon dry down. The pleasant, understated scent lingers for a few hours after application. It will likely find a front row seat in my den.

- Don

19. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I picked this while hunting today, cleaned it up, and took it for a spin.

Set on 7, a DFS. Not bad for a virgin run.

[​IMG]

20. Omelmad

Awesome, a fatboy Is my biggest "want" I'm this wetshaving obsessi.. I mean hobby =)