SoS: August 17, 2015 - August 23, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 16, 2015.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

How do you like the Draggon Noir? Sounds like it would be good stuff but it isn't talked about a whole lot.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    SOTD: Sunday, August 23
    MdC
    CH3
    R41
    Polsilver SI (1)
    Floïd Vigoroso
    [​IMG]

Have a great day!

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Happy Birthday! :party:

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

08/23/2015
    Razor – Gillette New LC with Triad Helix SS
    Blade – Feather (2)
    Brush – Rubberset 400 with Omega Boar
    Lather – Mystic Water Lavender
    Post - Witch Hazel & Myrsol F/Extra

[​IMG]

A great 3 pass near BBS shave this morning. I didn't try to chase the baby but just enjoyed the shave. Once dialed in Mystic Water is a truly great shave soap. Finished off with a splash of Myrsol F/Extra and I am ready for a relaxing day.

5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg Razor: Gillette 195 Fat Boy (f1) 1960 (5) (3)
    Brush: Vintage Ever-Ready 675 badger
    Mug: Old Spice 1985 Cobalt Blue
    Cream: Cella classica 1899
    Blade: Feather (2)
    Post shave: Thayers Cucumber WH, Jack Black balm, Old Spice Lime original Shulton AS Frosted Glass 1960s
    Whipped up some nice warm Cella after loading up my mug with a thumb nail portion. Love the almond scent. The heavy handle and head of my FB helped with the Feather blade, made quick work in 2 passes. A little touchup on my neck ATG on 3 and done. The WH felt good, nice and cool. After cleanup some JB and when it dries some Vintage Old Spice Lime AS. Just a peaceful easy feeling.....

spacehobo, Spud, Jayaruh and 17 others like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

SUNDAY
    Early morning shave with the vintage Cadillac; smooth-runing as usual.
    I'll be heading out of town today and returning mid-week, so no SOTD for a few days.
    Have a wonderful Sunday, all!
    [​IMG]

spacehobo, Spud, Jayaruh and 17 others like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

it's a clean soapy smell. sorta loud, but very clean. I like it.

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Happy 53rd birthday!

clint64, RaZorBurn123 and ram57 like this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Congratulations on 3 years:eatdrink047: and Happy Birthday

10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Happy Birthday Kerry!!:greet002::git::eatdrink047:

clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I've been hanging out in the 30 day thread but wanted to share this one with you guys.

Today I slipped a Feather blade into my recently acquired Gillette Double Ring and immediately noticed that blade alignment has to be carefully watched. Since this isn't an old three hole blade, there is play. I got the blade aligned, lathered up with one of my favorite creams and went to town. I let the weight of the razor do the work and had a BBS shave on my face in two passes. Here is where I made a mistake. I chased the baby on my neck and got a few weepers and some irritation. I should have known better than to try that with an aggressive razor and a new Feather. I still enjoyed shaving with a 104 year-old razor and will use this setup for a couple more days.
    SOTD
    Gillette Double Ring
    Feather (1)
    Omega Boar
    TOBS Grapefruit cream
    Nancy Boy AS Balm
    Florida Water AS

Have a great Sunday!
    [​IMG]

spacehobo, ObiDon, Jayaruh and 18 others like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Happy birthday!

ram57, clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

August 23 SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    Stirling Synthetic Brush
    St. James Black Pepper & Lime SC
    Gillette Ball End Tech
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso AS

spacehobo, ObiDon, Jayaruh and 17 others like this.
  15. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

R2 Hempel / GSB

Romera

SH Drogon Noir

TOBS Jermyn St

[​IMG]

spacehobo, ObiDon, Jayaruh and 17 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

August Focus - Slim and Feather AC - It's Soviet Razor Day!!!
    August 23
    Razor - Mladost II, age unknown (ca. 1960-80), origin unknown (possibly made in what is now Yugoslavia or Bulgaria)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1) Come now, did you really think I'd risk my face to an unknown Soviet razor without this blade in it?
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Arko
    Post - Cold water, Alum, Nivea Original Post Shave

I've declared this a holiday from the Focus to have Soviet Razor Day!! Time to see what the Mladost II is capable of. Still can't find anything specific on it other than a range of possible dates and a couple of possible locations for manufacture. This is not a Russian razor in the sense some are, but is rather a Soviet razor, made within the former USSR during that era. And, the construction definitely screams Soviet made!!! I always check out blade gaps, blade alignment etc. when using one of these razors for the first time. Some are so far off that it makes you reconsider using them, though it has never deterred me. This is one such razor. A couple of bad pictures to demonstrate.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    On the left you can make out the lather scuttles on the bottom. Notice on top - no scuttles in view. the blade is not quite centered and this was after spending quite a bit of time trying to center it. An open view shows the same problem. Scuttle on the bottom, none on top. Nothing changes this position of the blade. I tried to get a picture of the blade angle but it's so close to the blade guards it's like there is no gap at all. Very mild configuration with an uneven head. Great. This is going to be a glorious Soviet shave. Cold water and caviar anyone?

Gave up trying to center the blade. You can't do it. I'm beginning to think this razor is not adjustable, just built to look like one. I can figure out no way to make it change blade gap. And I certainly can't fix the slight misalignment.

Well, nothing to do but lather up, right? I used the Pro 48 and Arko combo for this event as I wanted to be sure of a consistent and thick lather. After using the smaller boar and horse as my daily brushes the 48 feels like a real giant. But man can it work up a lather.

First pass here we go. Two days growth for the razor and the first pass down the right side wasn't bad but did feel a bit tuggy. I was using the side with the blade overlapping the scuttles. The reduction on the pass was a bit light. Turned it around and did the pass on the left side where the scuttles were exposed. Ok, now that was a bit smoother it seemed. Yeah, clearly an issue with blade position. As I finished the first pass I also noticed that the pulling was considerably worse on the overlap side. With the mild gap and the overlap across the scuttles I suspect I was getting the whiskers caught between the blade and guard and that's a bit uncomfortable. Went XTG and found this to be consistent. I could tell which side I was using by the pulling. Managed to get near a DFS after the XTG on my face, almost a CCS on the neck. One more pass, ATG face and went XTG on the neck then went for the M-Slide to try and finish it off. Never try an M-Slide with the wrong side of the razor. It's basically just an exercise in pulling and tugging in ways that make you cuss. I was finally able to get a passable DFS with no cuts/nicks or weepers. Pretty amazing to accomplish that with a Soviet.

Now, with that much pulling and roughness and overall beating up my face how about the irritation you say? Rinsed with cold, picked up the Alum, got ready to suffer and.......well, that's shocking. Really no sting at all. Makes no sense, really, except for the fact I feel I accomplished the result more by just wearing down the beard rather than cutting it. As mild as the blade gap is it wanted to grab and tub more than cut. Yes it did remove the beard eventually but I don't think the edge of the blade ever really got solidly on my face to threaten the skin. It's about the only thing I can think of.

So, what do I think of the Mladost II? It's a great bit of past Soviet manufacturing, certainly worthy of their usual quality control standards. I am a bit surprised it didn't produce any blood but as mild as it is it might be impossible to cut yourself with it. Another tribute to the fine engineers of the former USSR! Probably the same guys who worked on their newest tank!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday and wet-shaving anniversary, Kerry.

clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Its that time again. We start a new SOTD thread HERE tomorrow, I'll close this thread later tonight or early tomorrow morning for a short time.
    Happy shaving!
    Kerry

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Fat Boy (1961)(8)
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (7)
    Brush: Fendrihen Silver Tip Badger Black Faux Ebony Handle 22/49
    Soap: The Shave Den Coconut
    A/S: The Shave Den Coconut

Shave Den Sunday for me. Enjoyed both the soap and A/S. Moved the FB to #8 today, and as I was the 7th day with this blade it might not have been the best of ideas. Made it through the shave and it turned out pretty well.
    8 23 15.jpg

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I like the O-ring on the FB. Make for a nice touch when tightening down the blade. :happy088::happy088:

ram57 and clint64 like this.