SOS: August 2018

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Doug. It was only made for a few years at the beginning of the Super Adjustable Run. Same head as the long-handled SA.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

RR Gamechanger & Kai SS #1
    Deluxe Shaving 30mm Silvertip
    Deluxe Shaving Doo-Wop shave soap (Barbershop scent)
    Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
    Nivea Sensitive Cooling A/S lotion
    Contradiction by Calvin Klein edt
    8E68053F-27D0-4F91-B08E-4BD3DF80BBC4.jpeg
    Not much to shave from yesterday’s shave with the RX. But, there was a semblance of stubble and the Misses wanted dinner out. So, the Gamechanger did just fine with an ATG pass and some chin buffing. Good as new. Another thing, the edt from CK Contradiction is a surprisingly good scent with a bit of greenness along just a hint of fresh/citrusy light spicey vibe. Perfect for a nice warm summer night. Hangs around for a while as well. Have a great evening and great shaves Gents... :happy088:

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful brush Amigo. :eatdrink047:

clint64 and Boojum1 like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks:

Boru62, clint64 and jtspartan like this.
  5. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Vintage Puma # 75
    Desmond's Barrow Lavender
    Dubl Duck Reknoted 28mm
    Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender A/S

IMG_2538.JPG

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Doug! highfive.gif

7. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

August 1st - Travel Night Shave...
    I am at my parents cottage by the ocean, and used some shave cream I bought at Dollar Tree a few years back, I also used the 1 dollAR ASSURED DE RAZOR AGAIN, same blade on 2nd shave.. not bad, typical chinese blade, like the ming shi and other China blades thay come with clone razors and this is a super speed clone. Polished off a P&G Old Spice bottle that was kicling around the cottage for years, before I started this Craze my after shave was either old spice, clubman, or aqua velva.... used schick eXtreme, barbosol red or gillette red.... so still some left, also Gillette fusion is my dad's balm that he forgot about, great balm that is discontinued now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I’m going with Arko August.
    Malluk & Co. “America my home” razor
    Arko soap
    Boar brush
    Old spice aftershave [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) Anything Goes and whatever else we decide AUGUST!!!!

August 2

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Trial day two for the P74 blade. Slim up to 6, switch from JR54 to JR46 just because. The Gillette Adjustable on 6 is something of a sweet spot setting for me so I'm always happy to get here. Of course, going wide open still gives the best result in most cases, but this medium setting can work well with many blades. The Personna 74 is no different. Again a very smooth shave with a bit more blade feel. The surprise is that there wasn't more. Dare we say the Tungsten makes that much of a difference? Perhaps. Whatever the case, it was a smooth three pass shave to a very near-BBS. After a bit it's actually feeling like the baby made it. Very nice result and the blade has impressed. It's pretty clear why it was so popular back in the day.

Head shave earlier today with the Merkur 23c, VDH Deluxe soap, VDH Boar brush and the Astra SP. I decided to use the VDH soap in place of Arko for that one rather than do an all Arko day. Great result, no problems. Friday is closing in on us and I hope you have great plans for the weekend. I start my week tomorrow so no great and wondrous plans for me - other than hanging out with you guys. That's pretty great and wondrous.

[​IMG]

10. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Razor: Merkur 42c
    Blade: Persona blue med
    Soap: Sudsy soapery peppermint & Lavender
    Aftershave: Skin Bracer by Mennen.
    Lotion: Gillette aftershave gel
    Cologne: Ceasars man

This combo made for a great shave this morning.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Roby!

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Wonderful picture, Mark!

Douglas Carey, clint64 and Boojum1 like this.
  13. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

08-02-2018
    Travel night shave
    PAA prismatic
    CK Atmotic, travel.size
    fine stubby
    [​IMG]

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Jim! highfive.gif

15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Jaime, beautiful buddy! :happy088:

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  16. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

08/03/18 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Detroit Grooming Ludington Glycerin Sandalwood Bar Soap
    Crown King Alt-Eleven Shampoo & Conditioner Bar- w/ Prickly Pear, Neem Honey & Yucca Root
    Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Shave Soap
    RazoRock Rosso Corsa F-400 XXL 34MM Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Gillette SS Gen 3 1948-50 Razor
    Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 4th Shave
    RazoRock Alum Block
    Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Classic Sandalwood Aftershave Cologne with Alum
    Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Shave Balm
    The Sudsy Soapery 100% Natural Rain Deodorant

D IMG_0493.jpg

17. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Talbot Shaving & Catie's Bubbles | Valley of Fire
    DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
    Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
    Jimmy Choo | Man

[​IMG]

When I was extended the opportunity to sign-up for the latest Talbot Shaving, Catie's Bubbles, and Ruds Shaves collaboration pre-order, I went all in. Given my knowledge of modern mainstream fragrances is essentially nonexistent, the fact that the scent profile was based on Jimmy Choo Man EdT meant nothing to me. However, the EdT is widely available and reasonably priced for a blind buy, so I took a chance and picked up a 100 mL bottle. I'd been wearing it periodically while I awaited the arrival of the "Valley of Fire" set.

The set was made to commemorate Ruds' 10th wedding anniversary. The Valley of Fire state park being the site of their wedding, and Jimmy Choo Man being a fragrance for which he and his wife share a mutual affinity. The documented notes are: lavender, honeydew melon, pink pepper, pineapple leaf, suede, and patchouli.

Given my occupation involves interaction and often close contact with the public, I typically limit my fragrance application to a single spray, reserving more liberal applications to less professional settings or social outings. (Who am I kidding? My social outings are limited to going to the movies with my wife and our close friend. If church counts as a social outing, my fragrance application is inconsequential given the dulled olfactories the ancient parishioners.) That said, I quickly realized that given the rather top note-heavy Jimmy Choo Man, at least two sprays are essential if I want to enjoy it in any case. It opens with a bright but soft and sweet melon nestled among fibrous greenery. These top notes last longer than expected, and after a couple hours the accord gains some momentum acquiring a rounded sweet creaminess and finally an understated herbaceous lavender which, in my subjective perspective, is the only element that tips the scales to the masculine side of the meter. Projection is weak to fair, and sillage is fair. Longevity is about 5 hours according to my wife, but my nose loses it after about 3 hours. Remember, this is an eau de toilette. The characteristics impart a light, fun, youthful vibe without being brash or immature.

After having time to develop a sense of the intended fragrance, my soap and splash arrived yesterday. Upon lathering Valley of Fire, the melon notes pop rather convincingly, but they are accompanied by a surprising pineapple-ish note. Jimmy Choo Man has pineapple leaf listed as a note, but the leaf doesn't smell like the fruit, so my nose probably combined the fibrous leaf with the woody lavender in the EdT. I don't detect a pineapple fruit in the EdT, but I do detect something closely related to pineapple fruit in the Valley of Fire soap and splash. This is not a criticism, however. It's a creative turn that set my nose for an Aventus follow-through, but instead it stuck to the script for the Jimmy Choo Man EdT henceforth, taking on the creamy suede, sweet patchouli, and woody lavender. Despite the relative light nature of the target fragrance, the scent strength of the soap was boosted quite a bit, such that I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout the shave. The splash unfolded in a similar fashion with the exception of the suede being the longest hold-out and longevity being three hours, tops.

Talbot Shaving's soap performance is beyond reproach. This base lathers like a dream as long as you are liberal with the water from the very beginning. Primary and residual slickness are matched by very few in the top-level artisan realm, and post-shave is flawless making any post-shave product completely unnecessary. However, the refreshing topper from Catie's Bubbles splash is not to be missed particularly in this full-tilt set-up.

18. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Hey Jamie, you have to try freezing the travel scuttle - if you haven't already. It really provides a nice cooling effect!
    Steve

Douglas Carey, Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  19. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razor: ATT S2
    Blade: Gillette Nacet
    Brush: “Punchy” Skull shift knob w/transplanted Plisson knot
    Soap: CRSW Madmans’ Bouquet
    A/S: Shulton Old Spice
    5A254C2C-E9BB-4E24-A938-9F200E849040.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member