SOS: August 2020.

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by SpeedyPC, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

I haven't read any reviews, but I expect it will fare poorly among the critics. There will inevitably be an expectation of this being a "super hero" film, but it's not. It's more of a coming-of-age thriller. They tried for horror, but missed. They came very close to capturing the eerie, psychedelic vibe of the Claremont and Sienkiewicz "Demon Bear Saga" from New Mutants, volume 1 starting with #18. If you're familiar with the comics at all, you'll recognize that this issue is where the title took a sharp dive into dark, brooding adult themes. It literally went from a kids book to PG-13 with that issue. But as for the film, all in all, I enjoyed it. However, my standard for Fox X-Men movies is much lower than that of MCU. Having been an X-Men and New Mutants fan from the 80s, I never expected this film to be comic accurate. The fact that Magik is in the cast blows that out of the water, but I'm okay with it. I have a few nitpicks: The narrative is that Illyana "created" Limbo as a place to escape. Given that the film was trying to impart that all of these mutants are early on in the understanding of their powers, I can buy the fact that she assumed she created Limbo. If they ever continued the story, they could easily explain that it's just a preexisting realm that she simply accesses with her powers (as per canon). They could even back story Belasco without contradicting this film. It's academic anyway. We won't see any continuation of New Mutants in this storyline given this was the last Fox-produced X-film. Moving forward, I would love to see them keep Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik in the MCU. She's perfect for the part in both acting skills and physical appearance, which is pretty, exotic, yet creepy and weird. Adult Illyana is all those things. Honestly all the actors were well cast, I thought. The only one that I was really iffy on was Heaton. Even before I saw the film, I expected he was just plugged in to capture some Stranger Things fans. In the trailers, he wasn't selling it for me as the goofy, corn-fed, Kentucky farm boy, but in the context of the film he fared well. Williams as Rahne is perfect with her odd, pixie-ish features and her Scottish accent/dialect was spot-on. The only real disappointment I have from this film is the succumbing to social justice. I have no problem with LGBTQ being represented in films where it fits the narrative, but in this case, it was forced and not even close to canon. Rahne and Dani always had a close, intimate, sister-like relationship that was due in large part to their empathic/telepathic connection given their compatible mutations. Their relationship was never romantic. This doesn't surprise me, though. I'm still an avid comic reader and these themes have crept into them as well. Again, I don't take issue with sexual freedoms and diversity being included in the medium. I just don't like it when they change something innate to a character to placate the SJWs. It's easy enough to create new characters with their own unique aspects.

2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

30 August 2020

* Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC + Stork Ex Brass
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Shavemac Americana XL Unique 2-Band
    * Mystic Water Bay Rum
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

3. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

SOTD : 30th August 2020.

14.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower / Nivea Men ~ DEEP CLEAN Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears ~ Transparent Soap Bar / Nuage Menthol Shaving Oil.
    Brush: Chinese Unbranded Silvertip Fibre.
    Bowl Lather.
    Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
    Frankenlather : Palmolive Classic & Ingram Menthol Lather Shave Cream.
    Blade: Treet Dura Sharp. (2)
    Franken-razor: Yaqi DOC Head / Schmidt R10 Handle.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade lavender eucalyptus, +Tea Tree essential Oils Witch Hazel Mixture./ Brut ~ Splash-On Lotion.
    Wilko ~ Men's Moisturiser.

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

The yaqi 'DOC' head on first appearance looks extremely aggressive, but looks are very deceiving sometimes it's a wonderfully smooth non-aggressive head, however like any razor either aggressive or non-aggressive, if not treated with respect it'll bite you.
    Out of all the Franken-razors that i have mixed & matched this one is my favourite. The weight of the Schmidt handle gives it a good heft this could easily be my daily shave razor as it's non-aggressive, but at the same time gives a comfortable DFS/near BBS, and seems to pair together with every blade choice that i have matched it up with so far. What more could i ask for.
    Another very comfortable 3 pass + pick ups near BBS shave with no errors to report.
    Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Wilko ~ Men's Moisturiser.

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy you Sunday ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

4. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Wow, great write up Matt. Always good reading my friend. I could not agree more with changing characters for social statements, just make new ones, but that is the world we live in. In the end, if the movie is entertaining and lets me escape, I can live with it. I don’t know the canon, so I won’t know better. I always liked super hero movies and TV, but haven’t read most of the comics, except for the Dark Knight when the Tim Burton Batman came out, Heavy Metal, and the various Kiss comics. I liked them, but never went out to collect and read. I’ll have to check out the New Mutants. I watch them all.
    Steve

dvdhviid, Edison Carter, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date:- 30 August 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
    Brush:- Maseto Beehive 'Horn' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Weinstrasse
    Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Voskhod #8
    Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
    Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men
    Tonight Tipple:- McGuigan Black Label Red

6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Arko August Part XXX, Going for Gold;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:signs154:

8. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

SOTD 20200830 Cera Una Volta
    by IschiaPP @ Forio
    •••
    Barcelona Shaving Brushes by Dr Dulcamara
    “BSB2” Polished Aluminium
    Finest, 25x50x90mm, 84g
    ---
    Saponificio Varesino 1945 "Felce Aromatica"
    Beta 4.3 Reformulated, Aluminium Limited Edition 2017 / Dopo Barba Lozione
    ---
    FrankenRazor Katana Light
    (Yaqi Single Edge Cobbled Half DE (SCHaDE) / Yaqi RAC 1712 Halo Aluminium)
    ---
    Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless #6
    •••
    #Shave #WetShaving #WetShavers
    #ShaveOfTheDay #ShaveLikeaMan
    #WaxUponATime #CeraUnaVolta
    #ShavingSoap #AUgust #Test
    [​IMG]
    Full size:
    https://imgur.com/HgxGTV8
    Soundtrack:
    The Police - Roxanne

9. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 08/30/20

'62 Gillette Slim (set on 6)
    Astra (14)
    Synthetic
    Manners Texas Cedar S/S
    Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block
    Old Spice A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF4946.JPG

10. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

DSCF0056 - Edited.jpg

Sunday‌ ‌08.30.20 ‌SOTD‌
    Gillette ‘40s Gold Fat Handle Tech Set
    Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
    Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2-Band Badger
    RazoRock "What the Puck?!" Orange Sunrise
    RazoRock XXX After Shaving Splash

DSCF0057 - Edited.jpg

11. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

:eatdrink047:

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  12. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Sunday 30th August
    Alpha Outlaw - OSP No8 Trial Soap - Rocnel SE-P Open Comb - Euromax Platinum #1 - OSP No8 Trial A/S - Aloe Vera Gel
    [​IMG]

13. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

2020-08-30, Sunday

I was woken up by the rain drumming on the roof, after a very cool night: I had to sleep with the window closed!
    But, as the Aral advertisement said in the 70's, the good things in life don't last long: now there is a decidedly summery sun.

But the gray lasted long enough to justify a British citrus and I enjoyed it all!

[​IMG]

Sapone PS: Valobra Glicerolanolina
    Sapone: Floris, No 89
    Pennello: Lab. Villefranche, Senna, Silvertip 24
    Rasoio: Gillette, Slim Aristocrat, 1963
    Lametta: Gillette, 7 O’Clock, Super Stainless
    AS 1: MilMil, Figaro Gel
    AS 2: Lab Series, Razor Burn Relief Ultra
    EdT: Floris, No 89
    ST: Duke Ellington, Jungle Nights in Harlem

14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Sunday:

cool shower with Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange bar soap
    Maggard Sweet Orange PSO
    Personna Floating Head 3 passes
    Schick ? (6)
    Musgo Real Orange Amber cream in a warm bowl
    Dubl Duck boar
    TSD Orange A/S
    Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange solid perfume

Can't remember if this blade is a Chick (Chinese Schick) or a vintage Plus Platinum. I forgot what I loaded and I've got too many assorted brands in the drawer.

Nice shave with the PFH. It's nearly impossible to make a mistake with this razor.

011.JPG

15. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Yates 921 H Hollywood Palms Handle
    Personna (USA) Stainless Blade
    Homelikeshaving Sandalwood Soap
    Shavemac D01 Silvertip
    Nivea Creme
    Clubman Lilac Vegetal

16. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:thanks:

Douglas Carey, clint64 and ischiapp like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's a framable photograph, Sergio. Beautiful.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos200830.JPG
    Lather Catcher Sunday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap
    3D Printed Brush
    1907 Gem Jr. Lather Catcher
    Personna GEM SS PTFE
    CWR
    Pinaud Clubman Vegetal

The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap face-lathered well with Tom's 3D Printed Brush. Two passes and touch ups with the 1907 Gem Jr. Lather Catcher razor with a Personna GEM SS PTFE blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Pinaud Clubman Vegetal. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

19. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

You have been hitting the music of the Police frequently. It's the looters isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  20. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Nice looking razor and great shave buddy! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.