SoS: August 22-28 2011

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by rodd, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

SOTD 82311.jpg

Polo 8 Best
    RazoRock Fresco SS
    Romo
    Tony Miller--Linen / Horsehide
    Humphrey's Witch Hazel
    Jil Sander Sport EDT
    Have a Great Afternoon!

2. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

3. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Monday: Got lazy, no shave

Tuesday:

• Gillette Black Tip
    • Family Dollar
    • Semogue 830
    • Cella
    • Old Spice AS

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tuesday

Bit of a late post - went to Bar Harbor today. Greenville and Moosehead Lake tomorrow!

Prep: Hot shower
    Coffee: Folger's, BLACK
    Soap: TSD Blue Juniper
    Brush: Vulfix 406, The Bulrington
    Razor: Gillette Old Type, circa 1918
    Blade: Astra SP, day 4, 3+ passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, Dickenson's WH, Curve, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: tried some lavendar scented shea butter. meh - not enough hold, but smelled good

Shave Rating: 5 Blades

Great shave.

5. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Hi, Stefan!
    I got my tub from Jeff/crackstar, so maybe mine is Canadian :) For me that Wilki is hand to hand with Williams by quality. Lacking skincare and the lather is not as good as my other soaps. But it is interesting to return to all your stuff for comparison. I cannot say I love Wilki soap so much, it is also uncomfortable with straights for me, that's why I grabed Merkur, instead of a straight. I have aWilkinson stick also, and was told it is much better then the bowl version. But I bring new stuff to my rotation when give up of finish something from current list, that's why my Wilki stick lays in the same 'to try' box, where I keep Tabac stick :). I want to try some new stuff, but first I'll finish some items from my current rotation. As for Wilki soap, I don't think I'll look for more of it, I'd better try Erasmic :)

crackstar likes this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

R41: Day 1 :scared001:

• Muhle R41
    • Voshkod (1)
    • Bullardo handle 24 mm super badger re-knot
    • MWF
    • store brand Skin Bracer
    Wow! How to begin? When you see this razor in your hand with a blade in it, it makes you question whether or not what you are about to attempt has proven that you've taken this whole shaving thing a bit too far. Then you put it to your face, trying to remember the fundamentals because you just know you're gonna need them and BAM! It hits you, the realization that this razor is different. Not bad, but different. It demands a little bit of attention in order to get the correct angle, as others have said, and also like they said, it is a really cool thing once you figure it out. And they were right. If the cap of the razor (or doors) flat against your skin (handle perpendicular to your skin) the regular ~halfway down roll just doesn't do it. I had to roll it down to where the handle was nearly parallel with my face, probably a good 70 degrees. That only took a few seconds and then it was off to the races.

2 passes and BBS. This thing is hands down the most efficient razor I've ever used. It has been over 13 hrs and I'm just starting to get some stubble. It is strange though, the shave is neither comfy or uncomfy, but it just kind of happens and when you are done you definately see a difference in the final product. For me, I can deal with not having the super smooth, quick and effortless shave like with the 89 for instance, if I can be rewarded with a shave like I got this morning.

So, I'm going to give it several more shaves and then send it back home, but man is this thing a winner! My most sincere gratitude to Jeff for letting this thing out of his possession and into mine for a few blades. Thanks mang!

Easily 4.9 blades today. Excellent shave from a scary looking razor. :biggrin:

stingraysrock, Bird Lives and Asd like this.
  7. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pre-shave soap: Musgo Real Glyce Lime
    Razor: Merkur Progress XL
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
    Soap/Cream: RazoRock XXX
    A/S: Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel, 4711 Splash

A very fine shave today. The Colonel whipped up lots of lather from the RazoRock, the Progress/Rapira combination sliced off the whiskers closely, but comfortably, and the Thayer's WH and 4711 Splash provided a refreshing finish.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Rolls Razor - Thanks Greg
    Semogue 2000
    Arko Shave Stick
    Alum
    4711 After shave

A very nice shave this evening.

Asd likes this.
  9. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Keep going, Dale - ROCK-N-Rolls! :happy088:

PanChango likes this.
  10. MarkStar

MarkStar Well-Known Member

Tuesday, August 23, 2011
    Merkur 39C
    Opal Brush (re-knotted)
    MWF/ Kent
    4711 AS

[​IMG]

Dridecker and Asd like this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Dmitry, I am not sure if the Wilkinson Blue bowl I sent you is Canadian. The only thing I can tell you is it is sold here in Canada, but it may be made in Holland, Belgium, or perhaps France. Erasmic is a delightful soap - I think that you would love it. :)

12. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

It is just a plan for a future buy. My 'to buy' list becomes longer and longer, I'm afraid to found myself with a heap of new products...I just wish I could narrow up my collection to some favorites and stick to them, like Dale does! But my ADs bites me from time to time...

crackstar likes this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My friend, just wait - whether you like it or not, you're going to get at least 2 heaps of new products. I haven't done anything yet, but I am going to, and sooner than you think. You cannot hide from me - I will find you no matter where you are! LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Asd likes this.
  14. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

I need a new shoebox and THAT will be big and sturdy and will have 'Gems from Jeff' writing on the top... Thanks againg, my dear friend! hope to broaden up your great collection, too!

herzi likes this.
  15. herzi

herzi Active Member

Perhaps a small tip for you Dmitry. Take Wilki soap out of the tub and wash your hands with it. This can be well done with this soap. And you can get sooner to the other Gems ;)
    I think the Wilki bowl is everywhere the same, except Italy, but I think you better should avoid this.
    The Erasmic should be a soap you really will love.

Today's shave:
    Shower with Musgo Real rope soap
    Frank Shaving finest Tulip black
    Palmolive stick (it lasts and lasts and lasts, I think I shaved with it now for over five months and it will last another)
    Apollo OC with Swedish Gillette
    Alcream ASC

The Swedish Gillette is a very nice blade. Usually I use a blade for one week but this blade was so sharp after this period I decided to give her a second one.

Asd likes this.
  16. Oberloser

Oberloser Well-Known Member

Gillette OT
    with Red Personna (1)
    H.L. Thäter 49125/1
    Floris No.89 SC
    Tüff Herbal AS
    Czech&Speake No.88 EdT

Have a nice day! :)

[​IMG]

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Tuesday Morning:
    Popular Model
    Arko
    Rooney Finest
    Knize Ten
    Ahh...

[​IMG]

18. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan! I have a plenty of high-quality stuff unopened to waste time finishing Wilki bowl. Maybe it will be better to retire it as there is a whole line of candidates to it's place!
    Sounds like you met that 'infinity blade' that guys meets from time to time. Besides, seems you're blessed with 'infinitive Palmolive stick' too! I used only a half of my first Palmolive stick and that little stick is tough to beat! Palmolive is my goto stick because it works with any kind of water I can meet in hotels.

19. herzi

herzi Active Member

This is also because of two things. I use a rather small brush with a knot of 20mm. The smaller the brush the less soap you need for good lather. And the other thing is I hate wasting things. I never use more soap or cream than I need just to empty a tube faster.

Asd likes this.
  20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

R41: Day 2 :bounce015:
    • Muhle R41
    • Bullardo 24 mm super badger re-knot
    • Voshkod (2)
    • KMF mint
    • Osage Rub/Barbasol Pacific Rush AS
    Shave was less weird already with nearly the same result as yesterday, nearly perfect after 2 passes. I didn't go as slow today because of false confidence and got a few weepers but other than that it was another amazing shave. I'm interested to see how tomorrow goes on day 3 on that blade; will I get 3 or 4 shaves out of it?

4.5 out 5 blades.