SoS: August 25, 2014 - August 31, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 24, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A REAL beauty, that one is!:happy088: :love055:

vwp528, Llyr, crackstar and 1 other person like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

THURzDAY
    Evening Shave for Tomorrow
    A 'cold water' shave tonight using the regular MdC puck. Between the chill of the cold water and fresh scent of the lather, a very refreshing experience! Three passes with the big frame back, plus a little touch-up on the throat & presto! Ready for bed! :)

Have a blessed Thursday, everyone!

[​IMG]

3. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

First time posting a SOTD... Because it's my first time with a DE Safety Razor! Previously only ever used mass-market crap (Fusion, Mach 3) so this was a huge change for me. Also, I only shave my head and small areas above and below my beard... I made the decision a few weeks ago to go "Bald By Choice" and haven't looked back. I had lost most of my hair with the male-pattern baldness and got tired of people saying "You look just like your dad." (He had the fringe and did the comb-over. I never combed over but still...)

Anyway, on to my SOTD:

Prep: Neutrogena Face Wash and Head Wash by Head Blade. Used a hot cloth first to open the pores and lift the grain a bit.

Lather: Head Slick

Hardware: Micro Touch One (hey, don't judge... My first Safety, bought tonight at a CVS with $10 in ExtraCare Bucks for a total of $9.99 + tax out of pocket. I'm waiting for my cheap eBay-bought models to arrive and have my eye on the Jagger DE89 once I get better and can PIF)

Blade: Dorco, came with my MTO. Seemed decent and somewhat forgiving. Went WTG first, then ATG. Didn't feel confident enough yet to try XTG except above the sideburns.

After: Experimented with Clubman Pinaud. Wife HATED it. Washed off, went with Head Clear since it's unscented... Then added a little Cade by L'Occitane because I have loved the scent for years. Finished with a little Head Lube-Matte since things felt a little tight and dry.

Overall: an even smoother shave than expected for my first DE shave of my head. No nicks or blood. And it was even smoother tonight with the MTO than my shave yesterday with that new Gillette Fusion ball monstrosity I tried. So I'm hooked, I think. I can only imagine how much better it will be once something superior to the Micro Touch One arrives.

Suggestions are welcome... I'm a total noob.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409205130.404317.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  4. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    Thursday Morning Shave
    Razor:
    Gillette Super Speed
    Blade: ASCO (2)
    Brush: Vie-Long White Horse Hair
    Soap: Derby
    AS: Barbon

5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

You are absolutely right, I will find a proper name for it soon :)

Sort off. It's from a broomstick, but same same I guess :)

Stroker, vwp528, dscaver and 2 others like this.
  6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Thor's Day:

Prep: Hot shower, Healthy Accents Daily Renewal cleanser, TSD Jasmine Sambac preshave balm
    Brush: Beeline Boar
    Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Asco SS: Red (4)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (7, 8)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails AS splash
    Cologne: Gigember Estragone by Dr. Vranjes

Started off with the Stirling Ben Franklin bath soap, so that I would smell like one of the USA's Founding Fathers spilled root beer on his pantaloons ;). Prep all went very well, using familiar materials. Then, it was time to lather up. I can't say if it was my use of the boar brush, the fact that the soap hadn't had more than 10 minutes to soak up the water sprinkled on it, or simply an issue with how my body chemistry works with something in bay rum, but the lather was less than impressive. Adequate glide and skincare, but no real cushion to speak of during my two-pass, DFS maiden voyage of the celebrated Stirling shave soap, and I had to go back to the puck twice for more product.

7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Grapefruit goodness
    This was another superb shave with Ferox, chased by the grapefruit scented Shea Moisture elixir. My face is as smooth as ever, and getting there was comfortable and easy. No weepers or irritation. Just a great one all around.

Prep: RR/HTGAM lime menthol
    Soap: B&M Ferox
    Brush: Rubberset 400
    Razor: iKon SC101
    Blade: Personna lab blue (3)
    AS: Shea Moisture Elixir and balm
    [​IMG]

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thursday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Rapira day 4
    Synergy Frost_byte SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Anherb AS Conditioner :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Osage Rub AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Givenchy Pour Homme EdT

Smoother than silk, smelling great, and ready to go after another terrific shave. The reason I used the Frost_byte soap again this morning was to confirm the fact that although it's an awesome face-freezer, it's still a notch under the Stirling Glacial soaps. I can't believe how easily it lathers and the skincare is pretty good. The Anherb conditioner delivered wonderfully on the cooling and soothing, and the Rubby Dubby Doo made my face feel like a sheet of ice afterwards! ;) :D

9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I'm glad you liked your first shave =)

You know that ATG is against the grain and XTG is across the grain? You say you did WTG and ATG but didn't feel confident enough for XTG. Are u mixing the 2? Because XTG is less scary in my opinion =)

I read that some people have trouble with the Edwin jagger handle, but then again some doesn't. But I don't know. The muhle r89 has the same head and I really like the handle

vwp528, ram57, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    whipped dog silvertip
    pirate cove rose shave soap
    Schick krona
    persona lab(2)
    crusella&co legitima rose
    today's shave is coming up roses. the dog is great with a soap. the krona is,wow, great shave. the legitima takes me from grandma to captain hook ready for shore leave.
    hope y'all have a rosy day. 20140828_072400-1.jpg

11. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

8/28/14

Prep: warm wash with Stirling Naked&Smooth bath soap
    Lather: IanS hobbyist soap
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M
    Razor: Gillette New SC
    Blade: Sharp Stainless (2)

I was on the University campus yesterday afternoon to pick up parking passes, etc before my 5 p.m. class and stopped in the bookstore. My white chin whiskers made me feel even older than I normally feel, so I decided to shave it off. My mustache can pass for blond, but the chin is white. Bonus, more face to lather and shave. The extra bit of face helped me get a decent face lather with the IanS soap. 2 passes and I have a DFS.

13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Thursday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Cocoa Butter Bath Soap
    Soap: TOBS Avocado Cream
    Razor: Gillette FH Tech/Maggard MR1 Handle
    Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip-22mmx48mm
    Aftershave: Canoe

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

TOBS Avocado today-“Top 5” cream. Instant thick lather with a great fresh scent. It is spectacular. MR1 handle on my Fat Handle Tech with a Med Prep. Another smooth, close, nick free shave. The MR1 handle really does seem to “up” the FH Tech. I finished with Canoe.

Bob

[​IMG]

14. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, the XTG seems to be more difficult, for shaving my head. (Across the top of my head, L to R or R to L.) Then again, it's hard for me to say if that's really XTG or not... I guess I had been orienting myself as ATG = back to front and WTG = front to back. But maybe I'm wrong... Is it like magnetic north, where everything from the apex down is "South"? When shaving one's head, which direction really is (typically) "XTG?"

crackstar, Stroker, vwp528 and 2 others like this.
  15. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Prep: Warm shower, Proraso Pre Shave
    Razor: Schick G8
    Blade: EMS (1)
    Lather: Proraso Sandalwood
    Brush: Oscar11 w/ Omega 20248 Knot
    Aftershave: Old Spice

I've been out of town and out of touch for the last couple of days. My shaves have been OK, but nothing special. Today, however, I got a very, very nice shave. This was my first shave with the Schick G8 and it performed very well. This was also my first shave with Proraso Sandalwood. I've used C.O Bigelow many times, but not Sandalwood. The scent was just OK, but the performance was top notch.

While out of town, I used Barbasol shave cream for the sake of convenience. This was the first time in over a year that I've used shaving cream from a can and while it did a decent job, I will not be using it or any other canned cream again. At least not any time soon. I leave to go out of town again tomorrow, but I'll be taking a full kit with me this time, including soap, brush, and bowl.

Have a great day!

16. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pre: Shave Secret
    Brush: Omega 48Pro Boar (Brushzilla)
    Soap: Genuine Ogalalla Bay Rum Shave Stick – Bay Rum & Lemon
    Razor: Schick Injector – L Series
    Blade: Schick Injector Blade (3)
    Splash: Thayers Natural Remedies Lemon Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Astringent

Going forward I will most likely skip my Wednesday SOTD posting as lately its just too hectic that day. The only notable item of the shave anyway was that I used up the last of my Maggard Razors – Fougere Sauvage sample. Time to re-up!...

Get the Schick on over to That Shave Life!:yoda2

17. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD August 28
    Prep: hot shower
    Razor: Aristocrat TTO Open Comb
    Blade: Bolzano (day 3)
    Brush: Vie-Long
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Passes: 2 (WTG, XTG)

My Aristocrat is, for me anyways, an aggressive razor. In fact, it is the most aggressive DE I have. That aggressiveness has an unpleasant way of being out the worst in a blade. I had hoped that the Bolzano would pair nicely with the Aristocrat and for the first shave this was looking to be the case. After yesterday's and now today's shave, I don't plan on pairing these two up again.

I do get a great DFS+ from the Aristocrat Bolzano combo, but it comes with too much tugging. I'll be moving the Bolzano to a different razor tomorrow and will have to continue the hunt for the best blade for my Aristocrat another day.

[​IMG]

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Eric,
    I only shave mine front to back. If I go the other way I always cut myself. 2 passes front to back and I am good for 2-5 days.

crackstar, vwp528, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Feather Portable
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Semogue BC Cerda
    AoS Lavender SC
    Alum
    Superior 70 Bay Rum
    Bigelow Lemon 1099 EDP

A very nice shave today.

20. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Eric,I do my dome,ATG,back to front,the top of my noggin is also ATG if there was any growth,that goes south to north.I only need to do 1 pass and maybe a touch-up.

crackstar, vwp528, ram57 and 2 others like this.