SoS: August 25, 2014 - August 31, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

8/30/14
    Prep: Warm shower
    Lather: IanSoaps hobbyist puck
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M
    Razor: Gillette New SC
    Blade: Sharp Stainless (4)

I am tired. The Colorado State Fair is on day 8 of the 10 day run and I am out there pretty much every day until around 9 p.m. I've not posted in a few days, but I am well groomed every day. Today was a head shave and face shave. 2 passes for both with the IanS soap from his Etsy shop and all is good. The New SC made short work of a week's growth of head stubble. The Sharp blade continues to be sharp.

[​IMG]
    2 more days of the fair and then life is back to "normal".

Stroker, dscaver, TSimons and 15 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140831.jpg
    Cold Water Shave

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Kiss My Face Cool Mint
    Tweezerman Badger
    Gillette FH Tech w/ Utopia handle
    Wilkinson Sword Stainless
    CWR
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS

The Kiss My Face Cool Mint face-lathered very easily with my Tweezerman Badger brush. Two passes with my Gillette Tech with Utopia handle and a Wilkinson Sword Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Stroker, dscaver, TSimons and 17 others like this.
  3. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Tomorrow's planned shave is going to be with my newly-arrived (super cheap) eBay purchase: the Weishi 9306-H. I figure it should perform at least as well as the Micro Touch One I started with last week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409445615.002985.jpg

And I must admit, I am enchanted by the "Engrish" on the packaging:

"Needlessly load and unload shaver"

"Inimitable rotating handle"

And from the back: "Hold the petiole of the shaver with left hand..." (I believe their translator needs some lessons... Petiole is typically a botany term for "stem," isn't it? Do people use this term when describing a razor component?)

Regardless, looking forward to my next shave, even though I know this thing is basically one step above a toy. But now I officially own two safety razors... Even though neither of them are anything to brag about. Maybe one day soon I can pay it forward!

(And I may have just thought of a gift for my 22-year-old son's next birthday!)

Stroker, dscaver, TSimons and 16 others like this.
  4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Any razor that gets you a good shave is one to brag about, whether it cost you $200 or $20.

TSimons, Llyr, LifesShort and 8 others like this.
  5. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

What if I only paid $8.99 with free shipping?

I guess we will find out if it delivers a good shave tomorrow morning =)

Llyr and Troy M like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I think they may be the same razor, or pretty darn close.

Llyr and crackstar like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Don, that's a nice setup.

8. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Thank you . It was quite an enjoyable and comfortable shave. It's hard to beat the DR Harris soaps IMHO. They lather like champs.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since tomorrow (8/31) will be a very busy day, here is my planned shave.

[​IMG]

Stroker, Ryan B, figment714 and 16 others like this.
  10. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

1903 - 1906 (1905 pictured) Gillette produced the first of his razors. Known as a Double Ring (the rings below the head) were the first if his empire and the demise of men going to the barber to get a shave, and shaving at home- "No Stropping, No Honing"[​IMG]

Stroker, Ryan B, figment714 and 19 others like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

SUNDAY
    Evening Shave for Tomorrow

Early day tomorrow so tonight I wanted to have a pleasant relaxed shave.
    Before I ship the razor off to it's new home, I wanted one last good shave with the big JRodgers faux frame back. Initially, I felt the scales I made were inadequate to the sheer size of the blade, but once it came all together, they meshed beautifully—better than expected! I really enjoy the feel of this razor: good balance and comfortable to hold. It's a heavy blade that is fairly thick so it doesn't make as much noise as a full or half-hollow blade. My second use of the icy-cold Stirling—a chilly, face-numbing experience with a satisfying anise scent. I had a day & a half growth which yield with little resistance to the big Rodgers. 3-passes; super smooth results. I'm gonna miss this razor!

Have a blessed Sunday, all, as we bid 'good bye' to August!

[​IMG]

12. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Japanese Gold Rex full hollow 13/16
    Kanayama cordovan #8000
    Bill Jack custom Blue 8
    Boellis Panama 1924
    Alum & Witch Hazel
    TFS Bergamot & Neroli balm
    Diptyque Tam Dao Edp

[​IMG]

Stroker, Ryan B, figment714 and 20 others like this.
  13. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Shave of the Day

Selfmade preshave | Alvarez Gomez shaving cream | Merkur 39c | Lord super stainless | Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo | Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

Today i used my 39c. Did not used it since a long time...i can say, it was a damn great shave. BBS in 2-passes with a few touch ups. No nicks, no cuts, no irritations, just a gentle and thoroughly shave which was very very enjoyable.

Now i will enjoy my day.

Take care and have a great time.

Greetings
    Thorsten​

14. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I apologize for my obvious lack of clarity in a response intended to say "regardless of price." I can only endeavor to be clearer in the future.

Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and Shotwell like this.
  15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Sundays shave
    Pre shave - Gillette pre shave wash
    Lather DR Harris Marlborough shaving stick
    Razor Pils De
    Blade Gillette Silver Blue
    Aftershave Pina Clubman Special Reserve

A really nice bbs today i really like the dr harris soap. It smells great and it is easy to lather. I think i might have to buy a puck of it the future. ☺

Stroker, Ryan B, figment714 and 21 others like this.
  16. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    Sunday Morning Shave
    Razor:
    Gillette Slim (S3)
    Blade: ASCO (3)
    Brush: Isana Men Pure Badger
    Soap: ARKO with 2 drops of Bergamot, 3 drops of Mint and 3 drops of Eucalyptus Oils.
    AS: Barbasol Pacific Rush

It was a cooling shave for me. I bowl lathered Arko shaving soap it made a great,slick and velvel lather, but I absolutely love face lathering. I think during face lathering, the skin softens fairly well. All in all, it was a good shave.

Stroker, Ryan B, figment714 and 22 others like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sunday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Rapira day 7
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Lubriderm Unscented Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui EdT

This was one of the most satisfying shaves I've had in a while because I was able to slow down and take my time so I could enjoy it thoroughly. The Glacial Wintergreen is from the family of the coldest soaps ever created, and its lather is such a pleasure to work with, whereas before when the Glacial line first came out it was difficult to get it going. The menthol power clobbers you right away, and a word of caution - keep this lather away from your eyes if you don't want them to start tearing. The matching witch hazel has that same great scent and delivers an intense freeze which lingers for at least a half hour. ;) :D

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Sunday:

Prep: Hot shower, Healthy Accents Daily Renewal cleanser, TSD Jasmine Sambac Preshave balm
    Brush: Simpson 56 Best Badger
    Soap: Ginger's Garden Coffee Jasmine
    Razor: FaTip Piccolo
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox (3)
    Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG (4, 5, 6)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS splash
    Cologne: Jasmin et Cigarettes by Etat Libre d' Orange

After a 1-pass shave yesterday, I pressed my luck this AM with a 3rd pass. The prep and lather were outstanding - I could have honestly gotten a 4th pass from the lather I had after 20 seconds swirling on the puck - and the Bolzano blade was still going strong. I also paid extra attention today to the idea of not going over the same spot multiple times during a single pass, so I figured the stars might be aligned right for an ATG pass. I got BBS results, but naturally, I also caught a weeper at my Adam's Apple and another along my left side jowl. Luckily, the post-care routine took care of that without any more issue than the sting of the alum.

19. razorguy

razorguy Well-Known Member

Sunday August 31, 2014

[​IMG]

Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point

Today shave is dedicated to the endless talent of Mastro Livi and his art. Brush, strop and razor are all made by Mastro Livi and, by the way, the straight razor is very special. Not only for being a superb shaver, but also for the fact this is the very last new grind ever made by Mastro Livi, the one ending the glorious story of those seventy years old blades and brought to life by Mastro Livi. This is the razor I filmed in the video I made in which Mastro Livi tells the story of these blades and razor. By the way, the shave was superb, the brush super soft and pleasing, the lavender smell of Weleda soap was simply a lovely touch to this amazing shave.​
    • Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre-Shave Green
    • Soap: Weleda Shaving Cream
    • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger Brush - Knot 26mm
    • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
    • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
    • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
    • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • After Shave: Floïd Masaje Genuino Mentolado Vigoroso After Shave

20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

@razorguy : I like your photos so much...GREAT!!! :happy096::signs021:

Greetings
    Thorsten

crackstar, ram57 and Llyr like this.