SoS: August 27th, 2012 - September 2nd, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I find it to be a very nice soap with a great scent and excellent lather and skincare. I have sensitive skin, but this stuff soothes it very, very well.

macaronus, Llyr and Azarius like this.
  2. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Saturday posted late
    Proraso preshave balm
    Proraso white
    Simpsons Berkley 46, face lather
    Gillette New, with Gillette 7O'Clock Super platinum blue for the first two passes, and Astra SP for the third
    Alcolado Glacial and Gillette intense cooling balm.
    The first pass was a little rough, the second was awful, changed blades for a good finish.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmm.... so far I've seen rubber ducks, a donkey, and now R2D2.

I gotta find me a shavin' buddy! :D

4. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Go for it Steve! I like my bathroom but it is boring hospital white everything. I thought it might mix things up a little. Besides my sons always have some sort of action figure laying on the sink.

macaronus, Llyr and fishcrow like this.
  5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Sunday, o9/02/2012

Typical start to the day includes a hot shower with the luxury of natural bar soap.
    Facial prep was with Prairie Creations pre-shave soap. I really enjoy this soap does a great job not only cleanse my face but also setting up my face for shaving.
    Brush choice today was my Semogue 1460.
    It did a fantastic job in lather up the Burma puck.
    I got a early start on theme week, this morning's razor was the "Fat Boy" with a Wilkson Sword blade. This combo made for a great shave.
    Two passes dialed to 6 and then the last pass dialed down to 4
    Cold water splash after a superb shave, followed with a facial rub of alum, a splash of Colonmia. Today's cologne English Leather "Black".

BeFunky_ViewFinder_7.jpg

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Sunday Morning

Heading out on the lake today might be the last weekend as Fall seems to be coming fast barely over 70 here and the nights have had freeze warnings for gardeners for 2 weeks [​IMG]

Getting a wee bit chilly up here

Prep = Hot Shower, I actually tried a tiny bit of the Argen oil on the beard today
    Lather = Überlather TGQ "Highlander" Cream & Soap with 5 drops of Glycerin
    Brush = Shavemac 28mm Silvertip (the furry animal)
    Strop SRD Premium #1 25/50
    Razor = Dovo Fritz Bracht #25 6/8 Spike
    Shave = WTG XTG clear water touch up
    Astringent = Alum
    Ice water rinse
    A/S = Brut Splash

Results = OOooooooo baby

[​IMG]

Have a great weekend Gents !!!!

7. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

• Brush:Semogue LE horn 2009
    • Cream: LaToja
    • Razor: Futur
    • Blade: Polsilver
    • A/S: Floris No.127 DSC04304.JPG

8. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

I don't believe I have seen English Leather "Black" before. It has been a decade since my last bottle of English Leather ran out. How does it compare? I may "need" something at the drug store to see if they have any in stock, haha. :chores016:

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  9. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day (SOTD) Sunday September 2, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaking in ice water, face wash with Noxzema Triple Clean, cold shower
    Razor: Cadet TP-26
    Blade: Rapira (1)
    Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: English Leather
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Rub, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

First use of the Cadet TP-26 Closed Comb. The head looks virtually identical to that of the R89/DE89, although it is more aggressive.

I have used this handle with the Open Comb Head, so I am used to it's weight and balance. At 88 grams loaded I find this to be a very well centered and comfortable razor in my hands.

Being Semogue September will not be a difficult thing for me to do since every other brush is collecting dust. I went with the 620 today as I am still in the process of breaking it in.

The Cadet TP-24 loaded with the Rapira made for a very close shave. The first pass gave me nearly a BBS on my face. Two full passes and touch up's only to my jawline and neck gave me as close to BBS that I can get.

My wife picked out the aftershave which was a fine choice, as I love English Leather :cool:

10. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

Sunday, September 02, 2012, Shaving Ritual

Razor: 68 Slim Gillette Adjustable (N4) (set on 9)
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated (2nd use)
    Brush: Lions Head Silvertip
    Bowl: Union University Cappuccino Mug
    Soap: Mama Bears Beau Brummel
    A/S: Alum & Cold Water Rinse
    A/S: Captain’s Choice Bay Rum

I got up early this morning, had to help with the worship service at church. I did a quick 3-pass shave that resulted in a BBS shave. About two hours after I shaved this morning I have to downgrade the shave to a DFS because I began to feel some rough patches under my chin.

Lions Head SOTD 01 FrameR.jpg

11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Sunday

uploadfromtaptalk1346621197350.jpg

Muhle R106
    Gillette Spoiler
    The Colonel
    MWF
    Lucido

It was a good shave. The lather was better than yesterday because of using MWF for more than one day in a row. My neck wasn't too happy after yesterdays shave (didn't know that until this morning), but the rest of my shave was fantastic!

I love using MWF. My face feels so smooth and refreshed afterwards, its nice! In fact all lanolin soaps have that effect. :)

12. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Sept 2
    Audio: Audiobook: David Halberstam's "The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War"
    Prep: Shower
    Pre-Shave Lather: Institut Karite
    Razor: 42C
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Brush: Semogue 1803
    Soap/Cream: Herbs of Bulgaria
    Post: Witch Hazel/Rum/Aloe/Glycern mixture followed by Aubrey Organics City Rhythms AS

Will this IK ever die? I've lathered up this 1/4 ounce sample a total of 28 times now and I'd guess there's still 10 o 12 more lathers in it. Whether I use it to shave, or as a pre-lather like I have been lately, I always load it up like I'm going to shave with it. During this time I've come to know IK very well and get a fantastic lather from it, but the scent is barely there and what I can smell is like a mild soap, so I won't be buying a puck.

It was a pleasure using Herbs of Bulgaria this morning. A fantastic lather with a great lavender scent!

Thus ends my testing of Astras in every razor I own. The 42C and the Gillette Old Type have come out on top. The performance in the Old Type is so good I'm tempted to buy a few hundred, but with over 1750 blades in stock now, I'm going to try to hold out.

13. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

IK is my hardest (firmest) soap! I've a puck going on a year ... small dent in it.

Glad you came to know it... I like it a lot though I now reserve it for a weekend or holiday. I prefer moisturizing soaps with a light (or no) scent ... so, that's a qualifier there...IK fits the bill.

[edit:added descriptor]

macaronus, Norseman, 5Savages and 2 others like this.
  14. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

It is so great, I have convinced you back to the straights. IMHO, straights only has that enjoyable 'all made by myself' feeling. The most luxurious impressions...
    Sunday:
    4/8 Rebell from herzi
    Vie-Long horsehair brush
    Ceramic bowl
    Tabac SC
    Cold water splash
    The quality goes up steady. It is now BBS everywhere besides the 'hard spots', but I'm working on it... Decided to bring all straights I already have into proper shape and rotate them daily. It is my answer to SRAD!

macaronus, Norseman, Smoothy and 10 others like this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

How do you like La Toja cream? I've been thinking about ordering some myself.

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  16. Ryan B

Saturday Sept. 1st

I was an usher at a wedding so a shave was essential.

Pre: Shower, Proraso Pre/Post Cream.
    Razor: Schick Krona.
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (USA made.)
    Brush: Semogue 1305.
    Cream: Arko Sensitive.
    Post: Cold water rinse, alum block, cold water rinse, Proraso Pre/Post Cream.

Results: 2 pass shave with DFS results. I was in a rush and woke up late... Guess that's what I get for staying at the bar til it closed. However, no irritation, no bumps, nada! Also, it feels like my stubble is growing in more since I've always had trouble growing facial hair.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

HEY! What's the brush handle doing on top of your English Leather?!?! :D

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Ryan, it is outstanding and produces a rich thick lather with a scent that does not overpower. It is hard to find this but does last along time; my soap looks like brand new and I have used it four or five times.

macaronus and Ryan Bales like this.
  19. Ryan B

NICE! You are talking about the cream, not soap right? For some reason shave sticks don't work well for me. But La Toja cream is something I've been curious about.

macaronus likes this.
  20. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Hey Pat,

Isn't the Herbs of Bulgaria nice? I just love it. My face feels so conditioned after using it, and the lavender scent is natural, not an artificial perfume type scent. I am really enjoying using and trying creams from Eastern Europe.

My Inlaws are in Croatia at the moment and they always bring me back something. I told them, only bring me shaving creams this time, as I am convinced that products coming from that region are far superior to many of the products that get the most attention.

Glad too see another fan :D

5Savages and macaronus like this.