SoS : August 6th, 2012 - August 12th, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Saturday 8-11-2012

Edwin Jagger DE86 w/Crystal
    Proraso PSC
    Salters Wild Rose SC
    Parker Badger
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Brut Original ASB
    Royal Copenhagen Musk ASL

[​IMG]

2. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Blind Blade Test, Shave of the Day (SOTD) Saturday August 11, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaking in ice water, face scrub with TSD Sandalwood soap, Tepid Water Shower
    Razor: FaTip Chrome on iKOn Handle (it took about 20 wraps of teflon tape to get the handle to work)
    Blade: Blind Blade Test Blade #8, Shave #3
    Brush: Semogue 1438 Boar
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Brut
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Rub, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

This is day twenty-two of the blind blade test, which is the last shave with blade number eight.

I cheated with today's blind blade test. Instead of using the same gear, I wanted to try the blade in a razor that I would be using on a regular basis. I had my wife load the FaTip after I wrapped the threads of the cap in teflon tape. I also wanted to try the Semogue 1438 Boar in an ice water soak for a cold water shave.

The Semogue 1438 Boar is hands down my favorite brush. It had some breaking in from the previous owner Brian (SharpSpine) and I have been lathering with it daily since it arrived (although not using it for my shave routine). The bristles are very soft, much softer than the Vie-Long Beehive Horse Hair, almost as soft as my vintage Stanley Home Badger. What I love about this brush is the size of the knot, loft and handle. Combine that with an excellent backbone and incredible softness and you have yourself a near perfect brush that has a retail price under $21.00 USD

Today I bowl lathered so I could at least do everything as close as possible to the routine of the blind blade test. The 1438 is a lathering machine. I had enough lather left over in my bowl for at least 3 more passes.

There is now no other brushes for me. I will do a few re-knots to two vintage brushes that I own, but when it comes to purchasing a new brush, the only brushes that I will spend my money on are going to be Semogue.

3. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Saturday:
    Soak brush/Shavemac custom 167 2 band, d01/Ayars Bowl
    warm shower
    Proraso PrePost
    Proraso Green shave cream (new formula)
    Gillette 40's style SS W-1/Gillette Silver Blue (4)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Thayer's Medicated Superhazel
    Proraso splash (new formula) followed with Proraso Aftershave balm (new formula)

Very nice shave today,2 pass face,1 pass head,BBS all around,enjoy the weekend everyone !!!! :D

4. Stroker

Arley, when I saw the Ikon handle on the Fatip head I wondered how it fit 'cause I tried my Ikon handle to the Fatip and it didn't work. I never thought about thread tape. (DUH!) The Fatip looks great on the Ikon Bulldog! Congrats on sticking with it on that test. Using the same razor for an entire month would be torture for me! :)

Smoothy, Llyr, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Saturday, August 11, 2012. Good Morning!

Morning Coffee: Dunkin Donuts
    Prep: Wash face with O Melhor Soap
    Razor: Schick I1
    Blade: Schick
    Soap: Prairie Creations KISS
    Brush: Vulfix 406 Burlington
    Scuttle/Mug: Schwarzweisskeramik
    Post: Cold water rinse followed by some Floid Blue & Prairie Creations Balm

Photo3188.jpg

Smoothy, trader ron, Llyr and 14 others like this.
  6. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

FaTip (or whoever is the OEM for them) seems to have major issues with their quality control. There is a thread across the street about which handles fit on which FaTip head. It is all over the place, some have perfect fits with iKon, Weber, Tradere and many others, while others have no luck.

I know that my brother can get his to fit the iKon with no modification, for me, it took many, many wraps of the Teflon tape.

Some people have paired other top caps, such as the Merkur 1904 or EJ89 to use the FaTip baseplate with another handle, but in my opinion, then it is no longer a FaTip, but a Frankenrazor.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Saturday 08/11/2012

The beginnings of great day start with the luxury of a great shower. A bar of natural soap turns an ordinary shower into a great shower.
    The second part of a great start is a traditional wet shave. After the shower the bathroom is warm and steamy. The soap has been warming in the sink and the brush soaking the warmth of the water. The brush removed from the warmth of the water, it dances atop the soap. As it dances the tips begin to fill with soapy goodness, the soap exploding onto the brush, then to the awaiting bowl. Swirling along the sides the bubbles turning into mounds of snow capped lather.

The face eagerly awaits the warm lather, face prepped, final whip of lather loading the brush. The brush works the lathery magic into the face, whiskers coming to attention. Each crevice of the face covered, whiskers standing awaiting the first pass. The chosen razor and blade now in hand. Slowly down one side, then the other, done the slopes of the neck. Face re-lathered for the second swipe, this one is up stroke first up the neck, then up the cheeks. The face lathered for the final pass of east to west.

The water runs in the sink to chill it, splashing it liberally on the freshly shaven face. Wetting the alum to tone the face, then patting dry a clean shaven mug. Finishing it with a cooling splash of after shave.

Today's Tools
    Proraso glycerin
    Omega "48"
    Mama Bear's Hydrogen
    Gillette SS black handle
    Mystery blade
    Cold water, RazoRock Alum, Kanaga Water.

Results; Near perfection DFS

BeFunky_Sunburst_4.jpg

Smoothy, trader ron, DLreno and 13 others like this.
  8. Stroker

I agree with you on that Arley. There is nothing wrong with changing handles IMHO but changing caps or baseplates creates an entirely new head and the products identity is muddled and lost. (Not that there is anything wrong with creating a Frankenrazor if that's what someone really wants to do but, then it's just a Frankenrazor.) The YMMV rule applies here! :)

Smoothy, Llyr, wknicholas and 3 others like this.
  9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Wade and Wingfield 5/8 w/Ivory Scales (19th century)
    PC Woodworks and Pens Silvertip Brush with Snakewood Handle
    AOS Ocean Kemp SC
    TSD Iced Grapefruit Witch Hazel
    Mama Bear's Iced Grapefruit AS Balm
    tunes-Andrew Bird
    this was my Fri shave
    IMG_5464.jpg

10. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Saturday:

Hot water splash / 30 minute soak in TSD ISZ Pre / Proraso Cream / EJ DE89L w/ Feather / RazoRock / Osage Rub

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344705063.068185.jpg

Smoothy, trader ron, DLreno and 15 others like this.
  11. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

08/11/12

Started out the day with a fresh hair cut from my awesome wife! She did my son's as well.

Then off for a nice 2 pass shave, and my son with a no blade shave!

Me:
    Razor: Parker 22R
    Blade: Shark Super Chrome
    Omega Shave Soap
    Brush: El Cheapo

My Son:
    Razor: Parker 22R
    Blade: NONE! :)
    Omega Shave Soap
    Brush: El Cheapo

I swear my nearly 5 year old son is BBS every time! :)

Smoothy, trader ron, DLreno and 11 others like this.
  12. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Heck with the shave, I like the clock and the match book holder.:)

Smoothy, Llyr and Dslazar9 like this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, he's got the right technique! ;) :rofl:

Llyr, fishcrow and macaronus like this.
  14. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Ha! My house is like a museum. My wife as VAD (vintage anything addiction)

Smoothy, Llyr, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  15. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Danny,

Well that's good because that means the older you get, she'll love you all the more! :)

Smoothy, Dslazar9, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  16. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Saturday
    Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Voskhod
    Semogue 1520
    MWF
    Floid Blue
    Firehouse Wacky Tacky

Smoothy, trader ron, DLreno and 11 others like this.
  17. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

August 10
    Face Wash: Nivea Moisturizing Face Wash
    Pre-Shave Lather: Institut Karite
    Shave Oil: Homemade shave oil
    Razor: Merkur 38M
    Blade: Ladas (2)
    Brush: Vulfix 660S
    Soap/Cream: TABAC!!
    Post: 5Savages ASL (WH, Vodka, EdC), The Body Shop Razor Relief ASB

DFS! Unfortunately a nasty cankor sore is preventing me from my usually facial twists and turns so it's preventing me from a BBS. Still, pretty darn good!

The second go-round of the Ladas is turning out better than the first time. I think I'll be able to keep them. Now to find out which of my razors they work well in. I may have a razor or two to PIF when this is all done.

Smoothy, trader ron, DLreno and 10 others like this.
  18. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Saturday Morning

Belated post. Where do Saturdays go??

Pre (yard work, Eucerin, cool shower)
    Simpsons Milk Churn
    Institut Karite SS
    Merkur 1904 Open Comb w/ (not sure)???
    Post (Cetaphil, cold water rinse, Master Bay Rum, BBQ!)

DFS+/BBS- by means of wtg, xtg, atg, touch-ups. The 1904 just isn't aggressive enough to give me a true BBS shave. Very comfortable.

Institut Karite = pure moisture! I've been fortunate to have great success lathering this soap. Luxurious IMHO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344748122.041410.jpg

Smoothy, trader ron, wlmcad and 8 others like this.
  19. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Always a great read. (double thumbs up)

Llyr and macaronus like this.
  20. dinatali

dinatali Well-Known Member

shower
    Merkur 11C
    feather #2
    Robert Becker scuttle
    semogue 2000
    MWF
    4711 Portugal

[​IMG]

Smoothy, trader ron, wlmcad and 10 others like this.