SoS: December 17th, 2012 - December 20th, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Tuesday
    Merkur 37C
    Red Israeli Personna
    Proraso Wheat
    Omega 10005 Boar
    Aqua Velva Musk

alpla444, Llyr, Azarius and 13 others like this.
  2. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Tusday 12-18-2012

Razor: Muhle 41
    Blade: Bic Platinum
    Brush: Turkish Horse #6
    Cream: Nivea Sensitive [​IMG]
    AS: Nivea Sensitive

WOWOW! Today shave besides being finished with BBS was very smooooth, I forgot that I use aggressive razor!

Asd, alpla444, Llyr and 12 others like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Ern
    Calani Oriental Plum
    22mm Grade A

Nice shave this morning. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]
    photo sharing websites

Asd, alpla444, Llyr and 13 others like this.
  4. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

Well these arrived yesterday so I just had to try the auto strop it gave a fine shave certainly would have been acceptable when they were made maybe a modern blade works better ? So I went over it with the the red tip with a durex blade which resulted in a dfs still using canned foam so that may have affected it or it may be these blades need to be stroped before there first use

Ryan Bales, Llyr, Azarius and 9 others like this.
  5. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Late monday post:
    • Prep: hot washing cloth
    • Brush: Wilkinson Sword badger
    • Cream: DVH
    • Razor: Gillette flare tip Rocket
    • Blade: Astra (#2)
    • Shave: 3-pass + touch-up
    SoS 2012-12-17.jpg

Excellent DFS++

Asd, alpla444, oscar11 and 11 others like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

... followed by Tuesday's shave
    • Prep: Hot washing cloth
    • Music: Regina Spektor, Begin To Hope
    • Brush: Travel King boar
    • Soap: Tabac stick
    • Razor: GEM OCMM
    • Blade: GEM stainless
    • Shave: 3-pass + touch-up
    SoS 2012-12-18.jpg

Outstanding DFS++ shave.

Asd, alpla444, ChiefShaver and 13 others like this.
  8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Monday - 17.12.2012

I don't do menthol mondays. Mostly because I have too little of that menthol stuff. But I decided I would give it a go and doing (there is no try) it out for size
    Mostly when I go menthol, I use Proraso. But since I have been on a Fitjarsoap craze lately I had no choice than to take out my Folgefonn soap from the same vendor

Folgefonn is a glacier in the Norseland, and I have been there. It was summer, it was wet and surprisingly cold
    And after a few hours of walkabout on this mountain of snow and ice it feels pretty good to get into a wam car and drive far far away in ludicrous speed

The fijarsoap is quite the opposite. When I am on the glacier (lathering up and shaving) I can only smell the cold. I do not feel it on my face. But when I have finished my shave, applied some hazel, a touch of after shave and finishing off with a warm and cozy moisturizer, then the cold hits me. Very strange. Not unpleasant, just strange.

It was also my first try with a Wilkinsons Sword blade. And it was surprisingly sharp and gentle. I had not expected that. Unfortunately I only had time for two passes, so the result was less then adequate. But as long as I got to shave, I do not care.

Merkur 34c
    Wilkinsons Sword Razor Blade
    Proraso Boar Brush - A true gem this brush, I do not use it enough
    FitjarSoap Folgefonn
    Witch Hazel
    Proraso Aftershave Lotion
    Fitjarsoap K3 Moisturizer

No picture today

Asd, alpla444, fishcrow and 12 others like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm not a farmer, but I've done some hunting, mudding, tons of fishing, climbing on hay bales... I just can't get used to country music.

fishcrow, oscar11, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Tuesday - 18.12.2012

Merkur Futur day. It's been a long time since I used the Merkur Futur razor, and I do not understand why. It felt absolutely lovely to use. Loaded with a Gillette Silver Blue blade I had a absolute wonderful three pass shave.
    It was also my first time using the Sir Irisch Moos shave stick, and it lived up to its reputation. Very nice soapy scent, excellent lather and much better than Tabac, which I have been told is its identical twin :)
    I will have to confirm that by using the same setup tomorrow, except replacing the Sir Irisch stick with the Tabac stick.

My aftershave of choice was Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla aftershave. And in a way it felt more like I was putting on cologne than aftershave. The result is that I am now stinking up the house. :)

Merkur Futur Razor
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Merkur Futur Brush
    Sir Irisch Moos Shave Stick
    Generic Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave
    L'Occitane Cade Aftershave Balm

DSC_4708.JPG

Asd, alpla444, macaronus and 11 others like this.
  11. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Busy time of the year! Work, Holiday Cheer, and everything that goes with it!

A synopsis of the week goes as follows:

Eucerin cream
    Warm/Hot showers
    Omega Pro Boar
    Gold Dachs Spezial/MWF/T&H UC cream
    Merkur 23c with Gillette Super Thin/Kai Stainless
    Cetaphil gentle cleanser
    Master Bay Rum

Results varied from DFS to BBS by means of two passes to three w/ touch ups (and irritation). All great products!!

My Semogue arrived today! Also bought some Ingrams as a gift ... so I snuck another Ingrams into the order to try for myself. Menthol has never done it for me. Maybe with the lanolin in it and UK manufacturing ...it'll be kind to me? We'll see.

Anyway, Semogue on the docket tomorrow ... I'm excited! :)

12. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Prep L'Occitane Cedarwood Soap
    Razor Vintage Maxotte High Grade 5/8
    Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
    brush simpsons Chubby 1 in Super
    Cream Simpsons
    Alum & Witch Hazel
    Una brennan Neroli Moisturiser
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Eau de Parfum
    A super smooth two pass shave from the Maxotte, what an incredible grind on this razor the finest I've seen, you can actually flex the blade if you press it firm enough, hats off to who ever ground that blade.
    [​IMG]

Ryan Bales, Asd, alpla444 and 13 others like this.
  13. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

sotd-19-dec.jpg
    • Floids PSG
    • Lord EmoFresh SC
    • Muhle Synthetic Brush
    • Gillette 1930s Canadian Silver Tech
    • Feather Blade (3)
    • Osage Rub
    • Vifrex ASG
    • Floids "The Genuine" ASL
    I was surprised to find that my skin was still sensitive today. In Kong Kong the humidity is usually 90% plus and here in London at the moment it is also high at 93%. Hmm... try telling that to my face! I think on my next trip I will have to take along something with superior skin care like MWF. I took it nice and slow today with three very gentle passes. Happily, my trusty old Canadian Tech was still able to deliver the BBS goods. (What a polite razor!) :) I will be taking off for Honkers in about eight hours.

Cheers, Lyndon

Ryan Bales, Asd, alpla444 and 14 others like this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

$T2eC16VHJHYE9nzpeCqeBQCl+F,4bg~~60_12.jpg tabgel.jpg 2_h240.png Wednesday:

#6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/Shark day 3
    Proraso Blue SC :love055: :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing:
    Tabiano AS Gel :love055: :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing:
    Barbon AS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Polo Original EDT

This new Proraso Blue cream is a real treat for sensitive skin - it's so moisturizing and soothing, and there's a very SMALL menthol effect which is detectable. I love the scent and lather as well. Usually when I use a Proraso cream or soap, I lather it with my Omega brush, but lately I'm so hooked on my Turkish Horsehair. The Tabiano gel and Barbon aftershave made the end of this shave a great pleasure! ;) :D

Ryan Bales, Asd, alpla444 and 14 others like this.
  15. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

Well thank God it is hump day! I don't think I can stand much more of this week. To give an idea of what it has been like so far. Monday I over slept sightly so started the day feeling rushed. Finally got to the local light rail stop and boarded the train, clearly not having looked at the head sign on it (there are two lines that run through that station so 50/50 chance right?). And as the door of the car closed and the train took off it became clear that it was not the line I wanted. So the next station I got off and started the 20 minute wait for a train to take me back to where I had started out from followed by a 5 minute wait for the next iteration of the train I really did want. So at the time I am usually getting settled a my desk I was just getting on the train to start the journey. And so help me that has been the high point of the week. If somewhat rushed the shaves have been nice. So far all three have been more or less the same.
    Warm water soak of the old beard area, TBS Maca Root SC, Merkur HD with Gillette Black package 7 O'clock blade, Nivea sensitive balm and clubman AS. Today because I had seriously oversleep was only one pass have to do shave. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Ryan Bales, alpla444, Lyndon and 10 others like this.
  16. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day (SOTD) Wednesday December 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaked in warm water, face washed with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser, luke warm shower
    Razor: Matador Capa Dorada
    Blade: Shark Super Stainless
    Brush: VL restored with TGN 22 mm Silvertip
    Soap: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus with added Menthol
    ASB: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm (the "old" original formula)
    AS: Aqua Velva Musk

I live another day, although with the Zombie Apocalypse scheduled to hit on Friday we we need to make every shave as good as possible, as we never know when it is going to be our last shave ;)

It has been almost two weeks since I have used the Matador so I loaded it with a Shark. The shave went exceptionally well, no biting or harshness, just an extremely close shave.

I am becoming spoiled by the TGN knots, such a great bang for the buck. I am sure that there are softer badger hair brushes, but for as little money that I have in this, I cannot imagine one being as nice as this.

Ryan Bales, Asd, alpla444 and 13 others like this.
  17. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Wednesday:

Semogue 620 / EJ DE 89L w/ Voskhod blade / RazoRock Chianti Lavender soap / WH / Pinaud Clubman A/S

18. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Wednesday

soak brush/Semogue SOC,2 band/DB Brush Scuttle
    hot shower
    Proraso PrePost Cream
    Mama Bear's Lime Ice Stick
    Schick Paul Revere/Pella Coated (2)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    warm water rinse
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    SCS Lime Splash

Great 2 pass face,1 pass dome for BBS all around.

19. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Wednesday morning, December 19, 2012

Schick E2 Injector razor w/ Schick blade,
    Semogue 1250 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap w/ hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

Arko 8.JPG

Ryan Bales, Asd, alpla444 and 12 others like this.
  20. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Iv gotta say...todays shave was probably the single best shave iv ever had. So it was obviously a nick free...irritation free shave that ended with my face bein as smooth as its ever been (being that I cant shave ATG). Anyways heres what I had today!! After many failed attempts I finally found the grain direction on my neck! Ends up half way down my neck my grain actually takes a complete turn from North to South....to East to West. It was hard to distinguish exactly what direction everything was going as my barber couldnt even figure it out! The trouble spot on my neck is apparently a swirl grain direction lol so I have to take extra time out to make it a nice shave now. Which is good for me because I sure dont mind a few extra minutes at the sink lol

Prep- Face lather-Hot Towel-Pre Shave Oil (Mix of Shave Secret Oil-Olive Oil and Castor Oil)
    Razor- EJ89
    Blade- Feather
    Brush- VDH Luxury
    Soap- RazoRock Zi Peppino
    Aftershave- Cold water rinse- Vitos Tobacco Splash

Then I finished with some Arko Classic Cream

photo-48.JPG

Ryan Bales, Asd, alpla444 and 12 others like this.