SOS: February 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Number six

[​IMG]
    Gillette :: Morris & Forndran :: Grooming Dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up and pic sir , gorgeous razor..

clint64 and BlaydRunner like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

gillette flat bottom new /french service set.gsb.wcs 26mm synthetic brush..
    wilkinson sword stick/derby stick soap, nautica voyage edt 20190222_180800.jpg

5. BlaydRunner

BlaydRunner Member

Gem MMOC / Gem SS (8) *Williams Puck Soap * Parker Boar Brush * Grog Mug * Alum Bar/Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel * Proraso Sandalwood AS * C.O. Bigelow Black Pepper Elixir No. 1586 Cologne. (BBS)

6. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Beautifully dramatic pic! Very Gone With the Wind-esque.

TommyCarioca, clint64 and brit like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 23, 2019
    Gem Damaskeene OC
    Gem PTFE
    Alpha T-400
    Mystic Water Vetiver & Oakmoss
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

8. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up and pic sir..

clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Gary.

Boru62 and brit like this.
  10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

It's a great scent. A very complex scent. A throw-back scent and style too. Starts out like a fougere then transitions to a spicy/woody then over time an aquatic vibe creeps (like a salty tone), then the spice fades and it ends up nearly all woods and those woods last many, many hours to the finish. IMO, it's worth it, but most people will opt for a decant due to the price. Although I've smelled somewhat successful clones of a few of Creed's most popular (Aventus, Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water)......I know enough about fragrances that I can say with certainty that Viking will never be successfully cloned. It's too complex and the fragrance's ingredients impart a journey/transition from opening to close. It's so complex that different people describe different experiences with the scent. It's not some 'obvious' compilation of notes. It's quite a work of art. Any clone attempt is going to be a failure and will maybe have 4 similar notes and be too simple. The genius in this fragrance is its transitions, its symphony of notes that slowly change. And, it's not aimed at some young whipper-snapper but rather a more mature crowd. The only downside? It ain't cheap.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Nautica Voyage is one awesome scent for the summer heat. Will be using that during the summer.

clint64, mrchick and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

yes sir ,it is , building a blue shave set..thank you for your influence..:)

clint64 and Tim Spencer like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites!!

February 22 - Matthew's Homecoming Shave

Razor - Gillette New SC Deluxe - The Haunted Razor
    Blade - [​IMG]
    Soap - Stirling Bay Rum
    Brush - The Canuck
    Post - Alum

Well, the haunted razor made it home from his trip to North Carolina. He looks rather different sitting in his box than he did the last time I saw him.

[​IMG]

I guess I need a razor box restorer next, because he sure makes that thing look bad! I have to say, Chris did an even better job than I ever thought I'd get on this razor. The brass corrosion was heavy on this one with the cap in pretty sad shape and a nasty spot of corrosion on the underside of the base plate. That is ALL gone and all that remains is a perfect, shiny, 24K gold finish on what was a very neglected razor. Seriously - hats off for the effort and result that went into this one. I thought I'd lose a bit of the detail in the lettering on the baseplate but he was even able to save all of that. Looks brand new. Amazing.

To welcome him home I chose Stirling Bay Rum for that classic scent and the Canuck for the perfect lather. Three passes and it was as smooth and definitely a lot of fun to give this beauty its inaugural run as a transformed diamond in the rough. When @Drygulch forced me to buy this razor, with a gun to my head and muttering threats in my ear (well, ok so he actually said "I dare you"....but that's the same thing with me) I thought maybe I'd overspent for the condition it showed up in. It's worth every penny and much more now that it's restored to its old glory. I love picking up something like this, which hadn't been used in over 60 years when it arrived, and seeing it become an heirloom like it should have been in the first place. Great razor, great shave, just a great night all around.

Enjoy your weekend!

[​IMG]

14. brit

brit in a box

the razor looks awesome..very cool..

clint64 and TestDepth like this.
  15. Number six

Thanks Gents. Have a good weekend.

clint64, Boru62 and brit like this.
  16. Number six

Yes it's the double stuffed knot. Pure luxury.

clint64, ram57 and brit like this.
  17. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20190223.

[​IMG]

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Stirling "Wintergreen" shaving soap (sample).
    Seygus "Zeppelin" V.2 (gap 0.7 mm) / Stork "Taipan" handle (10).
    Gillette 365 Stainless (3).
    Novaya Zarya "Flower from Brocard" EdC.

18. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 23 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
    Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
    Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum #1
    Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
    Fragrance:- N\A

5 more days to go for the whole month of Arko February shave.

The vintage Schick Plus Platinum blade feels like a bloody Feather blade which is very sharp and harsh on my skin...... CRIKEY!!

19. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Saturday 23rd February

[​IMG]

La Toja Magno Soap
    Proraso Sandalwood Pre Shave
    Proraso Sandalwood Soap
    Omega 11137 Boar Brush
    Ever-Ready 1912 (English) with a GEM Personna SS Blade (including a shim)
    Alum and Rinse
    Simple Facial Toner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Proraso Sandalwood AS

I love the Proraso Sandalwood Scent. The soap can be a little drying.....but that is easily sorted with the other lotions and potions!
    I could have stopped with 2 passes but went for a third to have a really close and comfortable shave.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 02/23/19

'66 Gillette Super Speed
    Wilkinson Sword (6)
    Barbasol Pacific Rush
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    Barbasol Pacific Rush A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF3392.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.