SoS: February 6th, 2012 ~ February 12th, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Dridecker, Feb 6, 2012.

1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Sunday night shave I wasn't planning on having. Was test lathering some TSD soap and got such a great lather that I didn't want to waste it.

Prep: Practically none, just a decent amount of face lathering and leaving the lather on
    Lather: TSD Interception soap - face lather
    Brush: Vulfix 2234
    Razor: Gem OCMM
    Blade: Pella Gem PTFE (1), 3 passes

I initially had some trouble getting the TSD soaps to lather well for me as they stayed very thin. I had the same trouble with another glycerin based soap, Col. Conk. Well thanks to a couple tips from Steve I was able to get a very nice thick and stable lather. Other than the wonderful scent my favorite thing about these TSD soaps is their slickness. Even with little prep I had a splendid shave with no weepers or irritation.

MRast01, Shawna, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  2. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Catch up time! Been sickly with the flu since Wed or Thurs of last week, and was home from work today as well.

Saturday Morning:

Pre: Hot Rinse
    Razor: Merkur 23c
    Blade: Supermax Super Platinum
    Cream: Speick
    Brush: Omega 10005

From what I remember, it was an excellent shave with no irritation at all.

Shawna, Alebrewer and Johnny like this.
  3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Feel better soon! Been there .. it was nasty this year! :angelic013:

4. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is pretty sad. I've DE shaving for about three weeks now and I'm still a little tentative and slow. One problem is the fact that I am still getting at least 5 or 6 bleeders each day. Still working on finding best razor. Actually, the den itself is at least adequate as I have numerous vintage Gillettes, a decent brush (tweezerman) and several soaps and creams recommended in this forum - Arko and C O Bigelow among them. Problem is technique I suppose.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yea, the first few months can be a "wandering in the wilderness" feeling. Are you re-wetting your skin in between each pass? What's you beard and skin type and what razor and blade do you use most often? 5-6 bleeders has gotta hurt.

Conrad1959 likes this.
  6. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I do wet my face between passes. My skin is super sensitive and my beard probably average in toughness. So far, I have used only Gillettes: Blue Tip SS, Late 1940s SS, Fat Boy #3 setting, Long handled black Adjustable #3 setting and a 1950s English Rocket. (I have collected razors for years but haven't used them). The blades I have used are NOS Gillette Super Blue Blades along with generic platinum blades from the drug store. I was thinking of ordering the sampler blade package from Joanna. Any suggestions? Thanks.

7. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

While I can't say that I have used any NOS blades, I have used the generic drug store blades with OK results. That was after I had lots of time to refine my technique though. I would say a blade sampler would be a stellar idea. I'm on my second sampler, and I've been at this for a year and a half now I think, though it seems longer for some reason. I'm pretty sure I have tried over 20 types of blades, and I have more that I have not even tried, and more on the way. RBAD? :p

Edit: I didn't see the suggestions part of your post. I have lots of those, but a lot of them, YMMV.

Astra SP
    Shark Super Chrome
    Personna Reds
    Polsilvers or Iridiums (or not, they are discontinued)
    Rapira/Ladas/Voskhod (Lots of people here like the Voskhods)
    Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black, Blue, Green, Yellow)

I have plenty more as well, but those are ones that I have really liked, sort of in the order that I have tried.

Feathers were in there towards the beginning (Black, and Yellow) and I like them, but find they are finicky for me. I have no problem getting a good shave out of one, but sometimes it takes a bit more concentration/touchups. I prefer the 7 O'Clock Yellows.

Hope this helps!

Conrad1959 likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Active Member

My eclipse red ring is selling tonight so just going to have a shave with it . ps nice pic