SoS: January 23rd ~ January 29th, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Dridecker, Jan 22, 2012.

1. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Had a really nice shave today trying out my first Merkur blade in my new Merkur 41c razor. I was a little hesitant at first because I've read many reviews likening them to shaving with a rusty shovel, or some such like. I found the blade to be nice and sharp, quite smooth, with neither a nick nor a scrape! Oh, and the La Toja stick is AMAZING!

Brush: Vie-Long "Bombito" boar
    Razor: Merkur 41C "1904" open-comb
    Blade: Merkur stainless, 1
    Soap: La Toja stick
    Toner: Thayer's Rose Petal
    Finish: Malizia Uomo Vetyver AS with a touch of Prep for moisture and a nice cooling sinsation! Ahhh!

vanm66, scott wein, DLreno and 9 others like this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That's why we all recommend samplers, they may have bad reviews but Merkur blades could work for people. I'm one of those who have nothing bad to say about them other than the price. :)

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Saturday, January 28, 2012
    1. Prep: Hot shower; Yardley bath bar
    2. Coffee: Locally roasted Sumatran w/ cream
    3. Lather: RazoRock XXX - face lather
    4. Brush: Semogue 1250
    5. Razor: Merkur Classic (33C)
    6. Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Yellows (2); 2 passes
    7. Post: Cold water rinse; Aqua Velva; Kiehl's Balm
    The plan was a quick 2-pass shave this morning but things kinda went off track. I got in a slight rush & for some reason went ATG on my first pass. I thought my stubble was short enough but now my face is telling me different. The shave was fairly close but definitely at the expense of my face. The extra pass & touch ups don't require that much more time so once you've started just plan on doing the job right rather than cutting corners. Lesson learned.

Shave Rating - Passable. God Bless!

4. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Fourth shave with the "12"
    Quick shower
    TSD Bay rum
    My little walnut 20mm silvertip "travel" brush
    1912 Gem + Personna SS
    C & E Sienna (gotta get more variety LOL)

For sure DFS almost there with the BBS! This is the best shave I can remember, not withstanding that I can not remember what I had for breakfast. Am really starting to learn how to shave my face, and how to use this fine little razor. Fun fun fun!
    [​IMG]

vanm66, Dridecker, rodd and 16 others like this.
  5. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Saturday:
    OCMM/Ted Pella SS PTFE
    Vie-Long horsehair brush
    Tabac SS
    Ceramic bowl
    Nivea AS lotion

The OCMM razor is my favorite, the Tabac soap is going steady to my personal TOP 3, and the lotion is a newbie in my rotation. Nice combo, smooth and soft shave.

vanm66, scott wein, otherstar and 9 others like this.
  6. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

Blitz 14 :: T&H Wellington superbadger :: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose :: Dr. Harris "Pink" ASL :: Les Parfums de Rosine "Rose d'Homme" EdT

[​IMG]

7. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Sunday,January 29,2012
    Mawwell house coffee
    Hot shower
    MWF soap
    Gillette super speed
    Shark super chrome
    Omega badger
    RR Alum stick
    Proraso AS balm

Well as always the SS gave a fantastic 3 pass BBS shave. A small nic behind the ear? Didnt even feel it.
    Tried to bowl lather the MWF with some odd results. The 1st pass was perfect,the 2nd pass the lather broke down to sudds so I dumped it down the drain and face lathered for the 3rd pass.
    All in all a great sunday shave.
    Little question for the Gillette SS gru-ru's. I have 2 SS's, 1 new to me fresh off the Bay and 1 that is on loan from my Dad. The 1 off ebay is an older 1950's all "silver" flare tip and my Dad's is a maybe late 1960 to early 70's black handle silver flare tip. The newer black handle seems ALOT more aggressive. I've read that Gillette super speeds have different levels off aggressivness depending on the year and color of the flare tip. Is this true? It seems to be from the feed back I'm getting from the razors.

8. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Sunday, January 29, 2012
    1. Prep: Hot shower; Yardley bath bar
    2. Coffee: Locally roasted Sumatran w/ cream
    3. Lather: MWF - face lather
    4. Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2
    5. Razor: Gem OCMM
    6. Blade: Gem PTFE SS (1); 3 passes
    7. Post: Cold water rinse; Aqua Velva; Kiehl's Balm
    Back to my trusty OCMM. What a nice shave this morning with the SE gliding through the Fat.

Shave Rating - Splendid. God Bless!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The Blue Tip was/is the mildest, Black middle of the road, and the Red Tip the more aggressive of the three colored tips.
    More great SS info here and here.

scott wein, alpla444 and fatkid like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sunday

Prep: 30 minute marinade with TSD ISZ PSB, hot shower
    CD: Traditional Christian Hits ~ Various artists
    Coffee: Home roasted, fresh ground Ethiopia Illubabor, BLACK
    Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
    Brush: C&E Pure Badger
    Razor: Gem Jr. Lather Catcher
    Blade: Gem, day 5, 3+ passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, L'Oreal Comfort Max ASB + 2 drops TSD M Bomb, B&BW Noir

Shave Rating: 5 Blades

The traditional hymns are okay once in a while. Songs like How Great Thou Art, Old Rugged Cross and Blessed Assurance are just so deep in truths that you gotta bring 'em out every now and then!

vanm66, otherstar, Asd and 9 others like this.
  11. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

The shave kit after the shave:

1-29 shave.jpg

What a Jam...What a Shave

Yesterday's jam was the best ever. What a blast. I'm on no sleep, so I decided to take a shower...and a shave!

And what a shave. It's weird; the 11 C and the 37 C have the same handle, but I only choke up on the 37 C

Vitos as pre and post
    Omega 80005
    Gillette Dark Blue (2)
    RazoRock Caprician Lemon
    Merkur 11 C Open Comb
    Humphreys Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Clubman Original

A great three pass shave, thoroughly enjoyable. I am becoming a big fan of RazoRock.

dinatali, vanm66, Dridecker and 17 others like this.
  12. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

those and 7 o'clock yellow, blue. and black in the den.
    The 7am's are a brand to it's own. I have all four blades in the den. PM me your addy and I will get some out to you

alpla444 likes this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

IMG_0544_1.JPG visal.jpg Sunday:

Omega Wooden Handle
    Super Speed/7 AM day 2
    Gada Cool Mint SC :love029: :love029: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Visal AS Gel :love029: :love029: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Azzaro Pour Homme EDT

This morning, my shaving experience took me to Lebanon and to Italy - the Gada Cool Mint is a cheap, but fantastic Lebanese cream with a nice minty/lemony scent, so much menthol and rich lather, and very moisturizing and soothing. The Visal gel is from Italy, and it not only smells nice and soothes well, it's absolutely frigid on the skin. This was a wonderful, relaxing, and face-freezing shave! ;) :D

14. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Saturday, Late Morning, shortly after getting up :p

Pre: Hot Shower, KMF Vanilla Mint
    Razor: Merkur 23c
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (2)
    Cream: Speick
    Brush: Omega Boar

'twas an Excellent shave, I would say BBS, but there were 2 spots with some remaining stubble. Overall very nice. Was my first time using Speick, and I sure do like it.

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Sunday:

Pre Shave Barbasol
    Dovo Natural
    The Dridecker
    Old Spice Original
    Alum Block
    Witch Hazel
    Afta Fresh Balm
    British Sterling Cologne

There was a thread on SRP that had the OP using Barbasol as a Pre Shave, and said that the Stearic Acid is one of the best beard softeners around. I'll be playing with it this week since I've had a can under the sink forever it seems. I think it did help but I also touched up the razor on the Swaty so I'll know more as the week progresses.
    :happy108::happy036:

16. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Sunday, January 29, 2012. Good Morning!

Morning Coffee: Hills Brothers Original Blend
    Prep: Wash face with Musgo Real Glyce Lime
    Razor: Schick G1
    Blade: Schick
    Soap: MWF
    Brush: Duke 2
    Scuttle: Dirty Bird 1.5

Photo1078.jpg

dinatali, vanm66, Dridecker and 14 others like this.
  17. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Sunday morning, January 29, 2012

Schick I2 Hydro-magic w/ Schick Blade (2)
    Omega 10066 Boar Bristle Brush,
    MWF shaving soap w/ warm water lather,
    finish w/ cold water rinse for a DFS!

MWF I2 9.JPG

The Schick I2 Hydro-magic gives an outstanding shave!

dinatali, Bird Lives, vanm66 and 15 others like this.
  18. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Not dead! Got some personal time for laundry, haircut what-have-you.
    In Maryland (good lord, Im on the ocean but haven't seen it). Probably be here for a couple more months. Lots of interesting folks keep showing up an the crowd grows. So far I'm the dumbest by far but I have hope.:D

Simpson
    MWF
    Merkur (Travel set)
    Stetson - Being here in the uncivilized north east, got to represent!

DSCN1782a.jpg

dinatali, vanm66, Dridecker and 16 others like this.
  19. Alebrewer

Alebrewer Active Member

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Been on the shaving forums since September and wet/DE shaving everyday since, but have never posted a shave...
    New Year's Day I vowed to post some shaves, so here we go!

Yesterday from Phil @ BlueGoose, I received a sample of his Portman Square English Style Cream, made by a different company than who does his soaps. It's more like a "croap" than a cream, and I tried the Orange Vetiver this morning.

Prep: Hot shower
    Soap/cream: Portman Square English Style Cream - Orange Vetiver
    Brush: Omega 10066
    Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable I-2 birth year/quarter, (5)
    Blade: Lord Platinum (2)
    Cold water rinse
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Superior 70 Bay Rum

Put an almond-size dollop in the lather bowl, an used the 10066 damp, not wet. This croap seems to use less water than the creams I've used, which all seem to be thirsty. The lather also seemed thinner, so next time I'll try a softer brush and face lather it. The scent, to me, is like orange/vanilla cream - I didn't detect any vetiver. Nice scent for spring, would also be nice in the summer in cooler climates.

I did a 3 pass shave - WTG, XTG, and ATG which is my usual. Glide/slip was very good, cushion could be better, but should improve on my next shave when I get a better lather from it by face lathering with a softer brush. I like the slickness it left on my face for touch-ups, probably due to the Shea Butter & Lanolin it contains. Waited a while to post this so I could see if my face didn't agree with it, but so far, so good!

Face: BBS
    Neck: DFS

20. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Sunday

Gillette Super Adjustable
    Shark day 2
    D.R. Harris best badger brush
    TOBS Sandalwood SS
    TSD M bomb (2)
    TSD Iced Eucalyptus Witch Hazel
    Musgo Real splash

sunday1.jpg

Yesterday my brother PIF’d me a brush (story behind it is somewhere in the haul thread of this week). Of course I had to try it this morning. It felt very strange at first: for the last 5 years I used the small Vulfix travel brush, very much lighter and smaller. For comparison I’ve put both brushes in the picture. The Harris brush feels very nice while face lathering, but I have to reinvent my routine in terms of how dry the brush should be at start, how much water is added, and so on. But I think I’m going to like this one.
    DF mentholated sandalwood S by the way.