SoS: July 17, 2017 - July 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Mongoose AlumiGoose w/ iKon Bamboo
    Blade: Feather Professional (4)
    Brush: Oscar 11, w/TGN Silvertip
    Soap: RazoRock Don Donato
    A/S: RazoRock Don Donato

Didn't shave yesterday. Got home a little late. A DFS today.
    23 07 17.jpg

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very beautiful scenery and shave Douglas.

clint64, ram57 and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you very much Joseph.

clint64, ram57 and Primotenore like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great set up for your picture, Doug! :happy096:

I really enjoy the Don Donato SS, sounds like a terrific shave.

Douglas Carey, clint64 and ram57 like this.
  5. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Jim

Norcalnewb, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  6. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Great shot Doug!

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jim.

ram57, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Guy.

ram57 and clint64 like this.
  9. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Schick Type M Injector
    Schick blade
    Maggards black synthetic brush
    Proraso Blue shaving cream
    Family Dollar Spice aftershave

SpeedyPC, mrchick, jimjo1031 and 9 others like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. Good stuff.

ram57, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Breathtaking scene!

ram57, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Matt.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

ram57 and clint64 like this.
  13. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Lather Bros. Soaps "Miami Mojito"
    Island Bladeworks "Stoya" | Elite Razor Manchurian
    Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE (1)

[​IMG]

This one took me by surprise. After having just used Lather Bros' latest, Flora Colossus, which was slightly improved beyond an already nice performer, El Barbero, I expected Miami Mojito to perform similarly. The surprise is that it feels like it's a generation ahead of the other two. I wasn't aware of a base formula being changed. In fact, Flora Colossus is the latest release, so I would expect it to be the latest base. However, when I compared the ingredients list for the two, I noticed pineapple puree in Miami Mojito, and it's not listed in Flora Colossus. I therefore checked their website, and I saw that "Life's a Beach" contains mango puree. Thus apparently the artisan varies the base, which is nothing new, but I noticed a clear performance boost with this one. I wonder if the pineapple added enough citric acid to overcome the limitations of my hard water. (Yes, I know adding a little citric acid to my reserve water could accomplish the same thing, but with the top artisans, I don't need to do this.) Whatever the case, Miami Mojito is not only above average like its relatives, but it actually is competitive with my favorite top artisans. The lather characteristic was quite creamy and dense. Glide was perfect, and residual slickness was also on a superior level allowing me to make touch-up passes without visible lather. Finally, post-shave was comparable to Jeeves and Catie's---in other words, stellar.

I've never had a Mojito cocktail---Miami or otherwise---so I have no idea if this smells even remotely similar, but the notes are mint, lime, and basil. Gourmands aren't always my favorite, the exception being that I tend to be drawn to anything with lime. That said, Miami Mojito doesn't broadcast the lime right away. Instead, I picked up on the basil initially, and the mint wasn't far behind. By the time I had a usable lather, the lime made a clear presence, but it never took the lead. As the shave progressed, it got sharper and bolder. Of the three soaps by Lather Bros. I've used, Miami Mojito by far has the strongest scent. I would rate it a 4+ out of 5 with regard to scent strength. Again, I was really surprised by this fragrance. I absolutely love it.

As previously stated, the post-shave was outstanding and precluded the actual need for any post product, but I was certainly inclined to use Lather Bros' new alcohol-based, mentholated splash. Back in the Winter, with my first review of Lather Bros., I used El Barbero with its paired splash. I had to correct my initial review because I erroneously called it "alcohol-free". An astute reader noted the ingredients indeed mentioned alcohol, but I had assumed it was alcohol-free in light of the inhomogeneous nature and my inability to detect it otherwise. As it was, the amount of alcohol was minimal in this early splash. Hopefully, Lather Bros' move with Miami Mojito and the obvious higher alcohol ratio is a change that they'll continue to implement. Additionally, the splash comes in the flask-style glass bottle. This splash felt great with immediate cooling and an overall impression similar to the late Folsom & Co. splashes. The lime carried much better in the splash such that it was the dominant note, and the mint was accentuated by the menthol. The drydown revealed the basil as the mint left the scene. Lime was still present, but it was mellowed greatly by the basil. 4 hours later, I continue to enjoy this pleasant fragrance.

Lather Bros. is now a permanent part of my rotation. El Barbero was an above average freshman performer, but the "barbershop" fragrance was nothing special. Flora Colossus boosted performance and is a lovely fragrance. (Admittedly, I'm partial to Flora Colossus due to the Groot comic character homage.) Miami Mojito is a clear performance spike, and that alone is reason enough to use it routinely.

Smooth Steve, ilts, SpeedyPC and 9 others like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great write up Matt.

ram57, clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July - Time to straighten up!

July 22

Razor -Gold Dollar 800
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

Thought I'd give the Gold Dollar 800 straight a run tonight. I haven't used this razor much. It's a 6/8 hollow grind and heavier than the Rabbit by quite a bit. I know the Gold Dollar isn't exactly the best in the world but I have gotten some decent shaves in the past. The price was right and, if properly honed, it's not bad.

Stropped it to get ready, whipped up a fine Soap Commander lather with the Wolf brush and went to work. And, I do believe I may have rolled the edge. At least to some extent. Either that or I've just forgotten how much different this razor shaves than the Rabbit, the pain sticks and everything else. I got through the first pass and switched to the Rabbit for the second and third. Much smoother and better result. I'm betting on the rolled edge. I probably won't get it honed again anytime soon as I have another vintage straight I've never had honed. It's a Giesen-Forsthoff that is in good shape and needs to be put back into service. I'll spend my money on that on and not the Gold Dollar at the moment.

Final result was a very nice DFS with no blood or other issues. I'll give the credit to the Rabbit for the finish, but at least the Gold Dollar got me started.

[​IMG]