SoS: July 17, 2017 - July 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

2. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Believe it or not, it was NOS when I got it. Have the mailer too. Thank you Tim.

4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Hectic day at work. But a nice, calming evening shave. The Sabre performed marvelously again and the RR Beehive 28mm synthetic made some serious lather. 3 pass BBS, relaxed and refreshed. Have a great evening and shaves Gents.... ;)

Razor: Blackland Sabre
    Blade: GEM SS PTFE #8
    Brush: RR Beehive 28mm
    Soap: SC Musk
    Astringent: DG/Body
    Toner: Manetti & Roberts
    W/H: Humphreys Citrus
    A/S Splash: Murray & Lanman Florida Water
    IMG_0952.JPG

jimjo1031, RyX, poppi and 17 others like this.
  5. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Amazing pic......:happy088:

clint64, ram57 and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

Yes - I have that, but I like Pixlr and Fotor or edits -- I am just so used to photo bucket - I did not know you could use dropbox for 3rd party hosting - i.e. forums, ebay, etc ? interesting - seems photobucket had some network slowness last night and this morning? seems ok now... I will try drop box some day

clint64, mrchick and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

Jamie's Night Shave
    Menthol Monday - 7/17/17

1. Hot Shower.
    2. Stirling Eskimo Tuxedo Soap
    3. Whipped Dog 30 mm Standard Loft - Silver Tip badger brush from Larry
    4. Custom DE Razor from MAC Metal Works / Aluminum & light "Fatso" handle. Amazing Razor!
    5. KAI Blade (2)
    6. Alum
    7. MENNEN II - Green Tonic [European import]
    8. Stirling GLACIAL unscented after shave bomb
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, RyX, poppi and 17 others like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

His company is very close to where I live. There are rumors of a re-opening.

clint64, ram57 and mrchick like this.
  9. ram57

That's great news!

10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

07/18/17 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
    Sterling Soap Company Coniferous Shave Soap
    RazoRock 400 Butterscotch 24 x 57mm Synthetic Noir Plissoft Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    OneBlade Razor Model 2.0 “Genesis”
    Feather FHS-10 Hi-Stainless Blade - 5th Shave
    RazoRock Alum Stick
    Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
    Booster Mosswood Aftershave
    NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm

D IMG_6255.jpg

jimjo1031, RyX, poppi and 16 others like this.
  11. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Very cool picture as always!
    Steve

clint64, Douglas Carey and ram57 like this.
  12. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Ariana & Evans - Khalifa
    Island Bladeworks "Stoya" | Elite Razor Manchurian
    Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE (1)

[​IMG]

This is technically my second use of Khalifa. The first go, I fought the lather a bit. I was expecting a true cream as Peter had initially described it. The consistency is a bit more firm than a cream. "Dipping" the brush tips in the tub didn't pick up any product. That initial shave wasn't ideal simply because of the frustrating load and not meeting my expectations. I admit, I'm so absolutely spoiled by top artisans' products excelling on every level that even a small matter like loading expectations can detract from an otherwise good product. I didn't want to paint a negative picture, because once I had the lather straightened out, I had a spectacular shave. I'd resolved to revisit it, approaching it as a soft croap. The consistency is like RazoRock's Santa Maria del Fiore or some of Dr. Jon's early soaps.

Treating this product like any other soft croap by gently loading with a damp knot yielded much more predictable results, and henceforth an ideal experience. In fact, the build was intuitive and provided a dense slick luxurious lather. Residual slickness was above average and post-shave was spectacular, rivaling my top 5.

Khalifi's fragrance is an unmistakable smoky, resin and crushed green cannabis mitigated by spicy vanilla and agarwood. It descends into a darker, syrupy accord towards the end of the shave with hints of toffee.

The aftershave comes in a heavy glass pump bottle that delivers an even light mist. Some may choose to spray it into their hands and apply. As a head and face shaver, I give it one full direct pump to the top of my head and use my hands to distribute over my head and face. A single pump delivers an adequate amount. Other than the delivery method, the feel from the aftershave doesn't stand apart from other alcohol-based splashes. While the soap's post-shave will probably preclude the actual need for post product for most skin, the fragrance is the real reason to use it. Thankfully, the aftershave fragrance has the same notes, but is less cannabinoid and more non-descript resin, oud, vanilla, and incense. However, I did not detect coffee from the spray but it may well be lost amidst the dizzying array of sinfully dark notes. The drydown sustains the dark, syrupy incense abandoning the hashish after about an hour. After having used this twice, I note the splash's fragrance duration is fairly brief at about 3-4 hours. I assume this is by design, thus encouraging me to drop some coin on the Black Afgano extrait that influenced Khalifa.

I'm a sucker for packaging, and the Diamond tier exclusive presentation of Khalifa looks classy even if it is impractical. The glass urn is just a showpiece that many of us will set aside. The plastic tub slips down inside and stops about one-third of the way before the slight taper of the interior of the urn stops it, and it easily gets stuck, so I won't even be storing the puck in the urn. While I’m happy with my purchase, I do look forward to using more of this A&E croap base in a more traditional sized jar. It should go without saving, Khalifa's fragrance will not be for everyone, but assuming this base is used throughout A&E's line, wet shavers wanting high-level product need only pick their flavor and enjoy.

Jayaruh, jimjo1031, RyX and 17 others like this.
  13. ram57

Thanks Steve, it was a refreshing shave this morning. How are you like the Oneblade/Genesis?

14. ram57

Sweet pic, love the Streamline

Douglas Carey, clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  15. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thank you. It's my favorite razor.

Douglas Carey, clint64 and ram57 like this.
  16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Another great shave for the week using one of my favorite soaps!
    Razor: Edwin Jager DE89
    Blade: Shark SS second shave
    Brush: My new favorite the JR191 B&W maggards Synthetic
    Soap: Contender for my favorite Barrister and Mann Seville

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Kaladin

Kaladin Active Member

Today I shaved with my Rockwell 6C, first pass on the "4" setting and subsequent pass on "2."
    I'm normally an Astra SP guy, but I went back to my blade sampler and had in a Personna blue.
    I lathered up with Proraso white - I wasn't certain of this soap because it isn't as slick as I like, but it's been working well.
    I finished off the shave with some Chiseled Face Santa Paula Citrus and a little bit of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm for moisture.

It was a great shave, all said!

18. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Tuesday planned SOTD
    [​IMG]

Mongoose razor
    New Forest brush
    B&M Leviathan soap
    B&M Leviathan aftershave

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2017 - Time to straighten up!

July 17 - Grand Blade Trials [​IMG] Special Edition!!

Razor - Feather SS
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Stirling Barbershop
    Brush - WCS Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Good grief! How slick can a lather get?!?! I used a bit of extra water with the Stirling tonight and could barely hold the brush when the lather got down on the handle. Seriously - had to rinse my hands and dry them to even have a chance of holding onto the pain stick. Stirling - you outdid yourself on that one!

The Schick P-30 provided another pretty nice shave tonight, though I hesitate to call it a great shave. I have to say, the lack of sharpness compared to a Feather or Kai blade seemed to show up more tonight. Even on an uber-slick surface I could feel a bit of drag and the irritation level was up according to the alum. Two passes without any extra work for a DFS but it seems a little warm for what I did and how I did it. I've read a couple of reviews on this blade on other forums and seen some comments that it lacks stamina over the long haul. I'll continue with it tomorrow to make sure but my gut (and face) tell me this blade lacks in the durability department. Of course, it wasn't really designed for shaving like we do with the pain stick, so it's hard to be too upset. I'll also switch to the Kai razor to see if there's any difference.

A day off tomorrow. One day weekend, here I come!

[​IMG]

Neal

20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Date: 18 July 2017

Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
    Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
    Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
    Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #6
    Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
    Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT