SoS: June 30, 2014 - July 6, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Bob, I can't say with 100% certainty but I think it's a 25mm HIS. If it is, I disliked it originally but apparently didn't shorten the loft up enough because it performed very well at 50mm.

2. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

It is a custom blend I had Amanda make for me and I would have to say it is equal to Frozen Tundra & MITA on the face with the first and 2nd pass but on the final rinse off, would say both FT & MITA feel little cooler but not by much.

3. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SoS - Saturday, July 5, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Tea Tree & Lime PSO
    Brush: Simpsons Duke 3
    Soap: Stirling Grapefruit
    Razor: EJ DE89L
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
    Aftershave: Speick

2 pass, CCS today.

- Don

dscaver, crackstar, ObiDon and 21 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    sod140706.jpg

Noxzema Classic Clean
    Kiss My Face Cool Mint moisture shave
    VDH Natural Boar
    J.M. Schmid & Son 6/8 str8
    Schick M Adjustable
    Schick Injector Stainless Blade
    CWR
    Thayers Cucumber WH
    Mennen SB AS

My strop came in yesterday, so today I stropped the J.M. Schmid (thanks again to @lindyhopper66 for getting me started with straights). The Kiss My Face Cool Mint moisture shave face lathered well with the VDH Natural Boar. I used the str8 on my cheeks and finished everything else with two passes of the Schick M adjustable and Schick blade. It was a mighty fine shave. I finished off with a cold water rinse followed by Thayers Cucumber WH and Mennen Skin Bracer after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Razor: Wester Bros no 16 1/4 hollow + Ever Ready 1924
    Blade: GEM
    Brush: Muhle Black Fiber Synthethic
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Thanks to @lindyhopper66 I got to try straight shaving as I was one of the lucky winners of his recent PIF. So this is my first straight shave ever. I started with the straight and only did my sideburns with it as Lynn Abrams recommends in his video for newbies. Well it wasn't as scary as I thought at least after getting the feel to the razor. The tough part is gaining confidence. No cuts or irritation. The blade feel is very similar to my Ever Ready- only of course sharper. I could not get an SE or DE blade to pass the hanging hair test. Even after holding a hair under tension they refused to cut until a fair amount of pressure was applied. This straight razor easily passed the hanging hair test.

I finished up with my ER. WTG only as I want to leave something behind to practice some more tomorrow.
    DSC00015_Fotor.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    dscaver, TSimons, crackstar and 19 others like this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm glad it is working out for you Ryan B. It is my favorite razor by far- so aggressive yet so smooth. 1 pass WTG is all I need for a DFS shave or ATG for an almost guaranteed BBS.

crackstar, Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I think I'm getting hooked on SE shaving more than I was with DE. There is just something about this ER that has me wanting to figure it out.

crackstar, Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Slow & steady. Once you'll get comfortable using the blade, you'll find your confidence will increase as well. After a few shaves, the whole cutthroat 'aura' gets demystified a bit and you realize, "hey, I can do this…"—but still one learns also to always respect the razor. :happy088: It will take some time however before you reach the level of comfort & closeness you achieve with the SE.

crackstar, Llyr, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thanks for the info, Guy. MITA for me tomorrow. :)

Llyr, RaZorBurn123, Bobcat and 2 others like this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Frozen Tundra for me :D

11. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Razor Filarmonica 14 Novodur Para Professional half hollow 8/8
    Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
    Brush Semogue OC Special 2012 Boar & Badger mix
    Soap L'Occitane Cade
    Alum & Witch hazel
    Balm L'Occitane Baux
    Scent L'Occitane Eau Universelle Fresh Cologne.

[​IMG]

dscaver, TSimons, figment714 and 17 others like this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Shave That's Planned for Sunday 06Jul14 :

• Shower & Pre-Shave:
    Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
    Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo - Extra Strength
    Stirling Soap Co. Tea Tree Bath Soap
    Stirling Coniferous Pre-Shave Oil
    Wet Face Towel Soaked in "Ice Cold Water"
    • Deodorants :
    Mennen Speed Stick
    • Razor & Razor Blades & Standby Razor:
    Weber 3pc. 85mm. W/Classic Handle
    Wilkinson Sword DE Blades
    Schick Xtereme 3 Disposable

• Shaving Mug & Shaving Soap & Brush:
    Arletta Mug II (Cobalt Blue Mug that my daughter had)
    Stirling Soap Co. Stirling Coniferous

• After Shave Balm:
    RazoRock Ultimate Aftershave
    • After Shave:
    Stirling Soap Co. Coniferous

L to R Back; Row Stirling Coniferous PSO ; Arletta's Mug II (Daughter's Cobalt-Blue Mug ) : Stirling Coniferous A/S
    L to R Front Row; "Old Corps"& "Oscar 11" Custom 28/65mm TGN Finest Badger F-2 Knot Resin Handle Brush
    Weber 3pc. S/S Polished Head 85mm Classic Handle ;Schick Xtereme 3 Disposable ; RazoRock Ultimate Aftershave
    [​IMG]
    This is the procedure that I used earlier today Saturday 05Jul14. WTG-XTG-ATG, Being as my Shave on Friday and Saturday were both DFS .aka a"Rudy Castiel Clean Shave"!! Why change the procedure? I did 3 passes. I did use the Schick Extreme 3 Razor, for a little touch-up on my lower neck and around my lower lip.. I am going to repeat the same process on Sunday late morning, or maybe early evening. I just realized my Arletta II Shaving Mug is getting low on Coniferous Shaving Soap, and with "No-Buy July Pledge" in place, I guess I will load it with maybe Glacial Spearmint or Glacial Obsidian. We will have to wait and see.

dscaver, TSimons, ObiDon and 16 others like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Times Two great brush!

Llyr and crackstar like this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sunday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Sharp day 7
    Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Avalon Organics Peppermint Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing: :smiley freezing:
    Mennen Skin Bracer AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055::Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

Certainly no complaints about this shave because it was so BBS and comfortable, but the Sharp blade is ready for the trash can. The MITA soap lathered tremendously for me and gave me its awesome freeze with perfect post-shave care. I highly recommend the Avalon Organics Peppermint lotion for anyone who has sensitive skin - it smells nice and doesn't conflict with an aftershave or fragrance, and it's quite cooling. The Skin Bracer felt icy and wonderful afterwards. ;) :D

dscaver, TSimons, figment714 and 15 others like this.
  15. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hey Friends,

this shave was not the best i had...honestly it was one of the badest i had...my skin was red and irritated from the first stroke on. It burned like fire while shaving...don´t know if it has been the equipment that doesn´t worked together. But it has something positive...the next shave can only be better. ;) Here is my Sunday shave with my all new Bismarck 6/8 Straight Razor:

-Prep 1: hot shower
    -Prep 2: extra virgen Oliveoil with hot towel
    -Soap: Jabonman Vetiver Mandarin Litsea Cubeba
    -Brush: Semogue "Barbear Classico" Texugo
    -Straight: Bismarck 6/8
    -Aftershave: Floid "The Genuine"

[​IMG]

The straight razor is very good. Sharp and gentle at the same time. Seems that i did a good buy. The Floid Aftershave cools my "Burning sensation" down a bit now and later i will put on some Aftershave Balm. Things will hopefully getting better than.

Have a great time and take care of you.

Greetings
    Thorsten​

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    dscaver, TSimons, ObiDon and 16 others like this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

oscar11-Thanks for the feedback on the knot

Sunday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Bath Soap
    Soap: Maggard Limes & Bergamot
    Razor: Gillette Slim [6]
    Blade: ASCO Super Stainless Red Box (1)
    Brush: oscar11 TGN 2-Band Finest 24mmx50mm
    Aftershave: Grey Flannel

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

My first ASCO Red Box blade. I loaded one in the Slim and lathered up with the L&B using my oscar11 brush. The Asco delivered up a nice close, smooth, and nick free shave. It is not as sharp as my regulars, but at almost half the cost, I didn’t expect it to be. So far, so good. I will see how it holds an edge. I finished up with Grey Flannel.

Bob

[​IMG]

dscaver, TSimons, figment714 and 16 others like this.
  17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Sunday:

Prep: Hot shower, TSD Jasmine Sambac Preshave balm
    Brush: Beeline Boar
    Soap: Ginger's Garden Coffee Jasmine
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (4)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (7, 8)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Aqua Velva Ice Blue Classic

Four days in, and the Bic is still going strong. Apparently, the lessons I learned lathering the One-X translated well to this soap from Irena - which, if memory serves, also has tallow - as my lather was extremely rich and creamy today, making the overall shave so enjoyable that I nearly went for the ATG pass, only stopping because I would be more tempted to skip a day if I got truly BBS results, rather than the DFS+ results of the day.

dscaver, TSimons, figment714 and 16 others like this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

19. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Prep: Warm shower, Cetaphil Lotion
    Razor: EJ DE89 Head w/ Weber Classic Handle
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
    Lather: L.A. Shaving Bespoke #1
    Brush: Oscar11 w/ Omega 20248 Knot
    Aftershave: Old Spice

After a "No Shave Saturday," I had a near perfect shave today.

Have a great day!

20. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Sunday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Cella Extra Extra Purissima & suribachi
    Brush - Omega 40033
    Razor - Gillette Single Ring
    Blade - Feather (7)

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

:eatdrink013:

LifesShort, dscaver, TSimons and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.