SoS; March 2018

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Queen of Blades, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Catie's Bubbles - A Midnight Dreary
    Zenith XXL Manchurian
    Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

I was drawn to "A Midnight Dreary" by the name alone. Any Poe reference gets my attention, and I assume there will be some alluring darkness to be had from said fragrance. This isn't a new offering from Catie's Bubbles, but one that's eluded me for a while in that when I casually shop their site, the set's been unavailable. The timing was apparently right last week when I dropped by to order "Dusk" (an outstanding set that I used earlier this week), AMD was again available. Not being much into florals or sweet fragrances, I still hesitated, but the inclusion of sandalwood, amber, and vetiver gave me hope that this fragrance would be to my liking. It was only after placing my order that I discovered this was an homage to Tom Ford's Black Orchid EdP. Not having a clue about Black Orchid, I was unfazed. That was until I read up on it and discovered it was at least at one point marketed as a women's fragrance. At that point, I'd resigned myself to begrudgingly giving it a chance, but then probably passing it on.

As soon as the warm, damp knot encounters "A Midnight Dreary", sweet, but dark florals pour in. Not a deal breaker. This is initially sweeter than my tastes as far as a wearable fragrance, but definitely something with which I want more time to explore. This semisweet floral accord persists at this state throughout the leisurely lathering process. I drag my feet a bit, because of the surprisingly seductive nature of the fragrance. As the shave progresses, it descends into darkness as a rich merlot swells to the musty gnarled rafters. The overall accord gets richer and thicker with overripe fruit countered by eerie musky and resinous notes. The shave is over far too soon.

Fortunately the paired splash unfolds similarly, but it rushes past the sweet florals and moves right to the dry red wine. I'll have to revisit the soap to see if I missed it, but a hint baker's cocoa seems to briefly make a showing. On this rainy cool day, AMD only lasted about 4-5 hours, but the last couple hours were very nice warm rich notes suggesting smoldering incense and finally labdanum and vanilla.

A Midnight Dreary took me off guard. On paper, this one shouldn't be in my wheelhouse, but it's just dark and bloody enough that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been guilty of judging a book by its cover, but henceforth? Nevermore.

2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Nice. Great to see some Michigan. Reminds me of my old stomping grounds in Flint - just too bad about the water.
    Steve

Douglas Carey, clint64 and Tdmsu like this.
  3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

29 March 2018

* Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band Black
    * Mystic Water Lavender/Lime
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

brit, jtspartan, sdguero and 21 others like this.
  4. Smooth Steve

Thanks Celestino. Tomorrow is the Tiger's opening day. I went last year - first time to an opening day for any team, and wound up at a friends birthday party bonfire at night celebrating with some fine cigars and libations. I'm really a Yankee fan from Jersey but when in Rome, have fun with the Romans. It's all good. Detroit is a fun place and has really turned around. The new stadium is great, but the old Tigers stadium does bring back some fond memories. One of these days I will need to go to the New Yankee Stadium but haven't made it yet. I took my boys to the House that Ruth built for the last season, and toured the old monument park. The boys were amazed watching Jaba warm up and seeing him so close hurl the ball. Great memories and good times. Cheers my friend!
    Steve

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Single Pass Evening Head Shave: New Deluxe/BIC (1). Quite a first impression, very efficient. Might have the edge on my New Improved.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit, jtspartan, sdguero and 21 others like this.
  6. Smooth Steve

AMD sounds very intriguing, but honestly you could probably make mud sound mythical with your fantastic write ups. Wait I do like PAA dirt, so maybe mud isn't a good example for me! What do I know? Excellent post.
    Steve

7. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment. I did, somewhat intentionally, lay that one on a bit thick. But I stand by my assessment. While it starts off sweet, it is indeed a rich, dark floral with merlot/black currant elements.

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I think I am in love...
    Yup, double checked, I am. :love055:
    Great razor design by a great artisan! Thanks for sharing.

jimjo1031, clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
  9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Joining Herder Wednesday...
    Razor: F Herder 77
    Brush: Corvette (C3) shift knob synthetic
    Soap: Proraso Red
    A/S: Country Club 1837
    71E1B3AA-ECEF-451D-A4D3-2A095BC841F4.jpeg
    So do 2 Herders qualify as a herd of Herders??? :)
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom.

jtspartan, sdguero, ram57 and 19 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

B C said it best.

sdguero, MR41, Boru62 and 7 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 03282018 TOBS Wilkinson Sword.gif
    TOBS Sandalwood cream sample
    Vulfix Vulfix 2235s Super Badger
    Suribachi bowl & cool water
    Ming Shi 2000S at 4-1/2
    Wilkinson Sword blade
    Shulton Old Spice AS

12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 03/29/18

Gem Clog Pruf
    Gem Personna (4)
    VDH Boar
    VDH Luxury
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    Gillette Cool Wave A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF2376.JPG

jtspartan, sdguero, ram57 and 19 others like this.
  13. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20180329.

[​IMG]

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Lea.
    Timeless titanium OC 0.68 mm.
    Lord Cool (6).
    Floïd Black.

14. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thanks! I wish the issue was resolved. Steps have been taken in the right direction.

15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

IMG_20180328_164953_1522270569312-01.jpeg
    Just a superb shave all around. The razor did it's job without effort or drama.
    #reefpoint #sandalwood #WSP #rockwellrazors #drjons

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Rockwell 6s R6
    Blade: Voskhod
    Brush: Brothers Bristles Silver Surfer
    Lather: Reef Point Sandalwood
    Aftershave: Dr. Jon's Defiance
    Additional Care:
    WSP Sandalwood PSO
    https://shavingbuddy2.herokuapp.com/shave/5abcbc0a3939f000042511c4

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice looking razor. :happy088::happy088:

TestDepth and clint64 like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thu. 3/29/18
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good morning friends. Excellent three pass shave today with the Gillette Fatboy fitted with a GSB. Figaro Monsieur is a lather monster. Have a great day friends. ☺️

18. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

This Chapmunk is so soothing and gentle on my skin from the chamomile in it, not to mention the lovely scent and great lather it gives. The Bull Dog moisturizer has a fantastic post-shave sensation also. I've had this Plissoft synthetic for a little over two years which I bought from Italian Barber and I can't seem to want to use any other brush! (what a shave I had today!)

Have a great day my friends!

Edison Carter, sdguero, ilts and 12 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Roby!

Linuxguile, clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

943FF66C-4021-4DCE-9F41-23EFF603B2C6.jpeg

March 29 SOTD:

Razor: CJB Pain Stick
    Blade: Feather AC Professional
    Brush: Frank Shaving Pur-Tech
    Lather: Stirling San Antonio
    Aftershave: Clubman Vanilla
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

Thread Status: