SoS: March 5th, 2012 ~ March 11th, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Dridecker, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

http://www.tv4u.com/show-large-video.asp?cid=23&sid=234&vid=623&t=Super Speed 2&cat=Classic Commercials
    I dreamed about this commercial before waking up this morning, so I just had to take a break from SE week today and give some love to the 'Black Tip Beauty'....See complete shave coverage below:
    Wednesday's Shave
    Hot Shower
    Hot wet towel on face; ala Barber Shave
    Arko Shave Stick/Omega 10029
    1952 Black Tip Super Speed, Steel Handle
    New Perma-Sharp Super
    Arko-Nem moisturizer/Arko Aqua AS splash

Well this razor is the mildest fixed head razor I own...So after the first pass, while I rinsed I notice alot more little sharp whiskers left than I'm used to with either the Senator or my Schick...

But after 4 passes:WTG,2 XTG,ATG and a slight touch-up...I'm as BBS as I can get and left absolutely irritation free and reminded why the Super Speed won the hearts and whiskers of several generations, and is still being copied today....

As Rip Van Winkle say's "Say what a shave, so fast and smooth and so exhilerating"...:happy108:

Attached Files:

2. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Prep: Hot shower followed by trying to make sure I was really awake (up all night with the baby), soak brush in warm water
    Brush: EJ Pure badger
    Razor: EJ DE89L (as some of you may have noticed by now, or not, I only have 1 brush and 1 razor which makes my decisions in the morning very easy. :lyrtuy5:)
    Blade: Personna blue (0)
    Cream: C.O. Bigelow
    Shave: 4 pass + touch-ups (WTG, XTG, ATG, ATG, touch-ups)

This was my first time trying the Pesonnal blue blade. It had very nice audible feedback, even on the first WTG pass which is usually a bit more quiet for me. I was really excited to see how it was performing after each pass because of how loudly it seemed to be slicing through the wiskers. What I found, however, was that after 3 passes I was really not all that close at all. So I went for a 4th pass, and that was the ticket. A few touch-ups later and I had a DFS with no irritation.

3. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

fishcrow, Llyr and Bird Lives like this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Wednesday:

Barbasol Prep
    Dovo Natural
    Omega 81052
    Cella
    Alum Block
    Witch Hazel
    Afta Original
    Old Spice After Shave
    :happy036:
    Used one of my other boars today to try out my new lather technique. It went well but I just like the Pro models better.

5. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

FaTip
    7 O'clock Yellow
    Rooney 3/3
    Mystic Waters Prospect Creek SS
    Nivea Energy A/S 2 drops of M-Bomb

The M-Bomb clumped up or crystallized when I mixed with the Nivea. I have some 444 ASB on the way. Hope it doesn't do the same.

Bond 9 - New Haarlem

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yeah Man....That commercial was the same vintage as the first televised World Series...:)

fishcrow, Llyr and Johnny like this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Jesse, what da think of the MW soap?

fishcrow and Llyr like this.
  8. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Hot Shower (soak brush,Savile Row 3824)
    Proraso PrePost cream
    Mama Bear's Lavender & Peppermint shave stick (face lathered)
    Head: OCMM/Gem Blue Star (5)
    Face: R41 Grande/Red IP (2)
    Cold Water Rinse
    Monster Block Alum (clean brush,razor's,police area)
    Cold Water Rinse
    alcolado Glacial mixed with a pea sized amount of 444

The OCMM is becoming my favorite head shaving razor,so far no weepers or razor burn.A big plus is I rarely need to do touch up's .
    The R41 gave me a great BBS shave,but I did have a little redness on my neck in one spot.This was my fault for going for a ATG pass when I really didnt need it.I was going to stop after my second WTG pass,at that point it was very close to being BBS.I should have probably done either a third WTG pass or stopped.Next time I'll know better.

9. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Randy,

It's a really nice soap. Very slick and cushiony. I am still working with the lather but I am very close to perfecting. The soap smells nice and has a nice cooling effect. Cold be cooler though. A great soap for the price and efficacy! Forgot to mention leaves the skin feeling really nice. Everything I have read about it is spot on.

Best,

Jesse

Llyr, fishcrow and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Todays shave was to say the least...un-eventful. Tried my first Rapira blade ever and am highly disappointed in them.....they are on my $#!+ list along side Astras...tugged so bad on my 2 days growth it even made my Barbasol AS burn which has NEVER burned me and I have used that stuff for almost 2 years now. I am not a believer in trying out a blade for any given time to see if I like them...if im not lucky enough to get a DFS with them on the first try....then that company is not lucky enough to have me as a customer. Thanks to Aaron though for lettin me try a Rapira...at least now I know not to touch em again lol...

+Todays Massacre+ (no nicks just irritation)

Merkur 34c
    Rapira Blade
    Col. Conk 904 Brush
    Mama Bears Dublin Tweed shave stick
    Barbasol Brisk AS

SharpSpine, Llyr, PanChango and 10 others like this.
  11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Wednesday March 7
    Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Gillette 7 o'clock blue
    Proraso Aloe & Green Tea
    Simpsons Berkeley
    Cold Water Rinse
    Brut A/S

As I expected it was a flawless shave. This razor is probably the one that I would forsake all others for. 3 pass BBS, used 3 settings - 3, 5 then 7 for the final ATG pass. No irritation, no tingles, weepers, anything. Just a perfect morning shave. GREAT way to start my first morning in our new house!

[​IMG]

SharpSpine, Llyr, Mechguy and 12 others like this.
  12. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Wednesday morning, March 7, 2012

1912 Gem Damaskeene w/ Gem Blade (2)
    Omega 10005 boar bristle brush,
    MWF shaving soap w/ warm water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

MWF Dam 5.JPG

Damaskeene a bit smoother than the Gem Jr. :)

SharpSpine, Llyr, Mechguy and 11 others like this.
  13. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Wednesday's was a great OCMM
    Hot Shower
    Proraso white shave cream
    Frank's finest
    OCMM w/ GemSS blade
    Cold water rinse
    Booster polar ice
    I was a little worried about using this razor when I first started ,but now I use it without fear.

SharpSpine, Llyr, PanChango and 10 others like this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Wednesday!

• Prep: hot water splash, hot washing cloth
    • Music: Muse, The Resistance
    • Brush: DVH boar :love029: :love029: :love029:
    • Soap: Palmolive shaving cream :love029: :love029:
    • Razor: Gem OCMM
    • Blade: stanley, from the local hardware store (yeah, I know, stooooopid! :happy068: )
    • Shave: 3-pass + touch-up

SoS 2012-03-07.jpg

The cream was delicious again. The shave was not. I'm a dumb ass for wanting to try a utility blade in stead of a real razor blade. Don't get me wrong, the razor is great. The weight and balance are both just my cup of tea. And the shave wasn't rough or agressive at all. But the blade just couldn't cut the hairs. Well, some did end up in the sink, but certainly not all. :) Luckily there wasn't much to shave as yesterdays was so very BBS. :D Guess I'll have to call SE week off until the weekend (Rolls time! ;) ). I will catch up later when I've got me some blades. Tomorrow and friday will be DE days.

See ya!

SharpSpine, Llyr, alpla444 and 10 others like this.
  15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

yes it is an adjustable.

Llyr likes this.
  16. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Wednesday

Same set up all week
    Gold Dollar 66, Tabac Stick, Vie Long Brush, Alum, Old Spice Whitewater

Shave #4 since receiving and honing. A great shave the edge is holding up fine, still feels fresh of the hone no pulling even on the 1st pass with 2 days stubble. Very close, smooth and comfortable.

macaronus, SharpSpine, Llyr and 8 others like this.
  17. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

IMG_1312-1.JPG
    Wednesday's Shower and Shave

Hot shower with a brand new bar of Amber Bath Works "Freckle Face"

Next brush up to the lather plate #3 LuJin Badger to lather a puck of Mystery Brand Soap. Used Steve's "Swarden" patented lathering method makes super duper lather.

Continued with the Gillette Slim Adjustable and Trig combo. Razor dialed into #8, three passes and a few touch-ups

A great shave deserve a stellar finish of polar water splash, Thayer's Witchhazel, and the crowning finish Superior 70.

:wave:were jumping with joy were happy to award this DFS, a solid 10.

macaronus, SharpSpine, Llyr and 9 others like this.
  18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Looks like a "Long Handled Super Adjustable", not a "Slim". :)

macaronus, Llyr and CyanideMetal like this.
  19. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Thank you for the correction in my id.

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You're welcome.
    The Long Handled Super Adjustable is my everyday razor. Love it!

fishcrow likes this.