SoS: May 18, 2015 - May 24, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, May 17, 2015.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ich glaube dass Du eine fabelhafte Rasur hattest! :)

Llyr, Tdmsu and vwp528 like this.
  2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I love FB, nice. I use 5 on my face and 3 on my neck, for a smooth shave with a Feather blade.:eatdrink047:

Hodge, Llyr, spacehobo and 4 others like this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

MDC with TOBS Rose
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Slim Adjustable

3 passes and a darn fine shave

Jasman, 782sirbrian, Troy M and 19 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem & Mercy
    May 19, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Tabac
    Razor - RazoRock TTO
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Balm

Mercy continues with day two on the 7 a.m. I switched from the EJ DE89l to the RazoRock TTO. After yesterday's result I wanted to try a more aggressive razor. Results were nearly the same though it wasn't quite as comfortable as in the EJ. The duller blade in the more aggressive razor produced a bit of drag instead of improving as it sometimes will. Took three full passes and some extra touch up work to get to DFS and there was quite a bit of irritation. I'm a bit unsure whether it's the fault of the blade, the difference in the razor or a combination of the two. Either way I achieved a passable shave, even a bit better than with the EJ and the Nivea cooled everything back down.

The Tabac with the Pro 48 was awesome, by the way. Great lather with the boar and I really like the Tabac. I definitely plan to keep it in the den from here on out. SAD continues unabated.

As for the 7 a.m.? Well, it passed both MAYhem and Mercy in spite of some serious flaws in the MAYhem round. I think it's safe to say that quality control is a challenge for the people at Samah and that reason itself is enough to keep me from keeping any in stock. Given the clear difference in blades I think using these could be a bit like Russian roulette. You may only get one bad blade out of 100, or 1000 but waiting for that next one could take a lot of the fun out of shaving. I also don't like the irritation factor but.....it is a platinum blade too and I don't get along with many platinum blades.

Tomorrow...back to the EJ and the wonderfully awful Baili Blue. A slow boat to a Chinese blade that last time failed only slightly less than the Dying Buzzard.....er...Flying Eagle.

Jasman, 782sirbrian, Troy M and 20 others like this.
  5. TheDude82

TheDude82 Well-Known Member

2.5 on the futur was a little too much. Not a bad shave though. Fantastic soap.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20150518_212839-1.jpg

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  7. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
    Parker Best Badger
    Muhle R41 ('11) Personna blue
    Coldwater/Alum
    Captains Choice Lime

Today was the end of the Captain's Lime. I'll eventually get more, it's a superb aftershave. Another terrific smooth and irritation free shave courtesy of Sir Muhle and Stirling. Happy Tuesday everyone!

Jasman, 782sirbrian, Troy M and 22 others like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Tuesday Morning Shave-a-thon

Pre: Shower
    Razor: Merkur 23c
    Blade: Big Ben
    Soap: Tabac

A nice shave

Jasman, Cap7597, Martin-j and 21 others like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Gillette X-2 Black Tip Super Speed

Viking's Sword #1
    SCS Red Rudy Vey Great Chief 2 Band Fan 26X55mm
    Proraso Green Shave Soap
    Organic Shea Butter
    Proraso Aftershave Lotion + Menthol

IMG_1951-1.jpg

10. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

5/19/2015 Tobacco Tuesday!

Prep: Hot shower with Neutrogena Face Wash with menthol, home made PSO
    Razor: Gillette New OC, H. Boker straight razor
    Blade: Pol Silver (3)
    Brush: Turkish #6
    Soap: RazoRock - Tobacco #2
    After: Home made ASB, Nivea ASB
    Cologne: Midnight in Paris

A Darn Fine Shave + on Tobacco Tuesday. The Tobbacco #2 whipped into a nice, thick and slick lather. The New and Boker did their jobs with ease. The Nivea ASB brought the needed moisture and the Midnight in Paris will have me smelling good all day.

Have a blessed day!

IMG_20150519_152725.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Jasman, Cap7597, Martin-j and 26 others like this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Danke mein Freund. Ich bin immer noch lernen, wie man diese nutzen Rasur, aber Ich mag es so weit.
    Grüße

12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to use that plan tomorrow. :signs001:

Llyr, theFAT98, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Yesterday's shave went so well I used the same gear again. Except for the Aftershave, I thought I'd spice it up a bit.

[​IMG]

Pre Shave - Gillette Pre Shave Wash
    & Proraso Green
    Razor - Tech
    Lather - Proraso Green
    Blade - Gillette silver blur
    Brush - Pilsson synthetic
    Aftershave - Old Spice

Jasman, Cap7597, Martin-j and 24 others like this.
  14. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

SOTD - "Newbie Tuesday"

Prep: Hot Shower
    Razor: Gillette Tech 3-piece “Fat Handle” (my best guess, based on internet research)
    Blade: Astra Stainless
    Brush: Omega Pro 48
    Soap: Arko Stick
    Aftershave: Proraso Post Cream (White)

After 40+ years of electric razors, cans of goo and carts I experienced my first wet / DE shave!

All the gear came from the Vintage Razor Starter Package ($40.) from Garry’s Sample Shop.
    Succinctly put, I believe this provided a great start down this new path.

Overall today was an excellent first shave! Performed the 3-pass shave. (Disclosure: I sport a mustache and goatee, so I'm spared most of the tough shaving angles while I learn technique.) My only nicks came when my mind wandered from my technique (bad cart habits over many years).

Razor / blade: combo worked well for me as I used my hearing as much as anything else to determine best blade angle.

Brush/Soap: I really like this brush, feels good in the hand, like the length. I can’t assess the soap all that well because I think my lathering technique requires almost as much work as my shaving technique. I also need to work on soap v. water proportions...though I think it was mostly my impatience in wanting to get to the shave. (again, another cart/goo bad habit.)

Aftershave: I have an aversion to heavy, strong smells, so I substituted a sample of Proraso white cream aftershave for the Pinaud Musk / Special Reserve that was supplied with the kit. Four hours after my shave and my skin (and nose) is still thanking me.

Technique will obviously be my focus for the coming months. I’ll start by trying out various sample blades over the next few weeks and potentially various soaps / creams and stick with the same razor. From that I will choose one blade and one shaving soap/cream to start a 30-day rule process. I’m choosing this method from all the info I’ve gathered on this site (thanks to all contributors!) in order to accomplish my top goal - establishing solid technique and shaving habits. (Carts and electric razors made me soooo lazy!)

Thanks again to the great support from this group - from tutorials, videos and personal comments and even to some PIF offers of blades and soaps. You’re an amazing group.
    - RT

My Vintage Shave Kit from Garry's Sample Shop
    IMG_2152.JPG

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on the first of many successful shaves. Come on over and join us in the 30 day Focus Thread as well. Lot's of helpful advise and hints provided if you need them. Here is the link. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/new-may-2015-30-day-rule-focus-pic-discussion-thread.44806/

Slow Joe, wristwatchb, Llyr and 6 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

May 19

Stirling Sheep facial soap
    Weber PH
    Feather blade (day 3)
    Kent BK4 silvertip
    Le Père Lucien shave soap
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm

I had a late afternoon shave, as my Bride and I will have dinner at a historic inn in the Great Smoky Mountains this evening.

I hope you all had a great day.

SOTD_051915.jpg

Rufus T., Jasman, Cap7597 and 25 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Mark, you have excellent taste in brushes. One of the joys of the SOTD photos is seeing which one you have up in the rotation.

Slow Joe, wristwatchb, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks for your kind words my friend.

19. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SOTD - Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Shower
    Prep: Homemade PSO
    Brush: Refurb Ever-Ready 115, 2 band
    Soap: MdC Fougere
    Razor: Merkur 38C
    Blade: Voskhod (2)
    Aftershave: Fine Fresh Vetiver

Jasman, Cap7597, Martin-j and 24 others like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the SOTD!

wristwatchb, Tdmsu, Hodge and 4 others like this.