SoS: November 2018

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Jan Zoethout, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Almost Friday boys

Cella
    Paladin 28mm lotus
    Timeless 95 c Personna Red ⚀
    Floid AFS
    Fahrenheit EDP
    3 pass no blood

Have to say, old cella is so easy to build a slick creamy lather. Scent not great, but affordable and reliable.

Have a good Friday shave gents

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

:thanks:

3. Smooth Steve

Ouch! No more finger shaving. I sliced my once loading a blade in my R41 while tightening the handle. It slipped and the head rotated into my finger.
    Steve

clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Smooth Steve

Thanks Perry. I don't know if it is more fun or stupid - but I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble.
    Steve

5. Smooth Steve

I'm with you Jeff. I have only the Rockwell balm, but I love the scent so much, I keep saying I need to get the soap.
    Steve

6. Smooth Steve

Plus they always make bigger containers!
    Steve

clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Smooth Steve

11/16/18 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Black Soap Made in Africa
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Boomtown Bay Rum Shampoo & Conditioner Puck
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Boomtown Bay Rum Artisan Shave Soap
    RazoRock 400 Butterscotch 24 x 57mm Synthetic Noir Plissoft Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Wolfman WR1-OC .74mm Gap Polished Stainless Steel Razor with Darwin Handle
    Feather New Hi-Stainless Blade - 10th Shave
    RazoRock Alum Block
    Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Boomtown Bay Rum Artisan Aftershave - Barrel Aged
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly Aftershave Balm
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Boomtown Bay Rum Natural Deodorant - Sport Formula

D IMG_1639.jpg

8. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Very cool shot, @Smooth Steve. I especially like how the focus accentuates.

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thank you!

Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Guy! :happy088:

Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  11. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

All of the Mystic Water soaps are tallow-based.

Thank you. :)

clint64 and Paul Turner like this.
  12. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

16 November 2018

* Blackbird Machined SB 101
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Maseto Shaving XD 2-Band + Oscar11 Amber Barbeiro

* Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Actually, @clint64, I got all messed up, but straigtened things out talkinabout listening to McCartney's live shows. Thanks for "liking" my effort though :).

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm not sure which MW4Men to go for now. Great choices. Never had a coffee scent before ("Cuppa Joe".)

celestino, clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Fahrenheit is some serious juice. I need to think about using it in the coming weeks.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember is NO whatever you want it to be! Apparently.

November 15

Razor - Gem Micromatic Open Comb
    Blade - Gem Stainless PTFE SE
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - Jayaruh #230
    Post - Alum, Styptic, Cold compress, more styptic, toilet paper shreds, shame

Well, when the shaving gods throw you a curve they do it well. Look at the setup above - the OCMM, PTFE blade, Soap Commander, and a Jayaruh bush. What could look any better or easier. If that's the case then why would I summarize this shave in the following way:

[​IMG]

Well, here's a hint. If you're going to load a blade into an OCMM, I highly recommend you make sure that the corners of the blade are in place UNDER the corner stops. NOT laying on top of it. Because, you see, when you lock down the cap it will hold the blade in place not allowing it to slide....BUT......the corners are now free to breathe and, oh let's say, slice your ear as you go past it. Oh, and it also allows the entire edge to chatter, which then creates a one inch cut on the other end of the razor because you're too stupid to stop when you felt the nick on your ear.

But, let's assume you DO stop and go "oh my, I'm bleeding....whatever could be amiss?" and figure out why you're a blithering idiot and correct the blade. You then proceed to go XTG on your jawline and raise the angle as you approach your goatee. Know that that does? If you said create a nice bleeder you win the prize! You're smarter than I was, apparently. Boys and girls, that was all on pass one. Pass two ended up being a quick touch up and let's just put the flipping razor away tonight. Clearly, I'm not smart enough to use it.

On the positive side of things, the Al-Jamal soap worked very well in the shower and didn't really even burn the bloody cuts all that bad. Actually has a very nice after-shower skin feel. The scent? Just a strong presence of olive oil that actually fades as it lathers up. I think it's slick enough to try a shave with too. Once the scars heal, at least.

[​IMG]

17. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

FRIDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Shampoo - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Puck
    Shower Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Bar
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable) (1/8th turn)
    Blade - [​IMG] *Fresh Blade
    Shave Brush - 20mm GBS Synthetic 3rd generation
    Shave Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Post-Shave Balm - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Deodorant - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Fragrance/Aftershave - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum in Stoneware Jug
    Scuttle - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Scuttle

Tomorrow morning will be the first time using both the CK6 soap formula and the new Moonscape Scuttle. So, I figured I would make it a full set of PAA products (minus the shave brush, which is my designated Bay Rum Lather Brush). I swapped in a new blade since I dropped the razor on its head (it fell about 5-6 inches) and I suspect it could have potentially messed with the edge. I will take no chances with this shave in the morning. So a fresh blade is necessary. Hot lather is back in the bathroom!

***EDIT - Adding my lather pic
    [​IMG]

This lather is some thick stuff and even more thirsty than the previous Crown King formula. Very custard-like. Takes a lot of water to thin it out to a regular consistency.

First, I soaked the soap in water for as long as it took me to brush my teeth. Then I only needed to load the brush for 3-4 seconds (7-8 swirls) and that is the lather I got. I could have kept building that lather into fluffier volumes than the picture shows. I should have shown you a picture of the 3rd pass's added water and re-lather in the bowl. I went through 2 passes with a small brush knot and still had PLENTY of lather from just a small loading. I still felt like I over-loaded the brush after realizing how far the lather could be stretched. I think those guys in the videos who load CK soaps for like 60 seconds are pretty nuts. That's like pouring half a bottle of shampoo in your hands to demonstrate how to wash you hair. I could have gone for poofing up the lather a lot more. You can see how in the bowl the remaining lather is pretty thick and could explode even further if I pushed it. I just like that custard consistency on the first pass then I start adding water to make it slicker for the subsequent passes.

I think this soap could be a pretty good value if used to its potential since it can make so much lather with so little soap (the previous CK formula is also good at making lather with light loadings).

I think the shave seems a bit more 'oily' if I had to use a description. There is a thicker consistency to the CK-6 formula. I think it's more protective than the last formula. The slickness seems about the same to me. The post-shave is really good. I enjoyed the shave a lot. The scuttle's heat I think contributed to making the lather a bit thicker, but I have used the previous CK forumla with my other scuttle and this CK6 is DEFINITELY thicker.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  18. Vesalio

Vesalio Well-Known Member

Soap & after shave tabac, badger two bands shavemac, muhle R89, UFO Titan XL, personna super thin (2).[​IMG]

Sent from the Wolf's Den

19. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razor: ERN Ator
    Brush: Vie-Long Lord Randal horsehair
    Soap: Fine Santal Absolut
    A/S: CRSW Spring Limited
    Love the shape of this blade. :love055:

B2C87EE6-C369-4096-8973-8FB1754E9938.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

20. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pre-Shave: @nsavage pre-shave, cold water
    Razor: Guerrilla
    Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
    Brush: Hucklaration
    Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
    Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.