SoS: November 28, 2016 - December 4, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Got to luv the support for Mitten. The Lions should win today against the Saints!

2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Love to hear about the DOC Evolution. I am very interested in buying. I hope it works well for you.

3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Three Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    CV. Heljestrand SE
    Boker Full Hollow Ground Blade
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    Haslinger Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had the Most Wonderful Shave this Evening with my CV. Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade SE..This Swedish work of Art is just the Dogs Danglies..Air Craft Precision Engineering of the Day..This is One Darn Luxurious Shaver Indeed..These Blades are Wicked Sharp..A Shortened SR Blade in a Handle..Quite Ingenious..:D

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Demidog, MPF9, alfredus and 24 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Top of the morning! KSW Here comes the sun is beautiful on a mildly cold morning. The RazoRock bamboo w/Weber PH are a super combination. The Tusk by ThatDarnRob is a joy to use. The Tuxedo knot can stand up to anything. IMG_4587.JPG

Demidog, MPF9, alfredus and 21 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Thanks - the family connection is a treat and the scales are the icing on the cake. The fact that it shave really well is a bonus. :)

6. Navarrsky

Navarrsky Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mark! :)

7. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hey Friends,

here is my 2nd Advent Shave:

[​IMG]
    Feather Professional Artist Club SS Straight / Feather Professional / Nightdiver´s Honeystick / Calani Simply Soap / Calani Simply Soap ASB

What a fantastic soap and ASB. Smells almost like sometimes in my childhood days. Clean and fresh. Wow!!! The Feather performed as always...nearly perfect. Cut myself a bit two times, but that was my fault, i have been a bit to careless. Better luck next time.

Hope you are fine and have a great time. Enjoy your shaves and take care.

Greetings
    Thorsten​

8. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

Having grown up in the winters of the Mid-Atlantic region, this write-up painted the picture perfectly in my mind and I could just about smell the aromatics as well. I agree with you about the B&M label; it was the first thing I noticed. That artwork set as the centerpiece is eye catching and provides depth to the photo. Another one well done, sir.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SOTD - 4 December 2016

[​IMG]

Have a great evening, and a nice Monday!

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Solch ein fantastisches Bild, mein lieber! :)

11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Flair Tip A 3 1955
    Blade: Lord Platinum Class (4)
    Brush: El Druida Mopane 2 Band
    Soap: Maggard Razor Orange Menthol (Sample)
    Aftershave: Maggard Razor Orange Menthol

Started off with a 3 pass shave tonight WTG, ATG, XTG. When I went to squeeze out my brush I still have a ton of lather. I decided to chase the baby and went ATG in the other direction. I ended up with a BBS. Ta da!!!! Thank you and good night.
    4 12 16b.jpg

13. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

14. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

You know, it's funny, @120inna55 shaves and it results in irritation for my wife. I keep adding to the Christmas list ...

15. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Wish I could do that.
    Bill

16. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Great looking brush Thorsten:happy088:

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Excellent pic and setup!

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!

December 4

Razor - Rapira el-cheapo
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, Nivea

Anyone who shaves with the Mladost 2 will probably agree that it is a rather harsh and potentially painful thing if you don't watch technique, stay on the cap and let the weight of the razor do its thing. There are two ways to fix the Mladost and make it feel better. First, just work on technique to outshave it. Second, use the Rapira razor. The Mladost 2 will suddenly feel like the Aristocrat by comparison.

In my quest to be decadent in my blade choice, yet appropriately and "sovietly" anti-decadent, I think I found the perfect match. The Sharp Star blade. Wonderful blade. One of my top three. Fantastic NOS blade that is smooth, sharp, just a joy. The Rapira razor....that plastic and tin (ok so maybe thin aluminum) cheapo you can get for a few bucks...absolutely not the pinnacle of quality. It's a bit tricky to get the blade in right, even though it has four corner tabs for alignment, and the gap and exposure it presents is scary. It can be rough and bloody if you don't watch it. And, I didn't watch it tonight.

My strategy was to take that wisest of advice you hear here often. "Ride the cap". And, for the first pass, it seemed to work. Definitely a better feel than I usually get with this razor and no blood. The second pass was not so great. I guess I had trouble holding the angle right on the XTG. And, if you add any pressure at all, and as light as this razor is you're tempted, you do what I'll call the "stick and jump". Basically, as you start a pass and put pressure on the razor it sticks for a micro-second as the blade digs, then skips and lands again. This provides a wonderfully parallel two cuts. Fortunately I caught what was happening and released pressure quickly, but not before a couple of nice nicks in perfect alignment. And, I managed to get another nick near my goatee as I applied pressure on the way by. Fortunately, no stick and jump on that one.

The result of two passes....near DFS. Ok for a day off shave. I just have to go get my glasses tomorrow so no biggie. But the alum was fierce and reminded me that, while the blade may be a favorite item of the decadent shaving gods, this razor is the perfect item to balance it out and destroy its imperialistic decadent tendencies.

Hope you had a good weekend and a great start to your week! I'm at the end of mine and the start of my weekend! And I'm very happy about that.

Still seeing some great shaves on here and looking forward to many more this month!! Keep 'em coming!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PLAla, Douglas Carey, clint64 and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.