SoS: October 2, 2017 - October 8, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Sunday shave

omega boar brush 27mm
    muhle r89 supermax blade

preshave proraso red
    shaving soap proraso red
    alum block
    Thayer witch hazel

aftershave figaro monsieur..oud and tobacco scent..if anyone doesn't know that one..

have a good day

RyX, sdguero, alfredus and 18 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Roby! Have a great day!

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

W&B 6-8 AOS MNSHL SR TH .jpeg

With celebrating SEptember and then some time in the woods I’ve been away from my straights for about 6 weeks. Came back home and this lovely W&B put me right back into the groove. Wonderful shave. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Savile Row 3824
    W&B 6/8
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

Happy shaving - Karl

DaltonGang, RyX, Str8on2 and 18 others like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My sotd
    IMG_8203.jpg

Razor - Timeless .68mm oc
    Brush - silver tip in a tom brush handle
    Soap - caties lpl

Awesome fantastic shave ! Bbs smooth. I still got to get use to the weight. Lol my arm and hand gets tired while shaving ..

SmokeShowing, RyX, Str8on2 and 19 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Blackbird OC Delta Echo Razor Finish
    Blade: Personna Tungsten 74 (1)
    Brush: 30 Day Crew w/ LS 2 Band
    Soap: Cold River Soap Works Jeff's Soap
    A/S: Folsom & Co. Shambala

8 10 17.jpg

DaltonGang, RyX, Str8on2 and 19 others like this.
  6. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Schick Type M Injector
    Schick blade
    Maggards black synthetic brush
    Proraso Blue shaving cream
    Pinaud Clubman aftershave

RyX, sdguero, ilts and 9 others like this.
  7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Razor - Gillette Red Tip Superspeed circa 1955-1960 (Re-plated in Satin-Nickel Finish by Razor Emporium.)
    Blade - BiC Chrome Platinum
    Shave Brush - Ever-Ready 1960's vintage (Polished and re-knotted with a 26mm Ubersoft II knot from Envyshave by Razor Emporium.)
    Pre-shave Oil - Lather & Wood "unscented"
    Shave Soap - Old Spice Type scent by The Village Soapsmith
    Aftershave - Proctor & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"
    Post-shave Balm - Retseliney Luxury Skin Care Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum
    Deodorant - Proctor & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"
    Fragrance - Proctor & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"

I tried to do some shaving with the straight razor after some stropping, but it's just not staying sharp. I'm going to need the blade looked at I think.

DaltonGang, RyX, Str8on2 and 15 others like this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hot water wash with a washcloth
    Brothers Bristles /ace black badger
    Stirling Blu
    Gillette New Standard variation serial# 25A
    Ladas (1)
    Polo Blue aftershave gel
    Today's shave was nice. Before I went to church, another open comb was used. Very smooth, comfy to boot. My wife always comments when I use Blu, so thumbs up for scent. Finished with the matching aftershave gel and a spritz of the cologne.
    Hope y'all did as well, or better. 20171008_170332_resized.jpg

DaltonGang, RyX, Str8on2 and 14 others like this.
  9. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

RAZOR: Micro Touch One - TTO DE and a good shaver, more mild than I usually prefer.
    BLADE: Astra Superior Platinum DE blade - have used blade a few times.
    PREP: hot water wash and rinse
    BRUSH: NO
    PRESHAVE: NO
    CREAM: BARBASOL Pacific Rush
    POST SHAVE: hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Pinaud Clubman (not pictured)
    BALM: Maison the Collection - Moroccan Mint Tea Lotion - this was not needed, but I wanted just a hint of menthol this morning.
    Total BBS with the Barbasol. Very nice cushion, slickness, and moisture.
    MicroTouchOne_Barbasol_Maison.jpg

DaltonGang, RyX, Str8on2 and 12 others like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Nice brush and bowl. It truly is very rich looking. I hope you enjoy them.
    Steve

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a Razor I enjoy, when it comes around in rotation. I had a smooth 2 pass shave, with BDBS results. One small cut, under the nose. Very very tiny, but it hurt light a "Son-Of-A-Gun". Lovely Razor, that takes a wickedly sharp edge.

Razor- German Made. "Gong Razor". Extra Hollow Ground.
    Brush- Omega 10066 Boar
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- "Spicy", By Family Dollar. It's an Old Spice knock-off. They do a very good, and very inexpensive job with it. It's great if you want the near Shulton scent, at a rock bottom price.

PA081236.JPG

RyX, Str8on2, sdguero and 11 others like this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Decided to test my technique today....
    So I went with all stuff I could have picked up at any corner drug store....providing it's 1952...

Hot shower prep...
    Barbasol Original
    1952 Gillette Black Tip Super Speed-Steel Model (thanks @stingraysrock )
    Perma-Sharp Super d1
    Thayers Witch-Hazel Clean-Up Pass
    Skin Bracer (full splash) got the coldness fix, then a dab of Afta Balm rubbed between my hands and rubbed in good all over including my forehead...and then an Old Spice full splash, for the scent...
    image.jpg

Didn't use the brush...could have, but just went for simplicity the way some cat would have done in 1952...
    I did 4 passes and got a perfect BBS!!! Normally with my F type Schick I could have gotten a BBS in 2 1/2 passes...But todays shave was a joy, and totally non-irritating...Feels as though a blade nevah touched my face..

Have a Great Week Everybody!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    RyX, Str8on2, sdguero and 12 others like this.
  13. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Barrister and Mann - Cheshire
    DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
    Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

SmokeShowing, RyX, Str8on2 and 13 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober!!!

October 8

[​IMG]

Let's have some FUN!!!!!!

Razor - Pacific DE - the Dollar Tree Special
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Dirty Deeds Tobacco
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

Night two of shenanigan shaves. This one comes courtesy of a thread over on the Mall about a cheapo razor someone located at Dollar Tree. Here's the little gem right here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Notice you're buying the tuck of blades and getting a FREE HANDLE!!! YAY!!!!!! A move stolen right out of Gillette's playbook. The packaging claims a stainless steel handle and very high quality stainless blades. Please note on the back - made in China. Call me skeptical. When I first unpackaged this thing I noticed the head was extremely lightweight metal and the handle felt, well, more like plastic. I put the razor in the freezer for a few minutes and when I pulled it out the handle and head were evenly cold so.......it's metal. But is it stainless? Put a magnet to it and the head did respond, the handle did not, except for the little knob at the very bottom of the razor, then only mildly. I'm not buying the "stainless handle". At least not fully stainless but hey, it's cheap, it's from China, so the bar is low.

The razor actually looks a lot like a Weishi. I pulled out my Weishi and compared. This one is shorter than the Weishi (VDH branded) and not as well built. The TTO mechanism sticks but it does operate fully. It's possible Weishi makes this as a cheaper alternative to their normal cheap razor (and that's getting cheap!) or someone knocked off the design. In China, well, you know.

The blades were my main concern. I'm confident I can handle the razor, but will the blades be the usual Chinese crap, or will they be more like the rare decent Chinese blade that surprises you (or perhaps is a second off of a Gillette or Schick line in China)? Only one way to find out. Semogue 620 with Dirty Deeds Tobacco soap for a nice slick lather and off we go.

I made sure the blade was properly secured. It was bending properly and the doors were shut tight. On the first stroke I noticed the audible nature of this thing. Very noisy but....pretty smooth. Much smoother than I was expecting. I finished the first pass without incident, added lather and went again. Once again, audible but smooth and after some touch up following that pass I'm DFS. Alum was quiet other than three or four little pinpoints and all was well. I have to say.....a pleasant ending to what I expected to be less than pleasant.

The only question remaining is durability of the blades. I'll probably give it at least one more night, maybe two, just to see how it holds up. So what's my preliminary verdict on this razor and blade? Well, for the price of $1......yes, $1, I'd say it would make a good camping razor. You could use it for a week and if you lost it or a racoon stole it who cares! As a travel option it's not bad at all. Would I want this to be my daily shaver? Well, honestly, it would work for that but there are better razors out there that give smoother and more satisfying shaves. This is a utility item. It does the job, does it effectively, and doesn't put you off of shaving forever. As a starter razor I could see it getting some people started and lead them to us where we can enable them into so many other options.

Thanks to @John Ruschmeyer for sending this one to me as I couldn't locate one at any Dollar Tree near me.

Oh, and by the way......the new hockey season has arrived and the Blues are 2-0!!!!!

[​IMG]

RyX, Str8on2, sdguero and 9 others like this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I had one just like it, 52' steel, I gave it to my brother -in- law because it was/ is his birthyear. I really liked it while i had it. It seemed to always give very comfy shaves (close as well). I'll replace it one day, hopefully.

Bird Lives, sdguero, clint64 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.