SoS: October 2, 2017 - October 8, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Did you see my new choice of setup? ;)

clint64, Dansco and sdguero like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

To the best of my knowledge that is true.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

clint64 and Yehuda D like this.
  3. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Wednesday SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Gillette Toggle - Rhodium
    Blade: Super Iridium (D2)
    Brush Zen Shave two band 24mm
    Bowl: TDG Style-4 5½” Cypress Sinker Log
    Pre-Shave scrub: Holy Black True Grit (Coffee)
    Pre-Shave Balm: TSD Oakmoss Sandalwood
    Shave Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Joe
    Aftershave: Black Ship Grooming Captain Joe

4. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

10/3/2017 - Jamie's Night Shave - Mason's Boutique OCTANE - PAA Rocket brush & the Cube Pre shave soap. Schick Shift Injector with new NOS Personna Injector blade -->

[​IMG]

5. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

10/04/17 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Mineral Fusion Face Soap
    Captain's Choice Bay Rum Shaving Cream
    RazoRock 400 Butterscotch 24 x 57mm Synthetic Noir Plissoft Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Gillette 1930's New Type Long Open Comb Razor
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Russian Green Pack Super Stainless Blade - 4th Shave
    RazoRock Alum Stick
    Homemade Lime & Rose Witch Hazel
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Bay Rum Aftershave Tonic
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements High Jump 47 Soothing Aftershave Balm

D IMG_7225.jpg

6. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

The Shaving Shop Club - The Scream
    DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
    Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

I ordered "The Scream" based solely on the label. I'm shallow that way. I knew it wasn't much of a risk, because I am familiar with The Club's cream base, and it's spectacular. This cream isn't as soft as TOBS, but instead more like RazoRock's SMdF or Dead Sea. It still meets cream criteria, but you're not going to get a load by simply dipping your brush into the tub. That said, it doesn't take many swirls from this solid backboned Tuxedo knot to get plenty of load for a 2 1/2 pass head and face shave. (If you're not accustomed to creams, I recommend you separate a small amount of the product into a lathering bowl to load the brush. Then build your lather either on your face or in the bowl. Loading directly from the tub works just fine, but you need to be careful you don't add a lot of water to the tub in the process.) This cream yields an obscene amount of thick, dense lather. It's also one of the slickest in my collection---both in first and subsequent passes. I shower shave, and my final rinse is simply standing underneath the shower head with water running full-blast. My skin remains slick even after that extensive rinse. The post-shave is above average.

I lucked out on the fragrance because I honestly ignored the profile when I made the purchase. Fortunately I rather like it. If you're not a fan of anise, take a pass on this one (go pick up Khalifa, instead). Anise is foremost upon lathering, but it's quickly balanced with woody lavender and a healthy dose of sensual jasmine. After first use, that's all I picked up from the lather, but it was very nice.

The aftershave splash (via pump spray) downplays the anise, while jasmine, geranium, and more woody lavender upstage it slightly. The drydown reveals more warm woody notes and ultimately plateaus with vanilla and rosewood. Given the medium, the splash has more character than the cream. This fougère seems to have some Eastern influence without being incense-heavy.

"The Scream" is more confirmation that I made the right decision to re-up my Club membership. I initially joined last year for the exclusives and edgy labels, but that attraction can fade quickly given the artisan offerings today. Fortunately, there is substance behind the glam in that the The Club fragrances continue to take risks, some of which having gone well beyond my tastes. Conversely, there have been others outside my wheelhouse for which I have developed an affinity. All this is encased in an outstanding base. This is essentially the model for The Club, and as long as it continues on this course, the products will continue to be in my den.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Doug!

clint64, Douglas Carey and ram57 like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Cool effects, Guy.

clint64 and ram57 like this.
  9. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Jim

clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful brush. It would look great in my display cabinet with my other vintage Simpsons:D

ram57, clint64, sdguero and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod171004.JPG
    Williams Wednesday's OC Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Williams
    Jayaruh #224
    Gillette Single Ring
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Williams Mug Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #224 synthetic brush. I did the two passes with the Gillette Single Ring and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober!!!

October 3

Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Style
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Tuesday shave extravaganza! It's head shave night and the Merkur 23c and Arko made quick work of that with a new Astra SP blade. After last week's run with the pain stick this week's head shave seemed to take only an instant. I love the way the pain stick works on my head but I do take longer with it.

On to the main event with the Old Style and Voskhod for the third night. MWF still for the soap and I grabbed the JR46 with Maggard synthetic knot. I soaked the puck while I was doing my head shave, then dipped the brush into the mug for just a couple of seconds. Shook it out so that it was barely damp then loaded from the puck. Perfect load and the lather when I went to my face was absolutely perfect MWF lather. There you go. There's the secret to synthetics with the Fat. I had enough lather to do four or five passes but only used three to get the BBS and no issues with blood or any other problems. Alum was quite pleasant. Best shave of the three and a great way to continue into OCtober. On to a new razor tomorrow night. Still debating which one.

[​IMG]

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

¿uʍop ǝpısdn ʎɥM ¡oʇoɥd ןnɟɹǝpuoM

sdguero and clint64 like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you, Sir! I picked up the razor in a swap with a local antique store. Traded some shiny junk I'd scavenged for that one, a Gillette OLD short comb/ ball handle, and a Fat Boy with a stuck adjuster. The NEW LC was the best of the three. Scrubbed it with an old toothbrush & Brasso , then Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and a soft cloth. Here it is before cleaning up.
    NEW LC from the wild.gif Gillette 3pc OC New long comb bar handle.gif Brasso & Turtle Wax.gif
    That's a fine set-up you got going there, too. What's your thoughts on the Proraso Lotion? To me it smells like muscadine grapes taste picked fresh off the vine.

15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I did! Sounds like an excellent shave and there's lots in there I've not heard of haha!

Is the snake bite mentholated too? I don't have any of this "freezing" stuff. Recommendations to try getting into it?

sdguero, PLAla, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That sounds like a very rewarding trade. Someone else will get to use your shiny stuff and you get to do it all over again! :p

As for the grapes, I can see what you mean now you've said it (although I've never had the pleasure of tasting straight from the vine :(). I need to work on my nose when it comes to all these soaps and balms. Sounds stupid but apart from thinking "ooh, nice" I hadn't really considered what the smell was!

ram57, sdguero, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I tried a sample of Snake Bite. I think that's all it is; alcohol and menthol. You have to want it to use it.

ram57, sdguero, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  18. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Wednesday shave

muhle 23mm silvertip badger
    mach3 Gillette

razorock the stallion shaving soap
    alum block
    Thayer witch hazel
    razorock the stallion aftershave

have a great day guys

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great grouping in a fine setting Guy.

ram57 and clint64 like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Jim.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

ram57, clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.