SOS: October 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Mark! It is a great razor. The SS model is nice and hefty, which I like. It is mild yet efficient

Boru62, brit, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Well... This bloody hair Tabac doesn't help me get an increased salary from the management, I might as well just FART!!! laughing out loud and who's going to pass me some matches :angry021:

3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Not going to lie. My grooming habits have helped my career more than I'd like to admit.

4. SpeedyPC

Sound like you're having way too many female German :sexe: from the management department.

5. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Tuesday OCtober 1

First OC shave of the month.
    Hitting leadoff, a 113 year old, 1906 Gillette single ring model 100.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
    Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin (A+ in my book)
    Brush - Rubberset 400-3
    Blade - Feather HI SS (3)
    Razor - 1906 Gillette model 100
    Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Stirling Ramblin' Man A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

What a nice shave this razor gave. No wonder these razors were popular. This soap might be my favorite soap as well. I know it's not MWF, I'll do that tomorrow on a "W" day. 2 pass shave with NO need for partial cleanup passes. 1st pass was WTG and DFS+ and I could have stopped there but I got greedy. Did the 2nd pass XTG on my face and ATG on my neck area. Greedy part came with the ATG on my neck area and I pressed a bit too hard to try to get everything in the 2nd pass and caused myself some irritation that I felt when applying the alum and A/S. Other than that misstep on my part, a GREAT shave from this old-timer.

Tomorrow, considering another old-timer, a 1918 Gillette Bulldog.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Thanks. It was a great shave today. The Futur is my best razor IMO. Virtually bullet proof.

Boru62, brit, MrDaniel's and 2 others like this.
  7. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Some of customers here are German.

brit, MrDaniel's and clint64 like this.
  8. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Tabac Tuesday OCtober 1st SOTD

I won't be using open comb razors all month but I had to at least start it off right . A comfortable 3 pass shave with the Gillette RFB and Super Iridium blade. I may try an Astra next to tone down the aggressiveness as I did get slight irritation and a small weeper on the neck. Otherwise great! Happy Tuesday.

Josh

[​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The Way It Is For Wednesday:

prep-Nivea 4 Men Bodywash(Energy)in shower
    shave-Gillette Foamy Menthol Canned Loveliness
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Stoylin Glacial Sharp Dressed Man Splash

10. SpeedyPC

Thank bloody goodness you don’t have hair Tabac ;)

brit, hins2jw0, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Stahly/BIC (2)[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

October 2, 2019
    Wolfman WR1 OC Ti (O.73mm) with Hempel Ti
    Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow
    Heritage Collection C-MON
    L’Occitane Cade Shave Soap
    Fine Fresh Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver EdT

[​IMG]

13. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

DSCF0008 - Edited (1).jpg
    Wednesday 10.02.19 SOTD

RazoRock Essential Oil Of Lime Shave Oil
    Muhle R41 iKon OSS Handle / Feather (2)
    Yaqi R1730 Sagarda Familia Tuxedo synth
    RazoRock "What The Puck?!" Lime Burst
    Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash

DSCF0009 - Edited.jpg

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Opon Comb OCtober

I have exactly one open comb razor. It ain't much, but it is mine and it shaves well. I think it is a New SC.

Usually I would use this with a one and done blade. I have never used a Feather in this piece, can't figure why. Even though I've seen folks around that consider Feathers one and done (ahem @Terry) I hang with this till this blade gives up the ghost.

In honor of Hi being on first, the Jayaruh 367 came out. Hmm, wonder if Hu got his base hit on the stubby end of my brush?

The Blue Ming came around a little miffed cause I said soap blooming is not a necessity. After listening to him whine on, I had to explain that in this world there are folks just not secure enough to put water on their soap. So we went happily on.

Everybody has heard me rant about Stirling Blood on Steel. Yup, still the best.

The old Gillette is a tad more to my liking with a Feather. Left me a little scritchy where I went sideways on my neck, no lasting negative though. Wish I could make that sideways move open edge. Great 3 passers, with, across, against.

Seen some real fine open comb shavers. I almost feel depressed showing mine.

Have a great one. Shave free.

[​IMG]

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wednesday
    OCtober 2, 2019

Asylum Evolution T Plate
    Polsilver SI
    BB Omega Essential Boar
    Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    CRSW Lavish Aftershave
    Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender

[​IMG]

16. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Phoenix Shaving | Harvest Moon
    Kent V8
    The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

[​IMG]

Last year I acquired Phoenix Shaving's "Harvest Moon" EdP. Given the abundance of seasonal offerings this time of year coupled with my over-abundance of product, I just couldn't bring myself to purchase another soap at the time. I'm glad I did pick up the EdP, because after having been using this fragrance intermittently for a year, I just can't get enough of it. While the profiles are vastly different, Harvest Moon rivals Declaration Grooming's "Dark Fall" as my all-time favorite Fall fragrance.

Harvest Moon is a prime example of how documented scent notes sometimes fail to demonstrate the true nature of a fragrance. The notes are as follows: oud, green tobacco, black currant, tobacco absolute, hay absolute, Peru balsam, smoke, Spanish moss, and white sage. That certainly sounds like something I would enjoy, but I was not prepared for what I’d experience.

To my nose, Harvest Moon opens with a vaporous sweet petroleum teetering between creosote and gasoline. This description may very well steer some away, but it artfully achieves this vibe in a very similar fashion of that of classic Fahrenheit. This peculiar fuel note quickly ushers in a faint bit of smoke before becoming less volatile and more metallic. The metal element is that of warm oily steel with wet flinty and graphite notes. This subtle transition all occurs over a period of about 30 minutes before succumbing to a damp earthy fragrance with pleasant judicious fresh tobacco, green herbs, and sweet sun-baked alfalfa that emits a subtle buttery note. I enjoy this middle phase for a good 3-4 hours, at which point the EdP doesn't lose momentum but rather darkens a bit more with rich, dark, wet earth soaked in Dr. Pepper, of all things, along with freshly split resin-weeping wood. This quintessential Fall-themed dry down lasts for about another 3 hours before fading. Harvest Moon begins very industrial, painting an image of steam-punk machinery monstrosities before evoking memories of well-trodden theme park grounds on a brisk cool night and ultimately relenting to a natural warm, grassy earthiness with gentle wafts of cured smoky aromatic tobacco.

In addition to this being a very pleasant fragrance, the performance of this EdP is outstanding. It has enough character and variety such that I don't get tired of it or noseblind. It's understandably marketed as a Fall fragrance, but over the past year, I've found it to be quite versatile. Despite the unapologetically bold, possibly polarizing opening, I find that element is short-lived enough such that casual or even professional wear are still appropriate.

This is one of those unique instances in which I've extensively used a fragrance before ever owning the soap or splash. I've become so enamored with Harvest Moon, I couldn't avoid purchasing the whole set this season.

17. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Gillette Single Ring/Gillette Silver Blue
    Fendrihan 24mm Tux/Wickham 1912 Le Bleu
    Thayers Astringent/Aqua Velva/Aramis Adventurer

Good start with the Single Ring to the OCtober event. 3 passes and it was over. The Wickham 1912 gives a real nice slickness and protection that I can appreciate. Thayers sets the pace and AV Ice Blue sets the face. Aramis is just the cherry on top. Great shaves to all....

023EEFDC-9E2A-49F8-9CBA-5B2CB915980B.jpeg

18. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

clint64 likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic sir..

clint64 and Str8on2 like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

awesome..