SoS: October 21, 2013 - October 27, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 20, 2013.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD Oct 22

Prep: hot shower
    Razor: Weishi 9306
    Blade: Derby Extra Stainless Steel (day 2)
    Brush: Wilkinson Sword
    Cream: Musgo Real Classic
    Passes: 3 (WTG, XTG, ATG)

Add another great shave to the list! I may have had the perfect about of lather this morning. Application was a little on the light side for pass three, but there was more lather hiding in the brush.

I tried stretching my face out to deal with my jaw line, and it helped a lot! I find I don't have much grip, but I understand alum can help with that. Full three passes again today. I saw a red spot or two after the second pass, but nothing too bad so I went for the third. There was some slight stinging when I relathered for the third pass, but I was mind full of my technique and nothing came of it.

Razor burn and irritation seem to be a thing of the past, but my face does feel dry. I should have some after shave balm by the end of the week to help with that though.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

R41
    Personna Lab Blue
    Chubbz 3 (Rubberset 300N, Omega boar 23x50)
    Arko SS
    Superior 70

3. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Tuesday
    hot shower
    Thater 4292/6,2 band,fan
    Maggard Lime PSO
    TSD Rosemary&Mint SS
    iKon Slant/Polsilver (1)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Thayer's Original WH
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Great 2 pass face,1 pass dome for BBS all around !!!! :D

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Tuesday:
    Hot shower with Grandpa's Sandalwood bar soap
    Homemade Cedarwood PSO
    Gillette Red Tip
    Personna Lab Blue (1)
    VDH boar
    Edwin Jagger Sandalwood cream (in the scuttle)
    Edwin Jagger Sandalwood AS lotion
    GFT Sandalwood deodorant

Lots of firsts today. First time with the Red Tip, first time with a Personna Lab Blue, and first time for the Edwin Jagger products. The Red Tip is a dandy little razor that I think I'm going to like. The Edwin Jagger made great lather but the scent was hardly noticable both with the cream and the lotion.​

5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Tuesday

Canadian tech (1932)
    Vulfix 404
    MWF
    Proraso Splash
    Personna Plat

It was a lovely shave this morning. I kept it simple (unlike Sunday's) and stuck with the basics. I brought out my MWF as it had been some time since I last used it and it lathered no problem! The Proraso was just what I needed to get a good pick up in the morning!

Have a great day! :)

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

TUESDAY
    First Shave in 5 Days...

1. PRE: Hot shower, Proraso Menthol/Eucalyptus Pre-Shave Cream
    2. RAZOR: 2011 Mühle R-41
    3. BLADE: Feather Stainless (Day 1)
    4. BRUSH: Omega 652 Pure Badger
    5. LATHER: Proraso Menthol Cream
    6. SHAVE: Two passes & touch-up
    7. POST: Cold water rinse & Proraso Aftershave Balm

With a five-day growth, time to call out the Big Guns...hence the choice of the Mühle. Only two passes with this razor were required to get my face ultra-BBsmooth. Great shave and refreshingly cool, thanks to all the Proraso Menthol. Ready to face the work-week now.
    Have a great Tuesday, all!
    [​IMG]

7. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Welcome back Kevin! Hope you enjoyed the ralaxation of the mountains and are ready to get back to work. :happy108:

Llyr, crackstar, LifesShort and 2 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Bruce. It is good to be back (miss my family!), but had a great 'guy's getaway' time! It's hard NOT to enjoy the beauty of creation in Tahoe this time of year!

Llyr, Azarius, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  9. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Monday

CeraVe facial cleanser
    TSD unscented wheat cream
    Mühle hjm black fibre synthetic brush
    Schick type G injector
    Personna blade
    CeraVe lotion

Three passes, very smooth results.

Day 5 of fog at my house... :(
    [​IMG]

10. Stroker

SOTD Tuesday 10-22-2013

5/8 Blue Steel, Full Hollow, Spike Point
    Proraso PSC
    Old Spice Original SC
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Omega Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Old Spice Classic ASL

The Blue Steel was an e-bay find. It was advertised as a vintage Wester Bros., Anchor Brand but it isn't. The photo was only one sided and fuzzy and the black patina blocked any reading on the shank. It was in a Wester Bros coffin which I will give the benefit of the doubt to the seller that they didn't know. (it was not a razor type seller) The blade looked good under all that black crud and the price was right. After cleanup and honing it is a very good performer and in nice condition. I have looked all over the web (including manah's site) for any information on the "Blue Steel" brand as to who makes it (it is stamped made in Germany for F.L. Stoddard, Duluth, Minn. on the other side of the tang) but, can't come up with anything. It was manufactured in Germany for this shaving supply distributor in the states which is very common from 1900 - 1930's. I have a Kinfolks Blue Steel (American made) and there are a number of other Blue Steel razors but they all have a manufacturer's name or are re-branded stamped on the primary side of the shank. If anyone has any info please let me know.
    At any rate, it's a great performer. Went with the Old Spice this morning because it just felt like an Old Spice kind of day. :D

Shave Photo 528SM.jpg

11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

You sure seem to love those spike points, Bruce.

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Tuesday:

Cetaphil Face Bar
    Cella
    EJ Best Medium
    Dovo Natural
    Witch Hazel
    Afta Fresh
    Captain's Choice Bay Rum

:happy036:

13. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning, October 22, 2013

Schick E2 Injector with Personna blade (6)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

B B 35.JPG

14. Stroker

Yep! I'm a traditionalist I guess. Most of my razors are the spike or square points. (I like the way they look.) :)

Llyr and crackstar like this.
  15. MACS

MACS Member

563051_10201804826738488_1806619463_n.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, it was taken from my iPhone and although I could use my DSLR, it just takes too long to upload, cut, etc.

This was last night's shave. I used:

Gillette Superspeed Flair Tip with an Astra SP (3rd use).
    VDH Boar Brush.
    J.M. Fraser's Polar Ice Cream.
    Spice, knockoff version of Old Spice made by ShopRite.

I had to rehydrate the cream by using 1 oz of water which I mixed with a metal spoon until the cream regained it's "creamy" consistency. Before that, it was hard like a soap. I left it untouched for a few days and last night decided to use it and try it out. Performed very well, easy to lather and good glide/cushion. I like the clean, marshmallowy scent it has. I also taped the lid because when my friend shipped it to me from Germany, it arrived broken, which is in part what made it hard, but that's OK, because it won't go to waste.

The cream is very moisturizing and does not leave my face dry and feeling like cardboard. Before lathering it up, I soaked my brush for 10-15 minutes before using it, and washed my face with Neutrogena Face Wash. Didn't use a facial scrub since I alternate using it every other day to give my skin a rest.

The shave went three passes, WTF, XTG, ATG, and had no irritation, nicks or anything. It wasn't a BBS shave since the blade started to lose its sharpness but it was a close shave nonetheless. Very comfortable. Rinsed with cold water and then applied the Spice, which stung a little because of the alcohol but didn't cause redness. After that I finished it off with St. Ives Collagen moisturizer and was good to go!

Have a great day, everyone!

M.

16. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning, October 22, 2013

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
    Proglide cartridge (11)
    Omega 20102 Pro boar bristle brush,
    Arko soap, lather with hot water—
    Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Clubman

Wow, the Fusion Proglide cartridge feels as sharp as the first day, excellent DFS+ and I believe I also owe this comfort to the wonderful Arko. I opened a new stick this morning. This soap is truly amazing and works best with my face. Aces!

[​IMG]

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tuesday

Prep: Hot shower with Dirigo Blue Juniper Sage shower soap, Dirigo Blue Aroostook PSO
    Coffee: Maxwell House, BLACK
    CD: Chuck Leavell, Back to the Woods
    Soap: TSD Blue Juniper
    Brush: 24mm fan
    Injector: PAL Adjustable, one notch closer to L
    Blade: Schick, day 2, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, ice water splash, Dickenson's WH, B&BW Noir
    'Stache Wax: Dirigo Blue

I'll give the PAL another go at this setting. Seemed just a tad more aggressive than I like, thus the reason for another day of testing. Yesterday's setting at the mid-point was very nice.

Llyr, Azarius, PanChango and 15 others like this.
  18. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Tuesday 22-10-2013

Razor: Mergress Long Handle @ 5
    Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
    Brush: Balea Pure Badger
    Cream: Arko Moist
    AS: Denim Black

19. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Mergress XL (s5)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (D5)
    Brush: Bullgoose Yellow Beehive 24mm horsehair
    Pre: Musgo Real Lime Basil Oil Soap
    Soap: Jabonman Mountain
    Aftershave: RazoRock Baby Blue

Today swapped the Silver Blue into the Mergress XL from a Fat Boy and big difference in the shave. With the Fat Boy at setting from 7-9 it performed on the level of a Derby to me and I was not impressed but I know YMMV. Before tossing blade into disposal bin decided to try in Mergress and glad I did. Only had to do a two pass today after switching razor.

20. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Tuesday 10/22

Hot shower
    RazoRock glycerin
    RazoRock Don Marco
    Shavemac Silvertip Badger
    1920 Gillette new style open comb
    Gillette silver Blue

Outstanding DFS IMG_0003.JPG