SoS: October 23, 2017 - October 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, tonight's OC SOTD is as follows-

1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition Scroll Handle Old Type.
    Vintage Gillette Blue Blade.
    Simpsons Special S-1 pure badger brush.
    Wholly Kaw Vegan Vetivertal shave soap.
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve splash.
    Safari for Men cologne.

[​IMG]

A two pass BBS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

10/28/17 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Daisygirl Soaps - Citrus Spice Goats Milk Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
    Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Shampoo & Conditioner Puck
    Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Artisan Shave Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Blue Train Custom 24mm Silvertip Badger Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Timeless Polished Stainless Steel OC Razor with 0.95mm Blade Gap, Scalloped Cap, & H5 Dimpled Handle
    Voskhod Teflon Coated Russian Blade - 1st Shave
    RazoRock Alum Stick
    Homemade Lime & Rose Witch Hazel
    Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave & Cologne
    Crown King Mentholated Atomic Age Bay Rum Star Jelly Aftershave
    Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength

D IMG_7538.jpg

3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Wow. What a color rich pic! That is one sparkling 'new' looking OS mug! Bright and gorgeous. Where do I get a mug in that condition? I thought the ones I have look new, but yours has colors that just 'pop' out like it just got made an hour ago. Great mug man.

sdguero, celestino, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  4. Tim Spencer

Nice razor! Love the ancient ABC Gillettes. Took me a while to find one and a high expensive to re-plate it. Yours looks to be in good condition.

sdguero, mrchick, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  5. Tim Spencer

[​IMG]

Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - Feather HI-Stainless
    Shave Brush - Satin Tip "The Purest"
    Shave Soap - Wet Shaving Products "Gaelic Tweed" Rustic Vegan Formula (In my own personally labeled tub)
    Aftershave - Wet Shaving Products "Gaelic Tweed"
    Deodorant - Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Fragrance - Creed Green Irish Tweed

6. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Thank you very much - greatly appreciate it :thanks:

Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  7. Smooth Steve

I was wondering how much was hype behind the marketing of this release and I must say that Phoenix really delivered on this one. My experience with this product line began with the Shampoo puck. I really like the PAA shampoos. I have been using the Sandalwood and this is the second scent I have tried. With little effort, the puck just lathers my hair (all three pieces) with thick rich goodness. The scent is just the right strength and I really just flat out enjoy these shampoos. I just wish they would sell them in a optional tub because their form factor is rather large and round. I think the key to their longevity is letting them dry off fully without sitting in any water.

The shaving soap was very enjoyable. As with all the latest Crown King shave soaps I have, it lathered easily, provided ample slickness, and the cushion was second to none in my experience. My face was left feeling great during the post shave, smooth, soft and moisturized. I could not ask for more. The scent strength on a scale of 1 to 10 was probably around a 7. For me it was just right, but the story is the quality of the scent.

Scents are always hard for me to describe for any product, but I will do my best - especially since satisfaction and enjoyment is a very personal thing. All I can say about the Atomic Age Bay Rum fragrance is that I think it really is perfect for my tastes. The scent is fairly smooth and the components really work together harmoniously without being too muted and muddled. The primary component is a rum surrounded with a secondary note of what smells to me like a woodsy aged barrel. This secondary scent seems to fill the fragrance out and give it its heady richness. A spice fragrance completes this complex experience, and holds it all together, but again it is smooth in a vanilla type way. Not that it smells like vanilla, but that the scent does not have a harsh roughness. It is full and dense. I am not sure if that all makes sense, but it is the best I can do. In simple terms, it is a very enjoyable, smooth aged bay rum fragrance.

The scent is fairly consistent throughout the product line from the shampoo, to the shave soap, to the aftershave to the balm and less robust deodorant. The AS is stronger then the typical splash and I could smell traces all day. It is also the most complex of the olfactory experiences. I think the aged barrel component of the scent is the strongest within the AS. At first the AS did not exhibit the typical bay rum burn and I was a little disappointed, but then it came, slowly invigorating my face without being too over powering. Pure happiness. I used the AS with the balm, and combined they left my face just feeling amazing. The balm is slightly mentholated, for a little coolness, but nothing too strong. It is hard to know which product had which long lasting effect on my face but combined they worked really well.

I enjoyed this shave so much, I will use these products again tomorrow, but will add the CUBE for a bit of menthol and my homemade lime witch hazel for an enhanced experience.

Bottom line on this bundle of products - They are high quality, leave your face feeling great post shave, and the scent is outstanding if you like bay rum IMO. I highly recommend this offering, but keep in mind, this was my first use of these products. I need to get a few more shaves with them, but I do not expect my perceptions will degrade my enjoyment. Generally if I like something the first use, I just appreciate it more with each subsequent use, noting more subtle details.

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Took out the Krona again this week ... it is so good that it's boring (literally). On the positive side; even a drunk could safely shave with one

Schick Krona DE razor
    Whipped Dog synthetic brush
    Rapira Platinum Lux blade
    TFS Sotto La Mole soap
    Acca Kappa 'Green Mandarin' body lotion

9. Smooth Steve

Another home run. Very nice.

celestino and clint64 like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Great pic buddy. Like the colors and that cool handle from Rod.

EzraCobb and clint64 like this.
  11. Smooth Steve

Hi Morman, Very nice razor. How does it shave for you?
    Steve

clint64 likes this.
  12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 10/28/17

'59 Gillette 195 ( set on 5)
    Wilkinson (5)
    Barbasol Pacific Rush
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    Barbasol Pacific Rush A/S

A Fine Shave Indeed!

Have A Great Day DSCF1853.JPG

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent picture and line up.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

EzraCobb, ram57 and clint64 like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Always great to see the 30 DC LE brushes used by so many.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

ram57, clint64, NCoxSTL and 1 other person like this.
  15. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Even a small nick near my lower lip didn't spoil the fun I had with this shave because I grabbed the styptic pencil right away. The only thing I could feel was the bitterly-cold, rich, slick lather from that Glacial Obsidian soap and then the matching balm. That nick healed right away and then I dabbed on a little Arctique which gave me a freeze that can make you feel like you applied liquid nitrogen to your face. Three passes cleaned me up smoother than silk!

Hope y'all have a wonderful day!

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 28, 2017
    Wolfman OC Ti (0.74mm) with Triad Ti Aristocrat
    Personna 74 (13)
    Wild West Brushworks 30mm Tuxedo
    Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge
    Fine Lavender

[​IMG]

17. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Saturday shave

shavemac 26mm silvertip badger brush
    mach3 Gillette

razorock nomad shaving soap
    alum block
    Thayer witch hazel lavender

aftershave...razorock nomad...i think its one of the best scent i have ever come across..

have a great day guys

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

OCtober 28, 2017

Simpson Chubby 2
    Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe
    Wolfman Ti WR1-OC with Cu Darwin
    Personna Med Prep
    Barrister and Mann Seville AS
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]

19. mrchick