SoS: October 28, 2013 - November 3, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 27, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tuesday

Prep: Hot shower, Dirigo Blue Aroostook PSO
    Coffee: Maxwell House, BLACK
    CD: Play Me the Blues, disc 2
    Soap: TSD Interception
    Brush: Omega 11574
    DE: '55 Red Tip
    Blade: Astra SP, day 2, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, ice water splash, Dickenson's WH, Pinaud Clubman, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: Firehouse Wacky Tacky

Just another darn fine shave.

Llyr, MoAllen, DLreno and 15 others like this.
  2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Prep : shower+ hot water
    Brush : Omega 48
    Razor : Gillette Tech
    Blade : Q-Ball(3)
    Cream : Mem Olive

Didn't feel well in the last 2 days and today didn't have too much time in the morning. Face-lather with the Mem olive cream and a quick 2 passes with the tech razor and q-ball blade supplied an effortless BBS. Splash some Tarr and bolted out of house. No time for pictures :)

Llyr, DLreno, wknicholas and 16 others like this.
  3. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Tuesday, October 29, 2013
    • Prep: Warm shower, Homemade Cedarwood PSO
    • Razor: EJ DE89L
    • Blade: Astra SP (2)
    • Soap: RazoRock Nonno Michelino Sandalwood Shaving Soap
    • Brush: Vie Long Horse Hair 12705
    • Post: Witch Hazel followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
    • AS: Pinaud Clubman
    Excellent shave! After using cartridges for the last 35 years, I made the switch to DE shaving about 2 months ago. From the very beginning, my shaves with the DE were just as close, if not closer, than with the cartridge. I always had irritation, though, from poor technique. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this because not only do I now get much closer shaves than I ever did with cartridges, I do it without irritation. Sure, there are the occasional times when I get careless and press too hard, but as long as I pay attention, all is well. I haven't had any real irritation in about 3 weeks.

4. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD Oct 29

Prep: hot shower
    Razor: Weishi 9306
    Blade: Mekur (day 1)
    Brush: Wilkinson Sword
    Cream: Musgo Real Classic
    Passes: 3 (WTG, XTG, ATG)
    First shave with the Merkur. I've heard (read) mixed reviews on this blade, so I was a little apprehensive about trying it. So far, me and my shave get along well with this blade!

Lather starts out bad, it was to wet so I started over. I seemed to get some pulling on the first pass buy my beard, but otherwise not a bad shave. Three passes with no nicks or irritation. Face felt pretty smooth after the second pass, but went for the third anyway. no regrets on the choice right up until the alum did it's job and found all the nerve endings in my face...
    My jaw line and Adams apple are still problem spots, but this has been the smoothest shave yet! DFS++

The Proraso blue is stopping my face from drying out, and no one has commented on the sent. It's nice when a product does everything it's supposed to.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Straight shaving gets easier and easier over time as your seeing. Also a man after my own heart, Cella is a phenominal soap, my personal favorite.

Llyr, crackstar, Leo K. and 5 others like this.
  6. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Tuesday 29.10.2013

Razor: Fatip Grande + Weber Bulldog Handle
    Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
    Brush: Vie Long 13071
    Cream: Lord Emofresh (thanks Jeff)
    AS:Brut Original EU

I already love the razor! I have just one "problem",I don't feel the blade,so smooth,like shaving with slant,but more aggressive and effective!

7. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day, Tuesday October 29, 2013
    Prep: Brush soaked in warm water, warm shower, Petal Pusher Fancies Wicked Cookie Duster Moustache Conditioner
    Razor: Mühle R41, paired to Maggard MR4 Handle
    Blade: PolSilver Stainless Steel (produced in Russia)
    Brush: Vintage Stanley Home Products restored with TGN 22mm Fan High Density Finest Two-Band Badger Knot
    Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Black Tea
    AS: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, double splash of aftershave, Petal Pusher Fancies Dandy Candy Moustache Trainer
    [​IMG]
    Great shave, almost impossible to have a bad shave with today’s products.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.

stingraysrock, Llyr, DLreno and 19 others like this.
  8. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Tuesday

CeraVe facial cleanser
    Mike's Natural soap, unscented
    HIS synthetic brush
    Schick type I injector
    Schick blade (new)
    Alum block
    CeraVe lotion

After the rough shave yesterday with a well-used Personna blade, I put a fresh Schick blade in the injector today. Much smoother experience! The Mike's soap did a great job. Good shave!

[​IMG]

stingraysrock, Llyr, Azarius and 17 others like this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Best shave yet!

Prep: warm shower
    Face wash with Shea moisture African Black Soap
    Proraso Green Crema pre Barba
    Soap: Tabac Original
    Brush: Parker synthetic
    Razor: Maggard m10
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge yellow (3)
    TSD Aftershave milk Signature scent (bay rum + sandalwood)
    EDT: Tabac Original

BBS! Three passes plus touch up. I was trying to get a little closer today, since parent teacher conferences are tonight. Such a great shave! Comfortable with not burn or irritation. The AS went on smooth and my face feels and looks great!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383057017.870511.jpg

stingraysrock, mjemec, Llyr and 20 others like this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Mergress XL (S4)
    Blade: PoliSilver SI (D5)
    Brush: Spalted Maple w 24mm Super Silvertip
    Pre: Musgo Real Lime Basil Oil Soap
    Soap: Prairie Creations DdC Alpine Snowdrift
    Aftershave: Krampert’s Frostbite

Llyr, Azarius, DLreno and 13 others like this.
  11. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Tuesday 10-29-2013

13/16 James Barlow & Sons ECHO Wedge. in Ivory
    Proraso PSC
    Old Spice Original SC
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Omega Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Old Spice Classic ASL

Great shave with the Barlow wedge this morning. I found this in an old antique (junk shop) in a small town in Oregon during my travels. It is in remarkable shape for its age. These were produced in 1828-1856 so it not only has some history, it is history. I sometimes have a straight refurbished to make it look better by changing scales or polishing the blade to bring it back to new again but, this type of razor deserves to be left the way it is. I'm almost certain the scales are antique Ivory or possibly bone. The thinness of the scales and the lack of small checking that is common in bone trends to being Ivory. At any rate, I love this Wedge. With it's manufacturing time span, it is quite possible that this razor belonged to a pioneer who came to Oregon on the Oregon trail and actually used this razor during those times. I like to think of when, where and who might have used a vintage razor like this one to appreciate it's purpose and the men who used it before me. I am not only a straight razor user, I am a collector of history from a time in our countrys past that needs to be preserved. :eatdrink047:

Shave Photo 543SM.jpg

stingraysrock, Llyr, MoAllen and 20 others like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

'Cool' is an apt description. I altered the Futur by 'cooling' the hues from the overly-warm golden tone from the incandescent lighting to give the razor it's more 'natural' chrome appearance. :cool:

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

TOOZday

Pre: Hot Shower, Homemade Citrus PSO
    Razor: Merkur Futur (set@1.5)
    Blade: Merkur Super
    Brush: Omega Pro 48
    Lather: Spiek cream, Shea Shave butter crème
    Shave: Two passes + touch-up
    Post: Cold water rinse, Blackriver BayRum AS, Shea butter cream

I didn't need much of a shave this morn due to yesterday's more aggressive, extra-close Futur shave. Dialed back the Futur to a mild 1.5 & had a real nice 2-pass shave.
    I enjoyed it so much, I even shaved off my soul patch :eek: I've worn for years. Sure makes it easier to shave the whole chin now! I wonder if my wife will notice.....;)

[​IMG]

stingraysrock, mjemec, Llyr and 19 others like this.
  14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Tuesday 10/29

Hot shower
    RazoRock glycerin
    RazoRock Nonno Michelino
    Omega 48
    1920 Gillette OC IMG_0001-002.JPG
    Wilkinson Sword

Total treat of a DFS.

stingraysrock, Llyr, MoAllen and 18 others like this.
  15. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning, October 28, 2013

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
    Proglide cartridge (18)
    Barbasol 'Skin Conditioner' shave cream
    Witch Hazel
    Family Dollar Spice aftershave

Shaving is a way of life, it is tied with memory and emotion, the joy of a comforting ritual by yourself. I've been enjoying my working man shaves, my kit reminds me of my brother's kit, and I feel a sense of home. The Family Dollar aftershave reminds me of Grandpa Wahlberg, a Minnesotan farmer who died in 1990. Barbasol connects to my dad and my own past before I tried wet-shaving. I love this ritual of shaving the face. Aces!

[​IMG]

fishcrow, Llyr, MoAllen and 17 others like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod102913.jpg
    Dove Men's Face Wash​
    VDH Deluxe Shave Soap​
    Parker Pure Badger Brush​
    '62 Gillette Slim (9)​
    ASCO Super Stainless (4)​
    CWR​
    Dickinson's Witch hazel​
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS​
    The VDH Deluxe soap face-lathered well with the Parker brush. Today's shave with the Gillette Slim set wide open (9) took two passes and touch-up on the neck area. It was an excellent shave that ended with Dickinson's WH followed by Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I am cool and ready to go. Nice...​

17. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
    Razor: Merkur HD
    Blade: SuperMax – Super Platinum
    Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger
    Soap: La Toja Stick
    Aftershave: HoneyBee Garden Bay Rum Aftershave
    Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser.

A new day, a new shave with a new stick. This time I used the La Toja stick, an item I seldom pick out of the Den. I do not know why, since it is a very good product. And tonight’s shave was no exception. It created a very thick and creamy lather.

The SuperMax Super Platinum blade was used for the first time, and although it was a pretty good blade I do not think tonight’s performance will reward it a place among the top ten. But it was not unpleasant and did not tug. I guess I can compare it to the green Astra blade. A middle of the road blade that performs just fine

Another first was the use of the HoneyBee Garden Aftershave splash. It is supposed to be Bay Rum scented, but I did notice neither bay nor rum. At first it smelled like a grumpy old man. The kind that every kid in the neighbourhood makes fun off, but never to his face.
    But that changed almost immediately after I applied it to the face. The grumpy character disappeared and you might say it turned its frown upside down.
    It was a more refreshing scent. Still an old man scent, but this time it smelled like someone’s favourite grandpa

I had planned on using an aftershave balm from Bulldog, but it smelled rather “funky” so I threw it away and replaced it with my favourite moisturiser.

29.10.2013.JPG

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have been using the "Shea Moisture African Black Soap Facial Wash & Scrub Beard Lifter" (They really need to shorten their product names!) in the pre-shave shower for the past 3 days and have found it really does a great job of prepping the whiskers. Pre-shower, I can barely feel my feeble facial growth, but post-shower, it is considerably rougher ('bristlier'). So I consider the products title of "Beard Lifter" to be a truism, at least in my experience.
    [​IMG]

fishcrow, ram57, Llyr and 4 others like this.
  19. Wes Murphy

Wes Murphy Well-Known Member

Razor: '63 Slim
    Blade: Astra SP
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Soap: Stirling Barbershop
    Aftershave: Osage Rub

Near BBS for first time. Tried 7 O'Clock Plat but tug was terrible. Osage Rub was great.

fishcrow, ram57, Llyr and 11 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It will certainly get your attention, particularly if you have an nicks or irritation!

Llyr likes this.