SoS: October 28, 2013 - November 3, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Wednesday

CeraVe facial cleanser
    Mike's Natural soap, unscented
    Oscar11 custom brush with HIS knot
    EJ DE89
    Super Iridium blade
    Alum block
    CeraVe lotion

I really like the lather from Mike's soap. My puck is almost gone, but happily two refill bars arrived in the mail yesterday. :)
    The passes, smooth, comfortable shave!
    [​IMG]

2. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

PRE: Hot Towel + MR GLO Soap + Am. Crew PSO
    BRUSH: 26mm Striped Manchurian WW
    SOAP: Mike's Natural Barber Shop (in Honor of Stick Week)
    RAZOR: Merkur Futur (4)
    BLADE: Gillette Silver Blue

SS_131030.jpg

Haven't used this setup in a while...A great result! Have a great day all!

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

WEDNEzDay
    Early morning Shave

a. PRE: Hot shower; Shea Face Wash & Scrub; homemade Cedarwood PSC
    b. RAZOR: 2011 Mühle R41 Grande
    c. BLADE: Personna Lab (Day 1)
    d. BRUSH: New Omega 626 Silvertip Badger
    e. LATHER: Shea Moisture Shave Butter Créme
    f. SHAVE: Two passes & touch-up
    g. POST: Cold water rinse; Alum block, Shea Butter Balm

Super smooth shave with a hyper-aggressive razor thanks in part to the excellent lubrication qualities of the 'Shave butter créme' (sounds more like a dessert!).
    New Omega is luxuriously soft and an ideal match for 'lathering' (spreading) the crème on the face. ONE minor lapse of attention and the Mühle bit me on the throat; the first nick I've ever had with this razor.
    Still a great shave, a two-pass BBS result!

Happy HumpDay All!

[​IMG]

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice photo Chris! Dreamlike quality to it! :happy088:

5. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Wednesday 10-30-2013

11/16 Early Greaves & Sons, Full Hollow, Square Point in Bone
    Proraso PSC
    Rose of Bulgaria SC
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Semogue 820 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Rose of Bulgaria ASL

An outstanding shave this morning from the Greaves & Sons. (1817-1850) In 1823, the Greaves family built Sheaf Works, it was the first sign that great changes were underway in the Sheffield cutlery trade. The main block of Sheaf Works (still standing in Maltravers Street near the Wicker) was the centrepiece of the first large-scale factory in the town. The short derringer trigger style tang of this Greaves puts it around 1835. These are excellent shavers and a great example of English Sheffield steel razors which were bought from English exporters and used by the Gentlemen of the USA back in those days. It's hard to believe that I am shaving this morning with a razor that was available back in the days of President Andrew Jackson the seventh President of the United States (1829–1837).
    That is what makes shaving with these vintage razors so interesting! :cool:

Shave Photo 550SM.jpg

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed, Bruce. Being a big history buff myself, I always appreciate your thorough descriptions and historical references when it comes to the wonderful equipment you post!:signs107:

Llyr, crackstar, Ryan B and 2 others like this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Stick Week
    Wednesday:

Cetaphil Face Bar
    Provence Sante Verlaine Stick
    EJ Best Medium
    Dovo Natural
    Witch Hazel
    Afta Fresh
    Brut Dominant

The French sure know how to make awesome soaps.:happy036:

8. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Thanks Kevin. I have to give props to manah for the history segment of my post as he is the source of much of my information. I hope that my posts in some humble way inspires others to respect and appreciate these old treasures of our shaving heritage by giving some of their amazing provenance. BTW, I love that new Omega Silvertip you were sporting this morning! :happy088:

Llyr, crackstar and Leo K. like this.
  9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Wednesday morning, October 30, 2013

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
    Proglide cartridge (19)
    Omega 20102 Pro boar bristle brush,
    Arko soap, lather with hot water—
    Witch Hazel
    Family Dollar Spice aftershave

A wonderful easy close shave this morning, luxurious with the Arko and Omega brush! I think it's time to retire the cartridge soon, it's not hurting but I can tell it's getting dull now. Aces!

[​IMG]

10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Mergress XL (S4)
    Blade: PoliSilver SI (D6)
    Brush: Amber 28mm TGN finest 2 band
    Pre: Musgo Real Lime Basil Oil Soap
    Soap: Le Père Lucien Savon du Barbier
    Aftershave: Floid Blue

This morning I tried out Le Père Lucien for the first time and first impressions is that this is a very good soap. Only took me eight seconds worth of swirl with my two band to load the brush and then transfer to my dirty bird. 1.5 scuttle. Whipped up for 20 seconds added couple drops from the dribble port and within 40 seconds or so enough yogurt thick lather for at least three passes, though I only needed two for todays shave. My blade glided over my face with ease and I had to check my cheek to make sure I was cutting through the whiskers. Very impressed with this soap. Have severe sinus issues but aroma came through as a light lavender and hint of citrus? Normally I do not use the same shave soap on consecutive days as I like to rotate but I think I will use this for couple of more days to really give this soap a test.

11. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Midweek Shave! October 30, 2013- Another great day in the Ozarks, a little rainy but not complaining!

Prep: Hot shower, St. Ives blemish control apricot scrub
    Pre Shave: Homemade Pre shave oil with Peppermint Essential, Tea Tree, and Glycerin.
    Soap: Taylor Of Old Bond Street- Lemon & Lime sampler
    Brush: "No Name" badger hair brush, was a nice flea market find!
    Razor: Gem Micromatic
    Blade: Gem Personna SE
    Post Shave: Osma Alum "Bloc d' Alun"
    Aftershave: Dr. Dickinson's Witch hazel infused with peppermint, also added 3 drops of "The Shave Den's M-bomb".

Notes: This was my second time using my Gem Micromatic, its a great shaver and i can tell with every shave it keeps getting better. I encourage anyone to pick one of these razor up and give it a go, you wont be dissapointed! As for the Taylor of old bond street Lemon and lime cream, i was super impressed it gave an amazing lather and great protection to my face. Once i go threw the sampler i will be buying this cream and throwing it into my rotation!
    midweak.jpg

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you have the right blade in it, those Gems are great shavers. I have an open comb and a clog-pruf but not the bullet tip. I also have the TOBS lavender and I love it. It lathers so well and provides great protection.

ram57, Llyr, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  13. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

You are exactly right they are amazing shaver's, i picked that one up at a antique store for $10. I didn't really wanna pay that much but it was in amazing shape so i fell into it haha. I think after seeing how the lemon and lime performed any of the TOBS cream would be great to have!

Norseman, Llyr, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    sod103013.jpg
    Dove Men's Face Wash​
    Proraso Sandalwood Shave Cream​
    Semogue 1305 Boar Brush​
    '62 Gillette Slim (9)​
    ASCO Super Stainless (5)​
    CWR​
    Dickinson's Witch hazel​
    Pinaud Clubman AS​
    Another great shave. Love the way the Proraso Sandalwood face-lathers and smells. The Semogue boar has both backbone and softness and lathers almost effortlessly. Set wide open on 9, the Gillette slim continues to yield great shaves. That is one great razor. Finished off with Dickinson's WH and some Pinaud Clubman.​

Norseman, wknicholas, ram57 and 15 others like this.
  15. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Previous formulation Italian labeled Proraso. Cold water soak on the badger brush. Valet Autostrop using a modified Treet blade. Vintage garage sale soup bowl to lather with. Gentlemen's Best after shave for the final mentholated zing.
    [​IMG]

Norseman, wknicholas, ram57 and 17 others like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That blade looks pretty aggressive. How's it shave?

Llyr and crackstar like this.
  17. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

It's pretty aggressive all right. ;)
    It's no 2011 R41 though.

Llyr, Jayaruh and crackstar like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That razor reminds me of what shaving might be like using this... ;)
    [​IMG]

ChiefShaver, Norseman, ram57 and 4 others like this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette LC New Bulldog
    Shark SC
    Oscar11 Purple Omega
    Institut Karite Soap
    Alum
    Superior 70

The Shark SC is the last blade from my first 100 blade purchase a few years ago. A nice comfortable shave.

20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Wednesday

Cella face lathered with TGN 22mm Pure
    EJ89 with Dorco ST301 (2)
    3 passes and finish with Nivea Energy

I wasn't happy with the Erasmic yesterday, so pulled out my favorite soap to give the Dorco's a fair evaluation. Although the Dorco was OK, I don't like the Dorco's as much as Astra SP or Personna Labs. The Cella was so much better than the Erasmic though, it convinced me to get rid of the Erasmic.