SoS: October 3, 2016 - October 9, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD October 9, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick L1 injector
    Brush: Semogue 1520 boar
    Lather: Stirling Barbershop
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Stirling Barbershop aftershave, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG

Quick and easy one pass shave this afternoon. Hope you all have a great rest of your Sunday!

SOTD 10-9-16.JPG

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Perry.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Levels move downward at a snail's pace.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

that's a good sign for us users

Douglas Carey, ram57 and clint64 like this.
  5. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Merkur 1904 open comb razor
    generic DE blade
    Maggards 22mm black synthetic brush
    Tabac soap
    Skin Bracer aftershave

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober-een!

October 9

Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, The Veg

You may notice that I'm posting this in the evening. Of course, I shaved this morning and just now finished the day to post. You'll also notice, perhaps, I live in St. Louis (ok, well suburb) and yes, the two candidates are debating less than 30 miles from me. You'll also notice I'm doing this and not watching. Sometimes it's better just to do what you love and ignore the noise, know what I mean? I'll also say it's good to live upwind of Wash U tonight. No chance of any foul odors drifting my way. And with that quick message I'll pivot to the shave.

Final day for the Tomy this morning and I was hoping that it didn't turn into a deadly object at a wide open 9 on the Slim. Yesterday's two pass BBS was a surprise and an awesome one, totally unexpected. If 6 is the setting that delivered that, 9 may be the one that removes skin layers. The first pass was still very smooth if a bit edgy. I think with the 9 I can do enough angle movement that it creates the potential for some harshness. But, I held it close to the cap and maintained that throughout the pass. And again through the second pass. And at that point I needed two very small touch ups on the neckline to again get the baby. Two days in a row. Baby in two. With an obscure blade that I wouldn't have heard of without doing the Grand Blade Trial. Well, heard of it, wouldn't have touched it. I think we have a winner in the Israeli pool of blades.

Having said that I'll be putting some notes together on the Israeli grouping to go along with the past couple of weeks. My quick review is.......very fine steel and blade production across the entire group. Crystal/Qball and the Tomy would be the best of the best. But there were no bad blades.

The holiday is three weeks from tomorrow. Looks like this Russian family has their costumes figured out.

[​IMG]
    Oh. Sorry. That's Ivan's family portrait when he was a young boy. Before the Russian Army ran the pounds off. My bad.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

October 9

Gillette New LC finished in Gun-Kote Bronze by Delta Echo Razor Works
    Feather blade (2)
    Kent BK4 brush
    Tabac shave stick
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum aftershave

Yesterday was a no-shave day, so this was my first shave in OCtober with two days of growth. It was the best shave I've had this month.

Tabac is one of the best overall soaps I've ever used. It excels in cushioning and provides good slickness. Reports on the scent are mixed, but I like it.

My first pass consisted of short, slightly overlapping WTG strokes on my face and careful ATG strokes beginning at the jaw line and extending down my neck. My trouble spots are my upper lip (prone to nicks and irritation), chin and jaw line (beard grows in different directions), and lower neck (prone to nicks, weepers, and irritation). Good skin stretching obviously helps. My second pass consisted of ATG strokes on my face, except my upper lip where I shave XTG. I performed a combination of XTG and ATG strokes on my neck.

The end result was a near-BBS shave. I describe many of my shaves in this way, as I have to really work my trouble spots to get a true BBS. For me, it's not worth the potential for the irritation. I'm still reasonably smooth 12 hours later, and I'd be happy with this shave any day of the week.

I hope everyone had a blessed Sunday.

8. Vesalio

Vesalio Well-Known Member

SOTN Head 09-10-16
    Mike's pine & cedarwood soap, LS badger silvertip brush 30mm, Robert Klass Solingen 6/8, Myrsol agua balsamica. A good shave. Good night friends
    [​IMG]

Enviado desde la guarida del lobo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.