SoS: September 1, 2014 - September 7, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 31, 2014.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is that time ...

Happy Birthday!

PatrickA51, vwp528, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

:greet002:

PatrickA51, vwp528, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  3. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Monday September 1, 2014 (Labor Day!)

FaTip/Weber Wave w/ Astra SP
    Klar Kabinett SS
    Georgetown Scuttle
    Semogue 820 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Gold Bond Moisturizing Lotion
    Rose of Bulgaria ASL

Just got back from my Potentates Trip and I didn't shave for three days so...Time to call in the FaTip for a good mowing. The FaTip plowed through the noxious growth and left my face (neck) slicker than frog snot. Feels great shaving again as that was the longest without a shave (3 days) I have gone for more years than I can remember. I really enjoyed the adventure and being away from the office for a few days. :bounce015: I didn't take my laptop so that I wouldn't be tempted to fall back into the work mode again. Note the picture below RazorBurn and Holyrollah..I really enjoyed the Clam Chowder and Sourdough when I was at Fisherman's Wharf. Excellent! :eatdrink020:

It will take awhile to catch up with the stuff I missed this weekend. Have a great week Gentlemen! :happy005:

Shave Photo 285SM.jpg

DSC09506SMMMMM.jpg

Dis is da place! Yumm Yumm!

PatrickA51, moz68, vwp528 and 21 others like this.
  4. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Pier 39. If I remember right Fog Harbor Fish House is near the front of the pier on the left overlooking the boat slips. The best claim chowder and Cioippino on the pier. When I lived in San Jose, wife and I would head up to Pier 39 or China Town to eat every 4-6 months and Fog Harbor was a usual stop while SF.

Welcome back and I bet you are nice and refreshed from your holiday away from home.

PatrickA51, vwp528, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Now I'm hungry.. Did you get to see AT&T Park? Looks like you had a nice time.

PatrickA51, vwp528, ram57 and 3 others like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I really enjoyed my first shave with it.
    After reading positive reviews of their new soaps on this forum I pretty much knew I'd be buying full sizes rather than samples so I came home with Lilac, Limes & Bergamot, and Orange Menthol. What surprised me was I presumed I'd come home with Fougere Sauvage but opening a jar for a sniff test didn't grab me like the three I purchased. Flavor number five is Mango Sage Tea and I can't remember why I didn't grab one of those but I also purchased a bunch of other stuff so I may have been saving something for next trip.
    Their soaps are soft and they put 5 oz in an 8 oz jar so all you have to do is stick your brush in the jar, give it 8 or 10 swirls (double that for hard water) and go to your beard. No pre-soaking the puck, the water/soap ratio is easy to figure out, and no waste. The scents don't hide but they don't overpower you either. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that for as strong as the scent is initially that it nearly completely faded by the end of the pass. Some might think it too strong to start with but I think they've got it just right.
    I used the Limes & Bergamot on Saturday and I can see why Bob has it in his top 5.
    Today's experience with the Lilac mirrored my shave on Saturday. While you may find other soaps slicker or thicker (by degree), the Maggard product is certainly slick enough and thick enough even in hard water. They provide a very nice glide with plenty of cushion without making billows of whip cream on your face and without being drippy. In a side by side comparison, do I think GoldDachs makes a better lather? Yes, but only by degree and it's very close.
    The only thing I noticed with the Lilac was at the very end of the pass it seemed that the lather was starting to get dry. That being said, I tend to notice this with any of my flowery products more so than any other scents so I'm not sure if it's simply my perception or if flower scented soaps/creams dry faster than other families of scents.
    Sorry for the long answer to your short question. "How is it?" you asked. Great product. You need to order some.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    PatrickA51, vwp528, ram57 and 6 others like this.
  7. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Happy Birthday Brent!!! :greet002::git:

PatrickA51, vwp528, ram57 and 4 others like this.
  8. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Monday, September 1, 2014 - Happy Labor Day :)

Prep: Warm shower, Cetaphil Lotion
    Razor: Schick Injector G8
    Blade: Personna (3)
    Lather: Proraso Red Cream
    Brush: Oscar11 w/ Omega 20248 Knot
    Aftershave: Master Lilac Vegetol

Wow! What a way to start September. I planned to shave yesterday evening, but never got around to it. I had a fantastic afternoon shave that could not be any closer. This is only my second time using the Veg and I think I really like it.

Have a great day!

PatrickA51, moz68, vwp528 and 20 others like this.
  9. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday! :greet002:

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 4 others like this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Today is a day of first. It is the first day of a new month, the first day in a new job and the first time in a long long time that the Merkur Futur has made an appearance in my shaves. And in honour of that, I am calling this entry:

Episode 1 – The Futur Menace​

The Merkur Futur razor has long been hiding in the shadows of my den, biding its time and waiting for the right opportunity to strike, and that was today.

It did not take long before it proved how much of a menace this razor can be. I had a small outbreak of “teenagism” right under my nose that was quickly and efficiently beheaded. Trying to stop the blood with alum block and that Proraso goo proved futile, and I had to put on a band-aid to contain the flow.
    In fact I now look like a band-aid Hitler, and I have to say that look does not become me.

Apart from that little incident, the razor was quite interesting to use. I started on level 4 on one side, and continued on level 3 on the other side of my face, and it was easy to tell that the last setting gave me the best and most comfortable shave.

For the next pass, I lowered the razor to 2.5, and it went from being a menace to a soft fluffy kitten razor. It was so mild that I hardly felt the blade. I adjusted the angle somewhat and that helped with the cutting. It was still very mild, but aggressive enough to finish the shave in a satisfactory manner.

Now I have to change my band-aid again, so I hope you'll excuse me..

Face Soap: Fitjar Preshave Soap
    Razor: Merkur Futur
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Brush: Merkur Futur
    Aftershave Lotion: Kramperts Bay Rum
    Aftershave Balm: L’Occitane Shea Butter

DSC_8142.JPG

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

is it common to change an adjustable razor between passes?
    I dialed in to where I liked it the most and haven't changed them since.

12. Norseman

That is a very good question, especially since I have no idea. I am trying to figure out this razor myself. :)
    So hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can provide a good answer

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 2 others like this.
  13. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Thanks Guy! You are correct about the location and the Best Clam Chowder I have ever had. I can see why you make the trip every few months; it is well worth the trip. :happy088:

They still have some left so you better hurry down there and get some! :D I didn't get to see AT&T Park in San Fran but I did get to see Safeco Field in Seattle where my Mariners and Seahawks play. Had a great sandwich and some adult beverages at the Sports Bar right near the Space Needle.
    We went to the Marine's Memorial Club & Hotel in San Fran the night we left and had more adult beverages in the Bar then went next door to the Italian Restaurant on the corner. What a great place for a delicious dinner and some great Nappa Valley Wines. If you get a chance to eat there you will not be disappointed. One of the highlights of my trip! Great weather all the time (Thanks for putting in a good word for me to the Chamber of Commerce!) :D

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I would say the sweet spot lays somewhere between hitlerlip and fluffy kitten.

I personally feel that a razors aggressiveness cover poorer technique.
    a master jedi can achieve the closest of shaves with the mildest of razors.
    look for the place where you are shaving comfortably. think of it like this;
    if you hold the mild razor at the correct angle, it performs well. too much angle, the shaver feels like nothing is happening( maybe nothing is) too little and it scrapes and cuts the stubble too long, or did nothing.
    the key is in the angle, consistency, and patients. I like to listen to the blade as it slices the hairs.
    just as obewon told luke to wear the blast helmet while practicing with the train bot. you should listen to the blade.
    hope this helps

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations on the new job.

16. Norseman

Lol, I concour

That's a very interesting observation, and you might be on to something. I will make a note of that and use it in another episode. :)

Thanks a lot :)

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  17. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

18. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Dapper!

19. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SoS - Menthol Monday, September 1, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Homemade Lime PSO
    Brush: Simpsons Duke 3
    Soap: Stirling MITA
    Razor: '56 ball-end Tech
    Blade: Astra SP (5)
    Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

I'd swear that the Stirling Lemon Chill Witch Hazel is even colder than the Glacial Lemon Chill puck that I have. This stuff is brutally cold! Bring that it's still about 110°F here, the WH is a welcome relief form the heat. Another reason why I love Menthol Mondays!

- Don

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

For the record, I start on 7 for the first pass and then go to 3 for the second pass whenever I use my adjustable.

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 5 others like this.