SoS: September 1, 2014 - September 7, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Great razor! And the Feather blade is about all I use except to break in a new razor. My face can't handle a boar.:eatdrink047:

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 2 others like this.
  2. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I agree - I like this razor with Feather blades.

A good boar knot, like this Omega 49, is surprising. There is some scrubbiness, but I am coming to like it better than many scritchy badger brushes.

My favorite brushes are still synthetics, especially HIS.

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 2 others like this.
  3. ObiDon

Thanks! It was my first vintage find. It's called the The Weekender by Metalfield of NY. Art Deco from the late 1920s. I love the history behind all of these great pieces. It came in a leather case, and the lid still has the mirror on the inside. The tube in the middle is for stick soap, and the switch on the side pops a comb out of the end.
    image.jpg

4. ObiDon

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. She will now watch over you from a better place. I lift my glass to her and you. God Bless.

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  5. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Awesome! A real beauty! Congrats on the find. :happy088:

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 4 others like this.
  6. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SoS - Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Lime PSO
    Brush: WD 24/47 silvertip
    Soap: Cella
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
    Aftershave: Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

- Don

PatrickA51, vwp528, moz68 and 22 others like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Soon! It will be revealed soon!

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sorry for your loss, Patrick. My condolences. :)

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Patrick my condolences on the loss of your Aunt!

10. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Cella Extra Extra Purissima & suribachi
    Brush - Ever Ready wood restored with 22/44 2-band
    Razor - Boker 5/8 Good as Gold

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

[​IMG]

:eatdrink013:

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here on the 9/3/2014 SOTD is the picture of the handle that was selected!

[​IMG]

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140903.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dove Men's Face Wash
    TABAC Shaving Soap
    VDH Natural Boar
    Gillette 20s Old Type
    Wilkinson Sword Stainless
    CWR
    Thayers Cucumber WH
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The TABAC face-lathered very easily with my customized VDH Natural Badger brush. Two passes with my Gillette 20s Old Type and Wilkinson Sword Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice choice...

PatrickA51, vwp528, Llyr and 5 others like this.
  14. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

September 2.
    Sabre Boar
    MWF
    Gillette Y4 Fat Handle Tech
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (2)
    Aubrey Northwoods ASB
    Vintage Old Spice
    A great shave with today's setup. The tech is a mild razor, but paired with a sharp blade it gives me as good a shave as I get from my aggressive razors, the open combs and the single edge's.
    [​IMG]

15. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

SOTD

September 2, 2014

Prep: Hot shower. Neutrogena Face Wash.

Razor: Weishi 9306-H

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow

Lather: van der Hagen pink

Brush: van der Hagen boar

After: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Well, I think I found the reason I cut myself up so much the other day: the Dorco blades, which came with both the MTO and the Weishi I used tonight. I got a sampler packet in the mail today of some Gillette 7 O'clocks (yellow) along with some Astras and Feathers, and so I decided to try the Gillette instead of the Dorco brand I'd first started wet shaving my head with. What a *total* difference! BBS in two passes, with only a small weeper from the other day that I re-opened on nearly the last stroke when I got too cocky. But other than that one minor mishap, it's the smoothest shave I've had yet.

Definitely not going back to the Dorco blades ever. Hoping one of my "new to me" vintage models shows up soon so I can try something besides the Weishi or the MTO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409715080.745102.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, Patrick. FWIW, I think I'm about 20ish years younger than you and I lost my last close relative about 10 years ago. The price of being the youngest in an old family, I think. I have a handful of cousins, and they sound a lot like yours. Something I've found is that family has nothing to do with blood.

PatrickA51, ObiDon, vwp528 and 4 others like this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Evening Shave...

Pre: Noxzema
    Razor: Gem G-Bar
    Blade: Gem SS
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Cream: Proraso Blue

Blue and Clubman go well together.

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

[​IMG]

This shave was good for the most part. The lather was very thick, luxurious, slick, plenty of cushion, and the skincare seems to be real good. The scent is a mix between lavender and cedarwood. It's very nice.

This ER 1912 is a good razor. It was really smooth and gave me a close, smooth shave. But not without nicks.

I keep opening up old wounds on my upper lip and on my neck right behind my chin. I don't know where all this started, but I've been having problems with that lately. It's always on the second pass. I think I'll forgo the second pass for tomorrow's shave.

19. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Episode II - Attack of the Cream​

I am a soap guy... sort off.
    I like the notion of soaps, I like the wole concept of loading the brush and the idea that soap is the original lathermaker and all that.
    I am not sure how to explain it. And that's probably why I use soap for most of my shaves.
    However, if I am going to be honest with myself, I do believe I prefer the performance of creams. So every once in a while I pick a cream out of my den and it rises to the occasion and blows the "competition" away.

Today's shave was like that. It was a morning shave, the first one in a long time. Time was of the essence so I went for the cream. A cream that is also a wake me up/pick me up kind of cream.
    I am of course talking about the legendary green Proraso.

I still used the Futur razor, but following the excellent advice from Mr. David, the Gentleman from Central Florida, I dialed down the razor to level 2 and concentrated more of using proper technique, and less with the lack of aggressiveness.
    And it worked pretty well. I got a good close shave, with some irritation. Probably due to using too much pressure. Too eager for my own good, I guess :)
    But it was a most excellent shave that I will remember to the end of my day.

Face Soap: Fitjar Preshave Soap
    Razor: Merkur Futur
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger
    Aftershave Lotion: Lucido
    Aftershave Balm: Proraso White Balm

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

There will another game for the Mariners to strut their stuff....and another time to hook up and hang...Hopfully when you have more time....Glad you made the scene though...Downtown Seattle is smokin, isn't it? One of the prettiest skylines I've ever had the pleasure.....

Glad your trip was a blast and your back home safe and sound...;)