SoS: September 1, 2014 - September 7, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

@Patrick So sorry to see this man....You have my sincerest condolences, man...There just aren't any words....

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey man....things starting to shape up over at the Shotwell Shave-cave....;)
    Those Gillettes will put a little bounce in that Weishi's step....and a good brush and soap....and I love the Ice Blue Velva.....Yep...I you did get a fine shave today, congrats.
    BTW, what you got incoming?....Did I hear Vintage?

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

SOTD for Wednesday 03Sep14
    Sotd Set Up.jpg

Left to Right; Whipped Dog 30/65mm Silver Tip Badger Brush; VDH Luxury Mug Set Loaded VDH Luxury Soap ; Above the Tie Atlas R-1 88mm Kronos Handle;
    Pacific Shaving Co. All Natural Shaving Oil; Wilkinson Sword DE Blades Black Container ; Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails

Shower & Pre-Shave:

Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
    Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo - Extra Strength
    Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care For Men Bar Soap
    Pacific Shaving Co. All Natural Shaving Oil
    Face Towel Soaked in "Ice Cold Water"

Deodorant's :
    Mennen Speed Stick

Razor & Razor Blades:
    Wilkinson Sword DE Blades {3}
    ATT Atlas R-1 88mm Kronos Handle

Shaving Mug & Shaving Soap & Brush:
    VDH Luxury Mug Set
    VDH Luxury Shave Soap
    Whipped Dog 30/65mm Silver Tip Badger Black&White Marbled Resin Handle

After Shave Balm's:
    RazoRock Ultimate Aftershave
    Nivea After Shave Balm

After Shave:
    Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails A/S

Being as "She Who Must be Obeyed" has another appointment on Wednesday Morning, with the Surgeon that did her TKR (Knee Replacement). I have already showered and shaved tonight before I get ready to go to bed tonight. I decided to use my Above the Tie Atlas R-1 88mm Kronos Handle again tonight, I again used the WTG-XTG-ATG method. Being as it has worked well and produces a great DFS Shave. I did get another BBS Shave tonight. Also I did get a BBS Shave again and I did not have any "Nick's or Weeper's" using this method. Also I did another "Ice Cold Water Shave" it was another superb shave, with BBS results. I used to hate to shave with "Cold Water" but using "Cold Water" is almost like learning a new superlative way to produce Superb results. I will continue using my Wilkinson Sword DE Blades. I did put in a New Razor Blade tonight. I decided to make another pass with my Above The Tie Atlas R-1 88mm Kronos Handle I did 2 passes total this evening. I did get a "Rudy Castiel Clean Used Car" aka "Rudy Castiel Clean Shave" aka BBS Shave! Tonight I didn't feel any little Razor Burn on my lower neck area, but I did use some RazoRock Alum Block. Tomorrow in the morning I will also put on some more Nivea Aftershave Balm, before the Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails A/S splash. In the morning I might use "Captain's Choice Lime" A/S. Being as "She Who Must be Obeyed" enjoys the scent of it. I think I will let "She Who Must be Obeyed" decide which A/S. This morning SWMbO choose Captain's Choice North A/S. Being as I perch for people to use the thirty day , maybe I should try the Thirty day Rule with my Above The Tie R-1 Razor. I got a BBS Shave to night , no "Nicks or Weepers" for sure and no Razor Burn of any kind. Hope you all have a great day tommorow.

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I'm glad you got a good shave, im doing that with my new slim =) starting at a low setting and work myself up.

Does a preshave soap add a lot to the shave? =)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wednesday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    #6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/Rapira day 3
    Ingram Green SC :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Lubriderm Unscented Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055:
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Dolce & Gabbana EdT

Another awesome shave with so little effort which I enjoyed very much. The Ingram Green cream from Egypt is a good deal cooler than the regular version in the white and blue tube and it has the same nice scent and rich lather. The Aqua Velva was a most delightful finish and provided lots of extra cooling which is necessary because of the hot weather we're getting lately. ;) :D

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Wednesbayrum
    Superb shave with B&M bay rum. My face feels great after three smooth passes with my New LC. My HIS lived up to its lather monster nickname. I put a little water in the bowl where this B&M sample lives, and went at it with a dry brush. Lush, yogurty lather quickly issued forth... The photo is after I lathered for the first pass.

Prep: RR/HTGAM lime menthol
    Soap: B&M Bay Rum
    Brush: HIS lather monster
    Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
    Blade: Personna lab blue (2)
    AS: Synergy Bay Rum Tonic
    [​IMG]

7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Odin's Day:

Prep: Hot shower, Healthy Accents Daily Renewal cleanser, TSD Jasmine Sambac Preshave balm
    Brush: Simpson 56 Best Badger
    Soap: Ginger's Garden Oakmoss
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Baili Super Blue Blade (1)
    Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG (1, 2, 3)
    Post: Cold water splash, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Pinaud Clubman AS splash
    Cologne: Xeryus by Givenchy

After yesterday's unsatisfying shave, I had to change some things up. Once more the Simpson brush was the tool of choice to build the (excellent) Ginger's Garden Oakmoss into a lather. I swapped out the Piccolo for the milder 41c, loaded with a brand new Baili blade. Now, I hadn't enjoyed this particular blade much before, but 1) it was time to give it another evaluation and 2) after yesterday, it had an easy basis of comparison. As before, there was some notable tugging on the first pass, but then the blade almost magically smoothed out, enough that I had no qualms about chasing, and catching, the baby with an ATG 3rd pass. One tiny weeper on my upper lip was the only indication I'd pressed my luck at all. Perhaps the Baili blades just need to be hand stropped.

8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Yes it does. It makes my face and my beard clean, nice and neat. And therefore also easier to shave. (Probably in the same way as regular soap.)
    But since Fitjar used to sell these as a preshave soap, and since placebo is a good friend of mine, I imagine this soap to be superior to regular soap in that regard.
    If only it could make me beautiful as well. But it is not a miracle soap, just a preshave soap :)

9. Omelmad

Thanks =)

Now I just hope you find a soap that makes you beautiful=P

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    art of shaving pure badger
    Coates original almond
    1906 Gillette new standard
    Gillette 7o' clock green(2)
    Skin Bracer original
    today's shave was nice. Coates is awesome, shame it's not made anymore. great shave from my oldest razor. finished with Bracer.
    hope y'all have a good day
    20140903_074130-1.jpg

11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Wednesday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Cocoa Butter Bath Soap
    Soap: Barbon Cream
    Razor: Gillette Slim [6]
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip-22mmx48mm
    Aftershave: Barbon

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Barbon cream today. Platinum Lux in the Slim. I finished with Barbon AS. Always a great combination and a great shave.

Bob

[​IMG]

12. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD September 3

Prep: hot shower, cold water shave
    Razor: Slim Twist
    Blade: Treet Platinum (day 1)
    Brush: Vie-Long
    Soap: Col. Conk Lime
    Passes: 2 (WTG, XTG)

Well I got the cool lather I was looking for yesterday, even if it was a little on the wet side.

Still not the most comfortable of shaves. The Treet Platinum did perform better but it was not a huge improvement. It's possible that the slim twist just wasn't meant to be paired with a Treet blade... good thing I have other options

Two pass DFS, with a small nick by my chin...

13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Wednesday:
    hot shower w/San Francisco Soap Co Kiwi Melon bar soap
    Somersets PSO
    Gillette Fat Handle Tech 3 passes
    Rotbart Extra Dunn (5)
    EverReady boar
    Colgate soap
    Thayers unscented w/aloe
    Fine Platinum AS

Interesting shave today. Started with the SF Soap Co Kiwi Melon for my shower. This is the second soap of this brand I've tried and I really like it.
    The Fat Tech gave a predictably mild shave and the Rotbart feels like it could go past my normal 5 shaves per blade limit.
    The Colgate soap is a recent acquisition from an eclectic antique shop so I'm not sure how old it is. I soaked the puck while showering and then whipped up a pretty easy lather. The initial smell was almost enough to make me rinse off and throw it away but I persevered and either I got used to it or it faded by the end of the third pass. It reminded me of brush stink. The lather went on okay but did a drying/disappearing act before finishing each pass. I tried adding water for the third pass but only ended up with a mountain of thin foam which I repaired with more product. Not sure if I'll try this stuff again or just relegate it to the shave museum.
    Finally, the Fine Platinum aftershave is simply an excellent product and I highly recommend it.

0903140549.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    9/3
    Prep: Warm wash with Stirling Naked & Smooth
    Lather: hobbyist IanS soap
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Sharp Durablade stainless (3)

2 passes for a DFS and decided to forego any aftershave just to see how the skin feels tomorrow.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

WEDNESDAY
    Back to Work Day
    Short week due to the Labor Day holiday. This means all the week's work now gets condensed down into 3 days….
    A rare 'shave cream' morning for me—I'm mostly a soap puck shaver—so this was a change.
    Unfortunately, I managed to give myself three nice little nicks :eek: (one on the lip was quite the gusher).
    I could blame the razor, or the soap, or the brush for the bloodshed—but I remember something my grandpa telling me years ago when I'd 'help' him build something in his yard and I did something wrong..."Never blame the tool…put the blame on the one using it!" :rolleyes005: Despite the blood-letting, my face feels quite smooth and refreshed. Perhaps the tool operator needs to pay more attention to what he doing sometimes…;)

Have a blessed HumpDay, all!
    [​IMG]

16. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Are you using the straight to start and the DE to finish, or the other way around?

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    September 3, 2014

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Boost Energizing Face Wash
    Razor: Schick Injector I1
    Blade: Schick
    Lather: Palmolive Sensitive
    Brush: WD SilverTip
    Aftershave: Barbasol Brisk. HEGA
    The Palmolive Sensitive was sent to me from @Omelmad This Palmolive is everything it's made out to be, creamy, thick and protective. Thank you for the creams and HEGA! :happy088:
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That seems to be the practical sequence…

19. Omelmad

Awesome =) im glad you like this cream too=D

20. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Gillette Red Tip
    Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (D13)
    Brush: Omega 11126 boar
    Bowl: Dirty Bird Travel Scuttle
    Pre Shave Soap: MRGLO Lime
    Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Bay Rum w Lime
    Shave Cream: Taconic Bay Rum
    Aftershave: Dominica Bay Rum w lime​

[​IMG]