SoS: September 19-25 2011

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by rodd, Sep 18, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, a recommendation only, do with it as you see fit - don't soak your soap. Unless, of course, you're trying to get rid of it faster so you can buy more.

On second thought, leave your soap in water at all times. Never let it dry. (just kidding)

Second, thin lather sounds like you're using too much water in the brush. Shake it out before hitting the soap. You can always add water, but you can't take it away.

Hang in there. It'll get better. Just gotta stick with it. Any questions, just ask. Plenty of helpful folks here with great advice.

rodd and Nick A like this.
  2. ¢orey

¢orey New Member

I appreciate the advice. I never used to soak the soap but read a recommendation to do so. Tomorrow will try to use less water and see what happens. Fingers crossed...

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Ah that makes sense.

Not ever doing anything but face lathering, I forget others do.

4. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Williams week, Day one!

Lord L6 Razor
    Supermax Super Stainless Blade 2nd day
    Eterna Pure bristle brush
    New Williams Shaving soap
    Generic Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Styptic Pencil
    Aqua Velva

Yeah, I'm back to cutting myself again, had a bump on my skin this week. Though I did achieve a 3 pass, plus touch-up BBS shave.

The Soap.

I didn't have any problems lathering the Williams soap, I just soaked the brush, shook it out till nothing came out anymore, loaded with lots and lots and lots of soap. Then I loaded a little bit more, added a bit of water to the mix and lathered directly to my face, got a pretty thick, slick luxurious lather. Not near as good as the Tabac I have been using, but plenty good for a shave.

I did notice the lather didn't like to stay around as long as some of the other soaps I've been using but it didn't seem to evaporate fast enough for me to hurry my shave.

The Blade

This is the second use of the Supermax Superstainless. The Blade did alright, I can't complain. I'm not going to scream and shout and dance upon the hill tops about it. Other blades just feel better

fishcrow likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thank you ;) :biggrin:

6. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Monday Night

Imperial Shavette & 365 blade - NF2213 - Derby Menthol Cream - Alum - Aquatonic AS
    [​IMG]
    I can get a straight pretty sharp but not as sharp as a DE blade, so tonight I thought I would bring out the shavette and feel how sharp, sharp can be. A nice thing is that since my last use of a shavette my straight shaving technique has improved so I didn't nick myself. A great close shave, no irritation, but I wouldn't want to do that every shave.​

fishcrow, newb, Mechguy and 3 others like this.
  7. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Twenty years ago, when I had a steady hand, I would shave with a straight three or four times per week. Today, I would not attempt it even once. I envy those who do shave with a straight razor as it was one of the most enjoyable things I use to do.

8. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I suppose my Williams experience is exactly what theme weeks are all about.

Well, after getting a puck of Williams out of storage friday night, I just had to use it Saturday. Based on that lather I had to use it on Sunday too. Used it today as well. Frankly, I was surprised. It's not the Williams I remember. Or maybe I'm not the shaver I was 4 months ago.

OK, so the last time I used Williams I thought it was OK, but nothing to write home about. I've never had a problem lathering it. Saturday, Sunday and today, have been really good with it. Much better than I remember. Either they reformulated the soap again, or I'm getting better at using it. I always loaded the heck out of the brush, but even more so the last 3 times. Too, I'm using lidded ZipLoc XS bowls to store the soap and I put a little water in with the puck before sealing it in. Next day, the puck is somwhat softer for brush loading. Lots of soap loaded onto the brush and lots of hydration make Williams a pretty darn good soap IMO. I'm really impressed with this soap that I rejected months ago as not being worth using unless it was all I had. It'll be in the rotation from now on. I even like the lemon scent, but I always have. Made the way I've been making it lately, it was a thick, creamy, fine and dense lather, and fully hydrated I had no problem with it disappearing or even acting like it was funky at all. It was easily the equivalent of Arko or other more expensive soaps. I never thought I'd ever write that about Williams.

Again, load the crap out of the brush by whatever means you need to employ, and give it all the water the thirsty soap requires. How strange that using more soap yields a better lather. Duhhh on me!

Today:
    40s Gold Tech
    Astra test blade (2)
    Williams of course
    Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip
    Handcrafted moisturizing menthol AS

I didn't care for the Astra in my Slim set to 9. In this razor it was really good. But I won't stock a blade that I can't use in all my razors.

wyatt46 and Alebrewer like this.
  9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Monday night:
    Face: NEW Standard w/Crystal Persona
    Head: Fat Handle Tech w/Astra SP
    Vulfix VS/5 Boar Brush
    Vintage Williams (first time)
    Alum
    TSD Iced Peppermint

I've heard a few people say vintage and new Williams are similar, with vintage being slightly better. I disagree - vintage is a world better! The modern stuff is barely serviceable to me, where the lather from the vintage came quickly and was great. I also don't like the scent of modern Williams, but the old puck had a different scent that I finally placed during my ATG face pass as "old book". I'll try again tomorrow with a badger brush and hope to match tonight. Yeah and the result - BBS.

rodd likes this.
  10. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Monday morning shave:

Personna Shavette w/ Voskhod (2)
    Fatboy w/ Voskhod (1)
    EJ Best Badger
    AOS Preshave Oil
    Proraso Sensitive
    Nivea AS Balm

Today's shave took place away from home so I wasn't able to Williams it up (although I do still qualify for Menthol Monday). I did give it a shot - went into 3 different drug stores in Manhattan, not a puck of Williams in sight. I did have a good shave though and used my head for once. I had a couple days' growth on me, and where I would normally start with the shavette and have a heinous time trying to mow down all that hair, I instead started with the Fatboy. Did a quick reduction pass on 3 to get everything down to somewhat normal levels, then 3 passes with the Personna, and cleanup with the Fatboy. All in all a very pleasing shave. Fingers are crossed for tomorrow (I'm not one of those rabid Williams lovers that lurk around here as of yet).

11. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Raise your hand if your Williams is sitting in a VDH bowl! (raises hand)

12. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Hah, its the only bowl I had left that was empty!

13. Oberloser

Oberloser Well-Known Member

Merkur Futur
    with Astra SP (2)
    Semogue 830
    L`Occitane Cade SS
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS

Have a nice day! :)

[​IMG]

wyatt46, fishcrow, newb and 4 others like this.
  14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Tuesday:

Williams Shaving Soap
    Vie-Long Bombito
    Weishi Gunmetal
    Astra day 3
    alum, witch hazel, osage rub
    TSD Signature splash

fishcrow likes this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Modern Williams
    RV Finest
    Gem OCMM
    Gem Stainless PTFE
    Alum
    Superior 70 Bay Rum (Boosted)

Another excellent shave.

Asd and fishcrow like this.
  16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Tuesday From Florida!

Hot Shower
    Green Marvy Mug
    Vintage Williams
    P.C. Red (TGN Finest, 22mm Fan)
    Schick Grip
    EMS Blade (2)
    Cold Water Rag
    A.V. Blue

3 Passes = DFS+!

Another Fantastic Shave!

Have a great day Ya"ll!

Tue (1) (Medium).jpg

Asd, wyatt46, fishcrow and 6 others like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Tuesday:

Omega Wooden Handle
    Super Speed/Astor day 3
    Noxzema SC :love029::love029::love029::happy088::happy108:
    Keri unscented moisturizer
    Booster Polar Ice AS :love029::love029::love029::love029:
    JHL Cologne

Guys, you have no idea how much I love this Noxzema cream - it is by far my absolute number one favorite of all creams. Every time I shave with it, I feel so good. The Booster Polar Ice aftershave is a great finish. It smells so nice and barbershoppy. ;) :biggrin:

fishcrow likes this.
  18. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pre-shave soap: Musgo Real Glyce Lime
    Razor: Merkur Progress
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Brush: Vulfix 2234 Super
    Soap or Cream: Erasmic Cream (in the metal tube)
    A/S: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Pashana Bay Rum

Couldn't find my Williams--it hasn't been in my regular rotation and is probably with some of my other shaving stuff that gets less use. Anyway, maybe tomorrow if I can find it. Today's shave was a fine "barber shoppy" kind of shave in more or less of the Williams spirit. I enjoy the scent of the Erasmic cream, not to be confused with the Erasmic soap which has a completely different scent that I don't care for. The Pashana bay rum provided the perfect finish on this cool morning.

19. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy
    Polsilver
    Semogue 830
    Nanny's Silly Hard soap French Lavender
    Humphreys Lilac WH
    RazoRock A/S Wax

C&S Oxford & Cambridge

fishcrow likes this.
  20. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Made Lather with JM Polar ice for the third time. I lathered up, covered my face with a hot towel, and waited three minutes-was told my grandfather did this when he had time. The Fraser worked greaat as a preshave this way. I was liquefied.

The Fraser makes ample cream, ample.

EJagger DE 89​
    Hot towel start (see above), cold towel rinse​
    JM Fraser Polar Ice​
    Clubman Vanilla​

I will get some Williams today, thought I had but didn't.​
    Second Shave with the Platinum Precision Blade-I'm in Love.​

fishcrow and rodd like this.