SoS: September 19-25 2011

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by rodd, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pre-shave soap: Musgo Real Glyce Lime
    Razor: Merkur Futur
    Blade: Derby Extra
    Brush: EJ Best
    Soap or Cream: Ingram Cream
    A/S: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Proraso Splash

An excellent shave this morning. I can't believe how different the Derby blade seems when used in the Futur. This was the 5th shave on the blade and it feels like it could do a few more, but I'm going to change it. I hate to start a shave on a morning when I'm in a bit of a hurry, only to find that the blade needs changing. So five is about my limit with most blades (except Iridiums).

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never had success with it unless I used distilled water, of course I use distilled water with everything now.

fishcrow likes this.
  3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Today I tried out some new goodies I got in the mail yesterday, courtesy of TSD!

Razor - Muhle R106
    Brush - Penworks finest
    Soap - TSD Pumpkin Delight (the smell is to DIE for!!:love055:)
    Blade - Vokshod
    AS - Proraso White Balm

Well I got my little package from TSD yesterday :mail:. In it was the pumpkin delight soap and a box of vokshods. The soap smelled so good I honestly wanted to take a bite out of it. I melted it into my shave mug (via double boiler method) and let it cool for today. It was a good shave, I have having some serious issues with my badger brush and the lather from the soap was comming off really light and fluffy...not creamy (I tested it with my old boar that my daughter place with and it was rich and creamy for that brush...too bad my wife has my SOC in Israel with her:( )
    The blade was pretty good, it seemed a little more rough than the red personnas I have, so tommorrow I will try it in a different razor.

All in all though, it was a good decent shave with no irritation! Thanks TSD!

Queen of Blades and swarden43 like this.
  4. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Thursday's Shave:

Gillette Aristocrat
    Voskhod
    Semogue 830
    Vintage Williams + M-Bomb (2 drops)
    Vintage Aqua Velva
    RSC ASB

IMG_2314_1_1.JPG

rodd, battle.munky, Johnny and 2 others like this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Thursday:

EJ89L
    Voskhod
    Dridecker Special
    KMF Mint SC
    Dickenson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Sensitive Balm
    Avon Wild Country Cologne NOS

6. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Today:

Face lathered Williams, Simpson Special Pure Badger
    AutoStrop Model C (same model as the Travelin' Autostrop) w/a modified GEM SS ptfe blade
    Handcrafted Menthol AS to finish the shave

Another fantastic BBS, but with a razor and blade that I really like (no DE blade testing for awhile). This was actually my first shave with this particular razor, but it's a model C and I've been there before with other Model Cs.

The Williams acted as it always does. It starts out with an almost cotton candy feel to it, but after adding water in small amounts it exploded into lots of long lasting lather. I still think there are better soaps out there, but I've rearranged my thinking about modern Williams and it definitely has a place in a dish in my shave cabinet.

Have a great day gentlemen! (Gentle ladies too!)

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really don't have any problem lathering Williams. I am on city water about an hour north of where you live and have absolutely no idea if my water is hard or soft. It is not as fluffy as other soaps, but I do get a nice consistent protective and slick lather from it. So far this week I have a different brush each day. While I still stick with the fact that there are not soap brushes and cream brushes, some do work better then others with it. The low loft TGN finest worked better yesterday then the Rooney 3/2 Super today. I have actually come to enjoy my Semogue 2000 to most of my other brushes. It isn't that one doesn't work, my preference is just for a certain brushed based on results as it pertains to my technique.

Could it be that you are looking for too much from the modern Williams along the same lines of looking for DE blade sharpness from a straight razor? I get very good shaves from both, but they are different. I get a nice amount of cushion and slickness from Williams. I also get it from something like the Arko stick, but Arko is a much fluffier (lack of better descriptor). I don't think one is better then the other, just different.

Just some random thoughts.

Alebrewer and swarden43 like this.
  8. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wilkinson Sword classic Razor/7 o'clock Blue/Grated Palmolive in OS mug/Wee Scot/Stetson
    DSC00244.JPG
    The Sword is on a roll this week. A total stubble eliminator. It's has shaved me so close each day that every morning there really isn't much that needs mowed down. And mowing down light stubble is where this razor shines. A Blade buffing machine. The Palmolive is gracing another newly acquired OS mug. 1st Lather was awesome, but time will tell if it's worthy of earning a spot in what is considered Prime Real Estate in my shave den. Spots reserved for MWF, Tabac, and Arko.​

Have a great day, Gentlemen.​

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

DSC_0599.JPG
    Long hot shower.
    Prep Johnson Baby Oil
    Soap Vulfix
    Brush Omega 10048
    Razor Gillette SS
    Blade Rapira Platinum Lux
    Post Osage Rub
    Results A DFS, that was expectional.
    Everyone have a great Thursday!!

Sodapopjones, rodd, MRast01 and 6 others like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks Dale. You've probably hit the nail on the head - I'm looking for too much out of the Williams. You're absolutely right - it is different. As I said in my earlier post, the final results were fantastic, but I'm in it for the entire experience. And right now Williams is not helping me enjoy my shave to the fullest.

I'll keep in in the rotation, then decide once it's gone if I'll get another puck.

And sometimes random thoughts are the most insightful! :happy088:

PanChango likes this.
  11. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Hot Shower
    Selsun Blue Mentholated Hair Shampoo :Animatedfrozensmily::bounce015:
    Irish Spring Bar Soap :)
    TSD ISZ Pre-Shave Balm :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::cool:
    Frank's Finest Badger Brush ;):)
    Mama Bears Iceberg Ice Soap :Animatedfrozensmily::cool:
    Dalain d'men Shaving Cream :) For the Ultra Lather
    Dovo 5/8"
    Strop: 20 laps on carpet, 40 on leather.
    TSD Bay Rum ASM

2 passes = DFS. I went for the bowl lather on this one, and with the two soaps, I had a good amount of lather.
    [​IMG]

newb likes this.
  12. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I overlooked this question.

I have very soft water. I can't say that I really like Williams. I do like it though; now. If you had asked me the same question 4 months ago I had told you it was useable but there are better soaps out there. Today, I'll still tell you that there are better soaps "out there", but I think it's better than merely just useable now.

I have 4 brushes and each day I grab the next in the rotation. They are 3 badgers and 1 boar and they all lather Williams. I never use a specific brush for a specific soap/cream, but always use the next brush in the rotation.

I attribute my liking Williams now to the way I soften the soap puck and the super ease with which that helps the brush load. Basically, it's more product and more water w/o the time spent loading the brush.

13. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Thursday Night

Another awesome shave tonight.
    Tried cold water shaving and it was fine but I think I prefer warm.

Sprock 6/8 - BS Maca Root Cream - NF2213 - Alum - Old Spice Whitewater​
    [​IMG]

14. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Been under the weather and never got out for Williams. So tonite I ambled into the shower with one question in mind...could the DE89 and Personna Platinum defeat a three day growth.

Three passes plus touch ups, and the sink was full of hair, and old technology won out. I will never look back at the cartridges. Thanx for all of your help.

And it's nice having my grandfather looking down at me from the mirror as I shave:

Preshave-three minute hot towel and Frasers
    JM Fraser Polar Ice
    eBarber badger brush
    EJagger DE 89​
    Personnna Platinum​
    Hot towel start (see above), cold towel rinse​
    JM Fraser's Polar Ice​
    Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum​

What a shave!!! I am becoming a regular CCS, a little better neckwork technique and my next goal will be regular DFS's​

supe, Mechguy, battle.munky and 3 others like this.
  15. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Williams Week - Thursday!

Hot Shower
    Green Marvy Mug
    Sabi Badger
    Vintage Williams with one brush load of TSD Yukihana
    Lord L6
    Gillette 7OC - Blue (3)
    Cool Water Rinse
    Hyatt Portico Lavender & Citrus Body Lotion
    Giorgio Body Spray

Fantastic shave today. The Yukihana added just enough scent to my shave, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Have a great rest of your week!!

newb likes this.
  16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

[​IMG]
    Open Comb Slant
    Voskhod
    iKon Stainless brushThe Shave Den Yukihana Soap
    4711 Aftershave
    4711 Ice Cologne

17. Oberloser

Oberloser Well-Known Member

Feintechnik Eisfeld R2 TTO Vintage Razor (former GDR Production)
    with italian Bolzano Superinox
    French Joris Pure Badger Brush
    Portoguese O´Melhor Shaving Cream - Cordial Thanks, Emanuel :wink2:
    German Florena ASB
    British GFT Spanish Leather EdC

Have a nice day! :)

[​IMG]

18. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Friday 23 September

Starbucks Italian Roast, Black
    TSD Iced Sub Zero preshave balm :smiley freezing:
    Mama Bears Awakenings, Stick :smiley freezing:
    Gillette Milord, w/ Lord Platinum (D2)
    Berkley 46, face lather
    Alcolado Glacial-Proraso ASB :smiley freezing:

Another great shave! I am missing BBS, by just a hair (pun). This shave was just as good as Mondays. One small rough patch on the jawline. This razor and blade combination just work awesome for me. I think I have found it.

SOD 23Sep11 001.jpg

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Friday

Prep: Hot shower
    Coffee: Home roasted, fresh ground Kenya Safari Ridge, BLACK
    Soap: William sans M Bomb
    Brush: Vulfix 406, The Burlington
    Razor: Late '40s SS, no date code
    Blade: ASR Platinum Chrome, day 5, 3+ passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, ice water splash, Brut ASB, Brut cologne

Shave Rating: 5 Blades

A fantastic shave. The Williams lather this morning was the best I've ever whipped up. Still not keen on the smell, but a nice, rich, thick lather this morning that helped me get off Friday morning to a great start. Now if I can just figure out what I did "wrong" with the Williams ;)

battle.munky likes this.
  20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Friday, September 23

55’ Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
    Dorco 301 (d2)
    Preshave Oil Blend
    Arko/ Classic Brand Menthol SS
    Vulfix 2235 Super Badger
    Osage Rub
    Herbissimo Mountain Juniper Edt

Great, smooth shave today.