SOS: September 2018

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Excellent looking razor and brush Doug!

2. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

late posting this & the Aug thread is closed -->
    08/28/2018 - shave of the night.....
    PAA Bakelite OC Slant - MUHLE synth silver tip (travel brush that came with a sandlewood soap tube is a gift set) - Wet The Face Pipe Tobacco Splash & PAA Cavendish shave soap...

[​IMG]

Terry, MR41, jimjo1031 and 24 others like this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Schweeet setup & Photo Amigo! :eatdrink047:

picturerock and clint64 like this.
  4. EzraCobb

August 29, 2018
    SHAVE OF THE NIGHT..
    PAA Bay Rum Classico shave soap.
    West Coast Shaving Wood handle and a WCS open comb head - they offer OC and CC for there razor handles a year ago (not sure if the DE heads are the same now?) - I love there handles, but the OC head in particular is not for me, it works but if your looking for a New Gillette OC type of shave - you wont get that. The angle is different and it is far to mild for me, I get a good shave but with extra effort. Also the comb bar did not seem level - I did drop it once in the sink it easily left a dent - nothing major but seemed to easy.
    The brush is a JAYARUH #256- a 400 type and faux horse knot - A++++++brush!
    PAA Captains Special Reserve splash is the bomb! it is oak barreled aged - so basically Atomic Bay Rum with Leather scent added - amazing scent strength that will last 12 hours.

[​IMG]

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sunday
    September 2, 2018

Aluminum General with UFO Colibri
    Feather Pro Super
    Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
    Fine Platinum Soap & Aftershave
    Stirling MITA Witch Hazel & Aloe
    Gold Bond Green Lotion
    Creed Aventus

[​IMG]

6. EzraCobb

August 30, 2018 - Shave of the Night
    * PAA La Tierre Mojade Shave Soap
    * Wilkinson Sword Boar Hair Brush
    * Wilkinson Sword DE Razor - with a Gillette/Wilkie blade from India.
    * PAA CREOSOTE After Shave Splash.
    This shave really smelled like a Rainy Day..
    peace - Jamie

[​IMG]

7. EzraCobb

August 31, 2018 - SOTN
    *STIRLING R4L Soap and Splash (this is a Tom Ford Grey Vetiver Clone)
    * OMEGA - Synthetic Boar
    * SUPPLY V2 Injector on the aggressive plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

09/02/18 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Disney Resorts H2O+ Sea Salt Facial Soap
    Crown King Alt-Eleven Shampoo & Conditioner Bar- w/ Prickly Pear, Neem Honey & Yucca Root
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
    Cold River Soap Works Limenthol Select Shaving Soap
    Wolf Whiskers RCE# 47 Custom Fluted DWW-3 25mm Black Wolf 3rd batch Synthetic hybrid/fan knot
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    RazoRock Black Hawk Single Edge Razor
    Feather Artist Club Professional Blade - 2nd Shave
    RazoRock Alum Block
    Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ice Sage Aftershave/Cologne with Aloe, Alum & Menthol
    Cold River Soap Works Limenthol Post Shave Lotion
    The Sudsy Soapery 100% Natural Rain Deodorant

D IMG_0836.jpg

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It is....that's why it's especially nice to use the soap&A.S. together.

10. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Catie's Bubbles for t/wetshaving | Dirty Prose
    BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
    Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

For someone who claims to have an intolerance to rose, I've certainly had my share of them lately. In reality, I do like rose fragrances. However, not all of them agree with me, and I still haven't quite isolated the reason. Sweet or dry doesn't seem to be the deciding factor. I've essentially resigned to the fact that if rose is quite forward in the fragrance I should probably avoid it. Otherwise, while I may enjoy the fragrance, if it's too forward---especially in warm weather---a rather intense and nauseating headache ensues. While it's a rather amateur way of handling this issue, I essentially avoid fragrances with "rose" in the title.

Dirty Prose seems self-explanatory, and possibly one I should avoid, even though Chris Cullen is one of my favorite artisans. Taking nothing from the redditor who contributed to the project, knowing that Chris maintained some creative control along with the fact that both Haitian vetiver and white grapefruit are among the architecture, I felt this was a relatively safe call. Besides, it was a way to support the r/wetshaving community, and should it not have worked out for me, it would have been easy to flip. After my first use today, I am happy to say this one won't be going anywhere.

I've previously commented on my impressions of Catie's Bubbles' Luxury Cream base, so I won't rehash it here except to reiterate that it continues to maintain its status among my preferred bases available today.

Straight out of the 98°F mailbox today, I cracked open the tub and was met with an excessively heavy and singular rose note. I let it cool off for a couple hours before using it, and it did not permeate the room as I had anticipated. However, the shower shave yields a best-case scenario (or worst, depending on your affinity) given the enclosure and the sweet, thick rose quickly filled the shower. It is a heavenly experience for sure. This rose does bow down rather quickly however in favor of the more earthy elements, but this never achieves "dirty" status in my assessment. (My gauge has forever been adulterated by the insidiously addictive "322" that truly displays Cullen's ability to sling Haitian vetiver with demonic acumen.) That said, the initial sweet aspect of the rose was obliterated by the earth right away. It is one of the more abrupt turns in a soap fragrance I've experienced. As the 2.5 pass head-and-face shave nears its end, a sharp and muted bitter citrus begins to pierce through the thick earthy and slightly smoky rose. If the soap had been my only exposure to the fragrance, I may have called this note bergamot. Yes, I was somewhat surprised that citrus was the latter element to make a showing. This is a well-blended and crafted story of a fragrance even in the confining construct of soap.

The splash and then the parfum both open in a similar fashion, but the citrus is more accurately identifiable as white grapefruit and maintains a lasting presence reminiscent of Catie's Bubbles' fifth anniversary production, "V". In fact, if you're a fan of "V", I would venture to say you'll like "Dirty Prose". That's not to say that these two are so similar that you only need one of them in your den. I'm just particularly drawn to the interplay between persistent grapefruit and the grounding of the smoky vetiver and then experience their crashing together to something greater than their parts. As should be expected, the parfum displays the ensemble in a more complete, yet protracted fashion. The parfum allows the sweet notes to come through more precisely with a controlled use of patchouli that's separated from other florals and fruits, whereas the soap alone simply represents these as nondescript, but still complex sweets. The dry down of the parfum is simply outstanding as it descends to a darker, spicy, essence that tugs along the surprisingly persistent grapefruit. I'm about 5 hours out now and the accord has plenty of life left as it's approaching a sharp, almost resinous nature.

Dirty Prose is a name that simply does not do this masterfully crafted fragrance justice. While I would have be completely content with a soap and splash set, I'm thrilled there was a parfum option as this is a fragrance that deserves the unabridged story.

Thank you Chris Cullen and r/wetshaving for the thoughtfulness and artistry exhibited in this project.

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

SEptember 1st Travel Shave
    Schick E3
    Semogue Boar
    Palmolive Menthol Cream
    Thayers
    Stirling Spice Balm
    CDE1D7B1-48F4-4DB2-9488-53D94041CE3A.jpeg

EzraCobb, MR41, jimjo1031 and 23 others like this.
  12. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Wolfman Razor Co. Guerilla SS/PolSilver Super Iridium/EB Latherworks Custom/Bvlgari Man in Black
    [​IMG]

EzraCobb, MR41, jimjo1031 and 24 others like this.
  13. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Tomorrow's shave today...
    [​IMG]
    TIMELESS/UFO :: EL DRUIDA :: LE PÈRE LUCIEN

14. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Alumigoose V1
    Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (D7)
    Brush: ThatDarnRob Navy 24mm BOSS
    Bowl: Suribachi 5”
    Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
    Pre-Shave Oil: Shea Moisture Iced
    Shave Soap: Catie's Bubbles Bailey's Irish Coffee
    Aftershave: Black Ship Grooming Captain Joe

MR41, jimjo1031, Jayaruh and 22 others like this.
  15. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

2 September 2018

* Blackbird Polished SB 101
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Maseto Shaving XD 2-Band + Oscar11 Amber Barbeiro
    * Mystic Water Egyptian Dragon
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

SEptember is a Stirling month!

September 1 (Time warping again here people - it's my newest hobby)

Razor - Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
    Blade - CVS Carbon SE
    Soap - Stirling Iced Coffee
    Brush - Stirling Two-Banded Synthetic
    Finish - Alum, Styptic, Shocked look

Let's unravel another time warp shave with a timeline of my day, September 1, 2018. Coffee at 7 a.m. for an early start thanks to the Labor Day Sale. At work at 8:25. Put up the window cling for Doorbusters. Start the day at that point. Work until 9 p.m. selling some beds and doing a lot of complaining about not selling enough for a sale Saturday. Home at 9:25 p.m. for dinner of a pork steak, rice, salad. Delicious. Change clothes, turn on the Uber and Lyft apps and out the door at 10:30. Arrive home at 2:03 a.m. after a slow Saturday. It is a holiday after all but still a pretty good night. Shave at 2:14 a.m. Unwind, read some posts and now it's time to report in.

I believe that somewhere at sometime I read that the Micromatic Clog Pruf was a milder choice than the Open Comb. And, since I mastered the OC Micromatic, I was eager to try the Clog Pruf. I've had it for a couple of months waiting for SEptember. I chose Stirling Iced Coffee for a great start to the month and used the Stirling brush to get that awesome lather. The blade is the CVS branded carbon SE that worked great in the past. After two passes and a little touch up I am happy to report that a BBS smoothness was easily obtainable. However, due to the massive blood loss I can't really call it a great shave. Ok, so partly great. And the blood loss, while more than I have had in awhile, probably wasn't really massive. Just spread out over my right jawline and neck. Clearly I either mis-remembered what I read about the Clog Pruf, or I just got too over-confident and went at it too fast. My impression after one shave is - it's as good as the OCMM as far as results and how it works. It's also as likely to slice your throat if you don't show it some respect. It took alum, a couple of rounds of styptic and a bit of cold cloth pressure to stop all of the little bleeders and weepers but I think I'll survive without any new scars. Might be a day or two before I shave too closely in that area though. I think I took off a layer or two of skin though so some tender handling is called for.

In spite of that I'm eager to play with all of my SE's this month, including several more days of the Clog Pruf. A new challenge to conquer. I'm ready to go!

Well, to complete the day's schedule for September 1, I'm off to bed at 3:07 a.m. on the 2nd, which is still the 1st since I haven't slept yet. I"ll see you in a few hours! Then it will be the 2nd. Unless I have to warp back again tomorrow from the 3rd.

[​IMG]

MR41, jimjo1031, alfredus and 20 others like this.
  17. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I can't get the splash over here :(

Edison Carter and clint64 like this.
  18. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Pre: Warm water splash
    Brush: SOC Boar
    Soap: PAA Solstice
    Razor: WS Empire
    Blade: Hollow Ground
    IMG_20180902_102346.jpg
    Sunny Sunday, SEptember Shave, Smoothly Sublime.

EzraCobb, MR41, jimjo1031 and 23 others like this.
  19. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 09/02/18

Rolls Razor
    E-Shave Badger
    Arko
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    Aqua Velva Musk A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF2835.JPG

EzraCobb, MR41, jimjo1031 and 22 others like this.
  20. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20180902.

[​IMG]

Shaving Society LE 2018 (silvertip 2-band, fan 24x50).
    Pré de Provence.
    Timeless Ti 0.68 OC / Stork Ti "AN14" handle.
    Supermax Super Platinum Tiger (1).
    Wars Classic EdC.

MR41, jimjo1031, alfredus and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.