SoS: September 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by James Kleinkauf, Aug 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I guess selling it made sense at the time! :shaver

Primotenore likes this.
  2. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Sadly, it's been discontinued. Some resellers have it on offer at inflated prices.

Seems that all of the Vi-Jon copies of Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and Jovan Musk are history, leaving only their imitations of Aqua Velva and Brut Classic.

I'm tempted to eBay my 6 unused cans of Barbasol Cool Menthol. US$30/can seems to be the going rate on this. I'd buy at least one new-in-box Hai Karate with the proceeds...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  3. brit

brit in a box

monday
    french goodwill
    platinum
    # jr 282 zebrawood 400
    gtb

[​IMG]

Gian, awk-m4, jimjo1031 and 10 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Skin-Bracer's history, too? I still see many of the aftershaves around.

brit likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

For tomorrow, no change except for the

Brush-Stoylin 26 mm "Pro-Handle".

6. Paul Turner

leads to a question-is there a difference between Aqua Velva Musk and Jovan Musk?

brit likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

GTB certainly appears to be a favorite of TSD...course you'd have to add Cryogen in summer months.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

thank you Paul.one day maybe..;):eatdrink047:

9. brit

brit in a box

tuesday
    brit valet vc3 short handle
    feather hs-10
    walnut omega 10098
    c & e west indian lime

20220919_122653_edited.jpg

Gian, stuartganis, awk-m4 and 11 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Most of my sales, not all, but most, I have some regret.

11. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Tuesday 09.20.22
    RAZOR: Stirling Stainless DE Razor ST
    BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
    BRUSH: AP Shave Co. 24mm G5C Synthetic
    LATHER: ‌Luna Cosmetics Mentolado Shaving Soap

stuartganis, MoAllen, awk-m4 and 10 others like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, SEptember 19th 2022

Razor : Gem Pushbutton- Mfg 1958-65, upper mild to tame mid range, excellent shaving razor, it was built when push button transmissions 1950's-60's for cars was the going addition to have in a vehicle in Chryslers, I get excellent shaves with this razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Cyril R Salters Indian sandalwood, nice rich mid range of sandalwood scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm silvertip, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber, great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse, Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood(some clove) + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with Gem push button with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

stuartganis, MoAllen, awk-m4 and 11 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice shave, Gary.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

thank you so much Joseph.:):eatdrink047:

15. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

I ordered some of soap...

upload_2022-9-19_22-15-56.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  16. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

They're much more alike than different. Both are labeled "aftershave/cologne" but the fragrances--not very intense to begin with-- fade away within 90 minutes.

The Vi-Jon Musk aftershave fragrance was even less intense and faded away within a half hour. You could really slather it on after a rough shave and chances are, nobody would even notice that you were wearing it. It was great to have around when I was experiencing the joys and sorrows of open-comb SE razors.

jtspartan, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  17. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

SOTD: 20th September 2022.

3.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Mandarin & Lemongrass Extract Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears with Mint Extracts Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Semogue 1470.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Cella Da Barba.
    Razor: Gillette Guard. (D3)

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / P&G Old Spice Original ASL. /Boots Freshwood ASB.

Greetings,

Early morning Shave.

Another close comfortable shave from the Gillette Guard with no errors to report. A great shave to start the day. I'm really impressed on how well the Gillette Guard is performing.

Cella Da Barba never fails to provide an excellent lather. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Boots Freshwood ASB.

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

That's one thing I don't miss about NYS, taxes. Just curious, where in NY are you.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Hogie and ilts like this.
  19. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

There's plenty of Mennen Skin Bracer around. The Vi-Jon rendition of it, which includes Barbasol Brisk, seems to have been retired.

If you still see green store-brand after shave lotion on offer in your area, look on the bottom of the bottle for the Vi-Jon logo moulded into the plastic--it's the same stuff as Barbasol Brisk. If you like it, stockpile it now while you still can.

Myself, I'm contemplating putting away a stash of Rite-Aid daylogic Arctic Blue--Vi-Jon's rendition of Aqua Velva. It's far and away my most-used after shave lotion.

Ijustmissedthe50s and jtspartan like this.
  20. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Today's shave: Fragrance Free Monday

Warm shower - face brush-washed with Yardley Shea Buttermilk soap
    Gillette Pre-War Tech razor - ball end handle
    Astra Superior Stainless blade - 4th shave
    Van der Hagen Unscented glycerin soap
    RazoRock Snowman brush
    Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera - Unscented

Methodology: Face-lathered. Full face WTG; chin and neck XTG; full face ATG; neck-only supplemental ATG
    Shave quality: BBS! That's four in a row with this blade. Stubble was noted on my neck following my initial ATG passes; lathered up again and did a second ATG shave on my neck. Problem solved!
    Nicks, cuts, weepers, irritation: None.
    Razor burn: Zero.
    Shave comfort: Generally excellent. Very slight dragging noted shaving XTG over most of my face.

After four superb shaves, it's time to retire my first-ever Astra Superior Stainless blade. I'd have to rank the Astra SS behind only the BiC Chrome Platinum on my list of top-performing blades.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.