SoS: September 25, 2017 - October 1, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have a Sabi three piece which I find too aggressive for my liking. It's a good DE, but I rarely use it.

sdguero, clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I love my SABI 3-piece. Is it the long heavy handle? Have you tried swapping for a lighter handle, might help. I also add a shim to my SABI, it may stabilize the blade a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Yehuda,
    I have 2 SABI 3-piece razors that, yes are aggressive, but are 2 of my favorites. This one is a totally different animal from the SABI, Cadet etc. 3 piece.
    I am pretty sure it is completely made of brass, and may have been made in Pakistan (rather than India - where the SABI 3-piece was made).
    I don't mind aggressive razors. I am certain that I will figure out a way to tame it.

jmudrick,
    Since this is a TTO (butterfly design) razor, the handle is permanently attached to the head. Can't change out the handle. Besides, it's too pretty;)
    In looking more closely, I think it may be the geometry of the head. I WILL definitely try adding a shim on the next outing. GOOD IDEA!

THANKS for the suggestions, GENTS!
    I love this forum.

RyX, sdguero, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  4. Yehuda D

From day one I had issues with it. It's heavy handled.

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

20170925_212552.jpg

So I'm officially done with keeping to the same kit every shave :)

Bulldog face wash
    That awesome Chinese brush that jimjo recommended!
    Musgo Real Oak Moss cream
    My new Gillette Slim
    Astra SP
    A little alum, and
    Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Used the Slim Saturday before a night out. Chose setting four and it felt a little like my gillette tech.

Tonight I made a snap decision to see what 9 felt like. I do not regret it. 2 passes (and touch ups) and this was genuinely the closest shave I've had in years. All my Tech shaves have been DFS, when compared to this. Second pass was on 7 :happy108:very very enjoyable.

SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 21 others like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Of course I was referring to the 3 piece SABI that Yehuda has. I don't think it has anything in common with the TTO. The TTO is a rebranded Pearl, the three piece sourced from another Asian (I think Taiwanese) manufacturer that a lot of folks use.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    RyX, sdguero, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. Yehuda D

I get nicked almost every time I use it. Not to mention the razor burn.

clint64 likes this.
  8. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see that now.
    I still say that your suggestion to use a shim is a good one that I will definitely try.
    Thanks

clint64 likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Assuming alignment is fine and that you're used to aggressive razors, I really recommend a lighter handle. I often use my Rockwell handle which is 35g lighter.

Linuxguile, Yehuda D and clint64 like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Mongoose B2 w/ iKon Bamboo
    Blade: Feather Professional (4)
    Brush: El Druida Red Heart Chakte Kok/African Blackwood 2 Band Badger
    Soap: Oleo Montrose Beach
    A/S: Old Spice
    Gift Set: Shaving Mug & Brush

This one is hard to find with the original brush as shown on the box.

25 09 17a.jpg

25 09 17.jpg

SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 21 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod170926.JPG
    Tuesday's SE Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #206
    GEM Damaskeene
    CVS SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Jeeves of Hudson Street Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #206 badger brush. I did two passes with the GEM Damaskeene razor and a CVS SE blade. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 20 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good looking setup Jim. :happy096:

13. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, Doug.

15. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Schick Type M Injector
    Schick blade
    Maggards black synthetic brush
    Proraso Blue shaving cream
    Pinaud Clubman aftershave

SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 13 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture. Your brush is gorgeous.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was my second shave with a Stock Gold Dollar W59. The edge it came with is factory, I just stropped it good. I had a super smooth 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS. I did get poked with the "Crazy Pointed" Spike tip. I also gave myself a tiny slice, on an old scar. Both were my fault. This razor is crazy sharp, and pointed. It requires attention throughout the entire shave. Not very relaxing.

Razor- Gold Dollar W59. I will call it, just plain "Spike".
    Brushes- Stirling Boar, and Omega 10066 Boar. Both new, both soft, both $10. Stirling wins on quality and softness.
    Soap- Arko/Rose scented
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman
    P9251199.JPG

SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 16 others like this.
  18. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Doug,

I love the mug and brush combo!! Thanks for sharing!

Dan

RyX, clint64 and EnglishChannel like this.
  19. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 9.25.2017

Pre-shave: Several cups of black coffee (like most mornings) then a hot shower
    Cream: Head Slick Mentholated Shave Cream
    Razor: Eversharp I2 injector razor (just acquired on Saturday)
    Blade: Schick (1)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's witch hazel, Nivea Cooling Shave Balm, Aqua Velva AS

I just got this razor on a trip out-of-town on Saturday so I cleaned it up over the weekend to try it today. This was my first shave since last Thursday. Initially, I was just going to apply the shave cream by hand as I always have with this shave cream. I don't think this cream is meant to be "brushed" into a lather. At the last moment, I decided to experiment. A few days ago I bought a bottle of Glycerin to try using with soap pucks, but I didn't want to wait another day or two to use it and I thought, "What the heck? Let's try a few drops with this cream." I'm glad I did. Using my Marvy boar brush, I was able to build a fine, creamy lather with just a few drops and a quarter size amount of cream (see photo attached). When I applied it to my face it was soft, and slick and thick. I don't know if it was because of the Glycerin or simply brushing the lather on, this time I could really feel the menthol in this cream. In the past, when I've used it, applying by hand only I couldn't feel any menthol. Anyway, I also did a head shave today as well. While I had enough creamy lather for 3 passes on my face shave.... by the time I was finished with my face what was left in the bowl had dissipated so much, I had to add more cream and Glycerin to make another batch of lather. Overall, it was a great shave! I hope the same for all of you this week!

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1189.JPG

SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 17 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SOTD - 25 September 2017
    UK Drugstore Menthol!

[​IMG]

Have a great evening!

SHAVEWIZARD420, RyX, poppi and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.