SoS: September 8, 2014 - September 14, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Sep 7, 2014.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Don't you agree that 25,00$ is too much for a bottle of Clubman aftershave? That's how much a store here charges. :(

figment714, Llyr, LifesShort and 6 others like this.
  2. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

That's what we'd call Highway Robbery! The going rate here is anywhere from $6-8 USD per bottle in pretty much any corner drug store or pharmacy.

Llyr, LifesShort, Troy M and 6 others like this.
  3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Friday:

[​IMG]

I love this brush! Recently my Simpsons have been taking a backseat since I got it. It whipped up a fantastic lather with my MWF (that hasn't been touched in a long time). I just love it!

4. crackstar

You should have heard what I said to the store owner! :rofl:

Llyr, Troy M, Norseman and 4 others like this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Tabacstag!
    Even Tabac could not save my technique this morning. I went too fast on my neck with the New, and I paid for it with irritation for a few hours. It's still tender this afternoon. Shea Moisture elixir and balm were not enough to keep the fire out for long. Live and learn... Lesson: no New if I'm in a hurry.
    [​IMG]

figment714, Ryan B, TSimons and 17 others like this.
  6. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Friday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Cella Extra Extra Purissima & suribachi
    Brush - Omega 40033
    Razor - Boker 5/8 Good as Gold

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

:eatdrink013:

figment714, Ryan B, TSimons and 15 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140913.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger
    '62 Gillette Slim
    Astra SP (1)
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Mennen Skin Bracer AS

The Mitchell's Wool Fat face-lathered very easily with my Frank Shaving Finest Badger Brush. Two passes with my Gillette Slim and Astra SP blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Mennen Skin Bracer after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    figment714, Ryan B, TSimons and 18 others like this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Is that the handle that came with that razor?

Llyr, RaZorBurn123, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. that is the Parker94R both head and razor. The only Parker 3 piece head that has worked well for me (good tolerances and no alignment issues). This one is a keeper.

Llyr, RaZorBurn123, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Yes what they all said:signs011:.

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Prep - Garnier Clean+ Smoothing Cream Cleanser
    Lather - Palmolive Classic Shave Cream
    Razor - Gramps Black Beauty
    Blade - Israeli Red
    Post - Dove Men+ Care Hydrating Aftershave Balm

Second time using the Palmolive as I used it to clean up my neck last night. I had a bad shave close to a week ago and let my head heal up :ashamed001:. I love this cream. I also dialed down to a 4 for my second pass using my BB, Thanks again for this razor Nana. Tomorrow it will go back up to 5. I have noticed though that it takes a few shaves , I am guessing 3-4 to get used to a new razor, even if it is the same make as your other razors. All in all a 2 pass CCS. Even close to a year later I am still surprised that I actually enjoy shaving now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  12. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

@Tdmsu - I can recommend a great razor burn cure. Do not fret as I will not state the obvious. Now to the solution! Zinc Oxide Cream.

Ryan B, Llyr, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tools For Tomorrow September 13, 2014

IMG_0757.JPG

Schick I-1 Injector Razor B&B Omega Essential Boar Brush

14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

That hurt all the way down here in Texas, ouch! I still do not get the idea of pushing a blade to more than 2 shaves, Considering that we spend more on a new shave cream/soap then the cost of 100 blades. Just saying!.

Boojum1, ram57, GDCarrington and 2 others like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Today I got back to my single most efficient whisker wacker in my arsenal....This lovely gets perfect results no matter how sloppy or clean my driving is...;)... As long as I remember to put a blade everything will be more than cool.
    She also gives me the best auditory feedback of the pack...She's a blast !
    image.jpg
    Prep:HOT shower
    Soap:Williams Mug Soap
    Brush:Omega 10029
    Razor:1924 Ever Ready-Shovel-headed Beauty with the heavy ornate handle...Drives like a dream machine..
    Blade:GEM Blue Star d3
    Cologne:Stetson Original
    Ax:Classic Martin Commitee...I had a request to feat. my trumpet again....For you Gary...};^)

I got a great shave today and had a great time getting it.....I'm ordering a round of "Great Shaves for Everybody" !!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    figment714, ObiDon, Ryan B and 19 others like this.
  16. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

SOTD September 13, 2014

Prep: Long, hot soak in the tub. Noxzema.

Brush: Van Der Hagen badger - possibly the only constant so far in my DE experience. Probably because I only own the one brush.

Lather: Forever Summer Caribbean Bay Moisturizing Shaving Soap (Ortonville, MI)

Razor: 1957 C2 Vintage Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip - my first vintage, and so far, still my favorite. At least until the birth quarter Slim arrives next week.

Blade: Personna

Post: Cold water; Razorock Alum Block; C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Witch Hazel Skin Tonic No. 010

After: TSD Blue Spruce aftershave splash (God save the Queen!), Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Post Shave Balm

Wow. If only I had that kind of time for a shave like this one every day. This was like a once-in-a-month type of shave. Absolutely BBS in just two passes, very little irritation, no nicks, and complete shaving bliss. Plus, it was 1:30 in the morning, so everyone in the house was asleep except for me and the Shiba Inu. Raining outside, feeling like the first chill of Fall in the air here. But I don't want to sound too poetic.

Tried the new soap -- in the beautiful thrift store pottery I snagged today for $2.99 -- along with both the new TSD Blue Spruce aftershave splash and the Nivea Post Shave Balm. The soap didn't lather up as thick as I might have liked, but the scent was definitely not clove-heavy, and it didn't dry out mid-shave like the VDH lather seems to do. The Blue Spruce aftershave actually paired up with the Nivea balm very well. I predict visions of sugarplums tonight. Overall, a spa-like experience and a great way to end a long work week. Now off to get some sleep.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410590540.077333.jpg

figment714, ObiDon, Ryan B and 19 others like this.
  17. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    Saturday Morning Shave
    Razor:
    Gillette Old Type
    Blade: ASCO
    Brush: Isana Men Pure Badger
    Soap: Camelot
    Cologne: Tariş Lavender

It was a great BBS with no nicks, cuts, weepers.

figment714, Ryan B, dscaver and 15 others like this.
  18. crackstar

Saturday:

Salaam aleikum wa rahmat Allah al barakatu!

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    #6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/Rapira day 6
    Gada Cool Mint SC :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Lubriderm Unscented Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055:
    Alcolado Glacial Menthol Splash :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Chabrawichi 555 Cologne

This terrific shave was on a Middle Eastern note because the Gada Cool Mint cream is from Lebanon and it's one of my favourites. It's very, very cheap but is it ever nice - rich and easy-to-create lather, smells great, wonderful skincare, and very cooling. My Rapira blade is still workable although I'm sure it'll have to be replaced after tomorrow. The Penguin gave me a super-duper freeze afterwards, and for those of you who don't know the Chabrawichi 555 cologne, it's from Egypt. It has a very nice, mild lemony/lavender scent.;) :D

figment714, Ryan B, dscaver and 15 others like this.
  19. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Saturday 13.09.2014

D.R Harris is a great soap and also one of the best sticks known to man, and with the fantastic smell of Marlborough I was really in for a treat today.
    This soap stick combined with the mighty Sithspawn gave me a wonderful lather, although between you and me, I could probably have benefitted by rubbing my face a few seconds more.

I also picked out the Personna lab blue blade for today’s shave, although the resulting shave was pretty good, the blade was neither sharp nor smooth enough to place it into my personal top five.
    I will give it a few more shave in different razors before giving my verdict.

I was hoping to use the Marlborough aftershave lotion, but apparently it was the cologne version I had in my den. I therefore improvised by adding a few drops of cologne to some witch hazel and used that as my aftershave instead. I have to admit that the result was probably less than stellar. But at least I smell delicious. :)

Face Soap: Fitjar Pre Shave Soap
    Razor: Merkur HD
    Blade: Personna Lab BLue
    Soap: D.R Harris Marlborough
    Brush: SithSpawn
    Aftershave Lotion: Witch Hazel & Marlborough
    Aftershave Balm: TSD Aftershave Milk Cedarwood

DSC_3115.JPG

20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Saturday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Bath Soap
    Soap: Rustic Shaving Soap-Mahogany
    Razor: Gillette Slim
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip-22mmx48mm
    Aftershave: Fine Platinum

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

2nd shave with the new RSP Mahogany. I transferred it to an 8 oz tub. Quick easy lather after loading for 20 seconds. I loaded a new GSB in the Slim. Excellent smooth, close, nick free shave. I finished with Fine Platinum.

Bob

[​IMG]