Sources of common beginner problems

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Leisureguy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Totally up to you.

2. captainamer71

captainamer71 Member

Thanks for the info I know I need to get better and keeping blade at right angle

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If you like using the Merkur blades then yes use them(although I'd have other blades ordered before using my last blade or two)..Otherwise theres no real point to waiting and the quicker your try other blades the sooner you can find the best blade/blades for your face.....:)

4. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I've been trying other blades, here is a brief summary:

Merkur - the blades that came with my 33c Classic from AOS (bought before I realized their markup). I got decent shaves, but after trying others, I see no need to go back.

Feather - my second blade, I picked them up at a local pharmacy before I realized the markup. They work well for me in my Merkur 33c Classic, but are too harsh in my 37c slant.

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow - the best blade for me so far by a pretty wide margin. They are more forgiving than the Feathers, but still provide a great shave, especially with my slant.

Gillette Blue Steel - I didn't like these, as they produced significant burn and pull.

Derby - not for me, cheap but also tuggy and burn producing.

Astra SP - not bad, but I only got one good shave before significant degradation.

I have not bought any blades in bulk yet, but I'm starting to look for deals on the o'clock yellows soon.

5. JCD

JCD Member

Brush, Blades, Beards & Grain
    Hoping you guys can help me learn how to cope better when DE shaving hubbys jaw & chin in particular,
    shave 3 yesterday and hubby is happy with result
    however I literally felt (on his skin) that the reduction wasn't as good as I got the first time - presume its the blade so ordered a sample pack & will look for any locally when out later.

This is where I need some guy input:
    How much difference does it make with the amount of beard growth?
    (shave 1 & 2 was approx 5-7 days, shave 3 approx 3 days)
    Closer inspection of chin looks like growth is straight out, doesn't seem to have a grain - this place most awkward & wondered on any suggestions so I get a reduction but don't overdo it

Lather workup has a been a wee bit better with new shave cream, but want to use some long standing recommended product that others get good result with for better comparison - if its my technique &/ a new brush may help - again didn't feel the slippery/wet as shave went on.

I think I'm doing OK with light touch - guess it helps being a therapist using a very gently/ light touch technique :)

Any hints/ tips welcome, although I'm spending way too much time here trying to learn as much as I can

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just curious, have you and your husband watched the videos yet?

Can't help with how amount of beard growth affects the shave - I shave every day. I do know some folks seem to get a closer, more comfortable shave after a day or so of growth.

How many shaves are on the blade you used? I ask because you said this shave wasn't as smooth as the first - it may be a dull blade. Most people will get 3-5 shaves on a blade before tossing it. Emphasis on MOST. Some folks have been known to get into the double digits with the amount of shaves they'll get from a blade, but this is not the norm. His face will tell him when it's time to change - the blade will start to tug and pull.

7. JCD

JCD Member

Thanks Steve,
    I've watched quite a few and still going through them :) will pick out relevant for hubby as needed
    The main thing I think is shaving another person means I lack the 'feedback' mechanisms you men have when shaving yourselves ;)
    and hubby is so enthusiastic & happy, so the feedback is mismatched with what I can feel with my hands on his skin.

Hubby was off the "grow beard till it drives him nuts, then scrape of as fast as possible" leaving a real mess of his face;
    shaving him before that point is unusual for him hence wondering about growth.
    this was with same blade so think it's time to change :) thanks for the guideline

Thanks again

8. GoalSAH

GoalSAH New Member

Thanks! I think I might just have the angle wrong, which may be making my shave ineffective. Will be trying again!

9. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Thanks posting this leisureguy. I still catch myself applying pressure and am working to break that habit.

10. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Seems to get right to the point and certainly a great help for me.

11. JCD

JCD Member

Wanted to update this post:
    Got hubby a lovely Merkur red handle for Xmas & picked up some Trumpers Spanish Leather shave cream & C&E Nomad Shave Soap as well as a sample pack of blades which has been very informative for us -
    - the new razor is great having a nice balance and has made a massive difference & I'm more confident (you need good tools)
    - Both creams & soap lather very quickly & abundantly - the Virtus I first got is much more concentrated & takes more water & work to lather so no wonder I was struggling with it as a newbie!
    - we use the Virtus shave oil which improves results & feels better for hubby
    - the blades tried so far only give 2-3 shaves on 5-7 day growth (preferred to date is Gillette Silver but we've still loads to try)
    - hubby can stand a full 7 day growth now because his beard is growing back so soft & not causing him irritation, neither is the shave product
    - hubby has only tried to shave himself a couple of times & we feel the growth back was different, (I presume because his technique will differ from mine) so i'll expand on that as we learn more in future.

We've passed the old razor onto his son (after I gave him a shave too) to see if he likes & will probably help him upgrade when its his birthday :)

Oh & I was so obsessed with shaving that hubby got me a EJDE89 for Xmas & TOBS shave cream which I'm loving for my legs etc ;)

swarden43 likes this.
  12. georgemoe

georgemoe Member

Timeless post Leisureguy. Glad I found it. Thank you.

13. priest2705

priest2705 Well-Known Member

Thank you Leisureguy. I love your post, and, being a new wet shaver, I try to follow everything you said as I work on my technique

14. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Just my personal opinion of course but I think the biggest beginner mistake I've derived from these forums is over-thinking the whole process. These forums are a great source of information, often way to much information for a beginner. Many of the "finesse" threads are really geared toward refining the process after one has the basics down pat: wash, lather with nearly any product that produces lather, shave using whatever angle cuts the beard and with whatever razor/blade is on hand, rinse, splash on some AS.

I was a decent bowler until everyone started critiquing and advising and I was a decent golfer until everyone decided I needed their handy tips.

15. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

What a truly informative post.

Superb, thank you.

16. brit

brit in a box

i shave every 2-3 days,sometimes 4.i get better shaves from this with no irritation.with my gillette rockets/aristocrats i do a 2 pass shave(wtg and across the grain).then i do pickups on the lower neck and problem areas.i use sharp blades; gsb,platinums etc.with my techs i do a 3 pass shave and use sharp blades also.i have noticed after a day or two the growth is very dense and evenly cut.this tells me how good the previous shave was as well.sharp and uneven tells me choppy shave.technique is improving and becoming second nature.if i continue to get shaves like i do now for the rest of my days i would be a happy camper.for me the british rocket/aristocrat series are my favorites and should last for the rest of my shaving career.

17. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

Thanks for your insight.
    I have only had the nerve to manage 2 passes at the moment.
    I want to let my skin become accustomed to it and prevent any irritation.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

after shaving with cartridges for 35 years i am still learning to shave with safety razors and conditioning the skin.still easy to get irritation if i overshave or get careless.time and patience.thank you,gary

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Good repost(and I didn't even do it).
    Me likey.

20. whispers76

whispers76 Member

Very helpful for new guys like me. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk